Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews beach bar boat driver surf spots fish surf guide morning surf going the extra mile freshly baked ciabatta surf trip within minutes chantal josh gibson indie supplies independence trips
Selected filters
Reviewed 7 February 2020 via mobile

Mentawai Islands are synonymous with surf but they are so much more. Staying at Bilou allows you to immerse yourself within the local culture. The hosts and guides are amazing making your stay unforgettable.
Every day we enjoyed excursions out to the breaks or into the local village and surrounds.
The facilities are beautiful- you really do feel like you’re on a deserted island...and....beach bar food is exquisite!!!
Let Gideon and Chantal know what holiday experience you are after and they’ll arrange a guide to suit. You definitely won’t be disappointed.
Each time I leave I vow that I’ll be back to visit this island paradise.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 January 2020

The perfect destination to go with a bunch of mates. Spoiled for choice when it comes to surf spots. Even with the trade winds not cooperating, we still had a few rescue spots close by and they fired!! Great accommodation, really cool staff and the family who owns it have done an exceptional job in creating this absolute gem of a spot in the Ments.

Room tip: Any! They're all good!
2  Thank jackcomeback
Reviewed 25 November 2019

Each day the four of us had a surf guide and boat ** to ourselves !! ** to take us wherever was breaking well (and it was even in the low season!). There are at least 10 different breaks within a 30 min boat ride and Chantal provides a detailed briefing when you check in to orient you and get you familiar with the winds and what breaks work when which is GOLD. Our guide Iren was super service oriented and polite, all we had to do was let him know when we wanted to head and where to and he was there for us. Its pretty top notch surf guiding really :)

The villas were great, Chantal and Gideon made us very welcome and were always happy to answer any questions or provide advice on where might be working and in what conditions. On top of that they are accomplished surfers themselves.

With the villas you have the option of being social or doing your own thing and they way the structure the dinners you can join other stayers for dinners Mon Wed Fri and cook for yourselves on the other nights.

The guys at Bilou are often out fishing too and they share the fish they catch - nothing like fresh tuna on the barby or braii!

Bilou has a little 'supplies shop' where if you take the all inclusive package you can go and stock up on items you need for catering - the coffee they have is great too!
And they also provide fresh fruit and vegetables during a few times a week too.

Just an excellent experience and like I said with a handful of villas you have the option of doing as much or as little as you like, one of our group was a non surfer too and she had a great relaxing time there too.

The only 'downside' i could think of for some people would be lack of hot water for showers, but you don't need it in the climate there and I think the crowd Bilou are aiming at are primarily keen surfers who are easy going rather than wanting 'hotel service'.

Chantal and Gideon made us feel very welcome and basically the place rocks!

If you like pets the guys have a couple of lovely Golden Labradors who are just so friendly and affectionate which again helps everyone to relax and have fun.

Transfers - Chantal can also organise a guide to meet you at the airport, get you to and from your overnight hotel stay accommodation and organise transport on the fast ferry too. So you can be taken care of right the way from the airport if you are new to traveling to the Ments.

So all in all - its a place adults by themselves or adults with surfing children should seriously consider. Would go back in a snap and hope to soon :)

Date of stay: November 2019
Reviewed 21 November 2019

I have been lucky enough to travel to various Islands around the world and can honestly say that the magic of Bilou Beach Villa's was and is at another level. The experience that we had was nothing short of exceptional.
Normally the resorts that you visit are always at arms length with set meal times, set itineraries for the surf/ diving/ fishing/ exploring trips which becomes a tour guide experience however one of the special features of Bilou is that you feel like it is your own home positioned on the best part of the island, Every villa has its own boat and skipper allocated which allows you unlimited access to this piece of paradise whenever you feel the desire to explore, you are literally on the water within 10min of making the call.
The accommodation is all extremely clean and functional and it has literally everything that you could wish for during your stay.We wanted for nothing during our trip.

The food was absolutely perfect and had some amazing meals which were either BBQed right on the beach in front of your Villa or prepared in the Dining room/ bar also again located on the beach with your feet in the sand.

The Surf/ Diving and fishing was all exceptional with so much to choose from.We embraced the opportunity but at the end still felt that we had only scratched the surface on all fronts.

The Magic of this piece of Paradise is due to the most amazing humble family that created it. A massive thank you and congratulations to Golla, Shanty, Josh, Indie and our skipper Eran for the most unbelievable experience.
It certainly is what dreams are made of and I cannot wait to return,

Jack

Room tip: All Villas are very similar and all 10m from the water
1  Thank jackmiddleton1
Reviewed 19 November 2019

Best trip of my life. Hands down. Perfect waves, breathtaking surroundings, epic diving and amazing hosts. The accommodation exceeded my expectation in its charm and comfort. Gideon and chantal made our stay personal and we felt part of their family. I got the perfect balance of rest and adventure. I slept better than I have in years and played to my inner child's content. Surfing with Gideon was life changing. With a couple of gentle tips, he helped me become aware of and change some bad habits that took my surfing and wave count to the next level. By the end, I was completely surfed out. I looked forward to the incredible buffet every second night and the mingling that was apart of it. Seriously inspiring to see how much hard work and love has gone into creating this magical space. Oh, and the 4 man 'tinnies' were a game changer. Compared to the other surf camps, we had so much more flexibility. We could split up and cruise at our own schedule. I can't wait to go back!!

Date of stay: June 2019