Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews mentawai surf fantastic trip other resorts his son pit stop making sure a short boat trip boat driver local knowledge these guys per day look no further any questions fantastic job heaven on earth half way pandan
Selected filters
Reviewed 21 May 2021

MSR distinguishes themselves from the other resorts in the area by providing the best service, value, and experience, and they do it all in a way that makes you feel like family. From the location with a wave right out front and the expert local knowledge of the other waves in the area, to the food, accommodations and friendly staff, MSR has it dialed. And it's not just while you're at the resort. Any questions I had or tips I needed for any aspect of my travel between my home half a world away and MSR, and Vere was there helping me along, making sure I had what I needed. There may be other resorts in the area but for me, there is no other choice.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Vere Dixon-Smith, General Manager at Mentawai Surf Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2021

Paul, what a pleasure to have you returning for your 4th tour with us. Thanks again for choosing us as your surf destination, and thank you for the kind words in your review. See you again soon!

Reviewed 18 May 2021

I can't say enough great things about Vere and his crew. Even before our arrival, Vere took the time to help us book travel arrangements and help us iron out the details since we were traveling around the world during COVID. Upon arrival, this place exceeded my expectations...by far. MSR is idyllic and the wave out front is one of the funnest in the Mentawai's. What more could you ask for?
The location is perfect. You are a short boat trip away from the Playgrounds area and a short boat trip away from Burgerworld. You are literally right in the middle of some of the best surf on the planet.
The most impressive thing I found during my stay was the work that Vere and crew put into making sure that you are on the best waves, during the right conditions each and every day. The first hunch wasn't always correct (most of the time it was), but they were not afraid of running the boat all over the place to key in on the right wave for the conditions. We NEVER felt that we didn't score. We kept asking ourselves, how can they out-do this day...and the next day, they would.
The food is simply amazing. Lots of thought and preparation went into every meal and we didn't have the same meal twice. The only time I took my phone out of the room the entire trip was to take pictures of the food each day. It's top notch quality and you couldn't ask for anything better.
The slogan of MSR is "surf stoke lives here" and they all embody it. Everyone from the kitchen staff to the boat guys, especially "small but spicy" Yacob, made the trip such an excellent experience and I would never stay anywhere else in the Mentawai's. Looking forward to a return trip soon.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Vere Dixon-Smith, General Manager at Mentawai Surf Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2021

WOW Jimmy!!
Thank you so much for the raving review! I'm humbled by your words and super stoked that you had a good time with us.
It was awesome scoring so many great waves and epic sessions and of course watching you all froth on it added to the good vibes.
Thanks for acknowledging my crew too - I could never do this without them and they love what they do just as much as I do!
I look forward to hosting you again soon!

Reviewed 14 May 2021

If your going to indo to surf then you have pick the correct place to stay. Vere and his son Tom, know every break there is. Plus with Pitstops right out front you end up surfing even more. Surf out front at sun up. Then get on the boat for a 3 hour session. Then surf at lunch out front. Then get on the boat again. Come back before dark and surf out front again. The food was also amazing!!! Can’t wait to go back.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Vere Dixon-Smith, General Manager at Mentawai Surf Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2021

Thanks for the review Chris! I think you ARE our grom frother for 2021!!

It was such a pleasure hosting you boys all the way from Florida and I'm sure you set the new record for hours surfed on any of our trips.
Looking forward to hosting you again soon!

Reviewed 14 May 2021

If you are looking for an epic surf adventure with an educated owner/surf guide, this is your pit-stop. Literally your pit-stop having famous Pit Stops just off the beach. The team at Mentawai Surf Retreat will get you to your destination to surf some of the worlds best waves. There are two dozen different waves within 30 minutes. Faaukin amazing. Outstanding food, accommodations and staff. Imagine... Four Florida boys traveling far far away from not so famous Florida Barrels half way across the globe during the COVID pandemic. To arrive at a tropical oasis with no other surfers and endless wave 6-10 hours per day every day Well, its that kind of trip and that kind of reality.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thanks heaps for your review! That was such an epic trip with you guys doing a historic period. So good to score so many empty waves!
Looking forward to hosting you again soon!

Reviewed 3 March 2021 via mobile

The whole week was an awesome experience.
Vere and his team ensured fantastic personal service which involved a seamless excellent experience.

Very good food and ample portions ensured we were ready and re energized for the surf.
On that note Vere, Tom, Jacob, Peter and his team have fantastic local knowledge and ensured that all surfers with us irrespective of their abilities had excellent waves.

There’s a huge amount of options in terms of surf spots so with a huge plus of having Pitstops literally 15 meters from your room.

He has an excellent relationship with all his staff and everyone is super friendly and so helpful both in and out the water.

The bungalows & restaurant have amazing views and sunsets that are absolutely amazing.

We can’t wait to be back, terima kasih.

Date of stay: March 2021
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank yabberdoo
Vere Dixon-Smith, General Manager at Mentawai Surf Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2021

That's an amazing review! Thanks so much, I'm humbled by your words. My crew are like family and are a true asset. They are the reason that we are so successful.
It was a real pleasure for us to host your group and we're stoked that you're stoked. We're already looking forward to your return.