Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews mentawai surf fantastic trip other resorts his son pit stop making sure a short boat trip boat driver local knowledge these guys per day look no further any questions fantastic job heaven on earth half way pandan
Selected filters
Reviewed 24 June 2021

I couldn't surf any more if I tried. My surfing has gone through the roof. Great personal service. Both my wife and I are super stoked with this holiday. (ok Tripadvisor, I really want to stop typing but you say miniumum 200 charactrers... I think someone should give you a bad review).

Date of stay: June 2021
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Vere Dixon-Smith, General Manager at Mentawai Surf Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2021

Haha! Go easy on the TripAdvisor boys ;)
Thank you Masiak for the review. Hosting you and your wife was a pleasure and so great to watch both your surfing levels improve. Watching your wife get out there and go for it was awesome. So glad you're both stoked!
Looking forward to hosting you both again next year.

Reviewed 22 May 2021

Our stay with Mentawai Surf Retreat was one for the ages. The idea of traveling across the world, into a country with Covid restrictions and limited access was daunting to say the least. MSR’s owner Vere was involved in successfully coordinating every step of the process to get us from point A to B.

Once you get to MSR, it quickly begins to feel like a home away from home, and their entire staff becomes like family.

The menu is outstanding, always presenting multiple hot and cold options for breakfast, with healthy lunch & dinners. I don’t think we ate the same meal twice for dinner during our two weeks.

Finally, the surf. Vere is 100% committed to getting you the best waves available every day. There were several times where we’d pull up to a break, happy with what was there when Vere would tell us we could find better. Sometimes checking three or four breaks for the best wind/swell combo. Vere found the best waves, with the smallest crowds for us every day. He also was a great asset to have with us in the water, detailing the swell direction, channels for paddling and reef sections to be aware of. And was just a great guy to have in your lineup. I’ve got to mention our surfing boat driver/music DJ, Jacob. That guy puts a smile on everyone’s face and is another buddy you’ll have waiting for you there.

We studied other resorts, saw them and their owners while we were there, and all agreed that we got lucky in choosing MSR. Can’t find one thing to say that anyone else does better.

If your going to the Ments for a surf trip, you cannot lose with MSR. Looking forward to our return trip!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Vere Dixon-Smith, General Manager at Mentawai Surf Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2021

Wow! Thank you so much for the very kind words.
Yeah it's true, we love what we do and it's easy to see why surf stoke lives here!
It was great hosting you and your friends and even more rewarding that you had such a good time.
I'm looking forward to round number 2!

Reviewed 22 May 2021

The cozy wooden bungalows with an incredible view from the terasse are right in front of a fun wave - surf from dawn till dusk right on the doorstep is unbeatable. The other waves in the area are short boatrides away (between 5 to 20 minutes). Vere and his Son have huge experience regarding weather, water, waves and conditions - you don't have to be worried about being at the best spot to the right time and beat the crowds :-). With the daily "surfcalls" you always know whats up and next. Surfcoaching and foto/video-packages are highly recommended.
The local staff is doing a fantastic job in all matters always with a big smile. The variety of healthy surfer meals are a big plus - MSR has the best chef in Mentawais! The dreamy island is beautiful and safe (incl. regarding Covid). Cant wait to be back at this happy place and surf epic waves everyday! Aloha

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

What a pleasure to host you again Sarah! Staying with us for more than 5 weeks is a huge compliment, and of course, now you're like part of the family!
I'm looking forward to hosting you again.

Reviewed 21 May 2021

MSR distinguishes themselves from the other resorts in the area by providing the best service, value, and experience, and they do it all in a way that makes you feel like family. From the location with a wave right out front and the expert local knowledge of the other waves in the area, to the food, accommodations and friendly staff, MSR has it dialed. And it's not just while you're at the resort. Any questions I had or tips I needed for any aspect of my travel between my home half a world away and MSR, and Vere was there helping me along, making sure I had what I needed. There may be other resorts in the area but for me, there is no other choice.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Paul, what a pleasure to have you returning for your 4th tour with us. Thanks again for choosing us as your surf destination, and thank you for the kind words in your review. See you again soon!

Reviewed 18 May 2021

I can't say enough great things about Vere and his crew. Even before our arrival, Vere took the time to help us book travel arrangements and help us iron out the details since we were traveling around the world during COVID. Upon arrival, this place exceeded my expectations...by far. MSR is idyllic and the wave out front is one of the funnest in the Mentawai's. What more could you ask for?
The location is perfect. You are a short boat trip away from the Playgrounds area and a short boat trip away from Burgerworld. You are literally right in the middle of some of the best surf on the planet.
The most impressive thing I found during my stay was the work that Vere and crew put into making sure that you are on the best waves, during the right conditions each and every day. The first hunch wasn't always correct (most of the time it was), but they were not afraid of running the boat all over the place to key in on the right wave for the conditions. We NEVER felt that we didn't score. We kept asking ourselves, how can they out-do this day...and the next day, they would.
The food is simply amazing. Lots of thought and preparation went into every meal and we didn't have the same meal twice. The only time I took my phone out of the room the entire trip was to take pictures of the food each day. It's top notch quality and you couldn't ask for anything better.
The slogan of MSR is "surf stoke lives here" and they all embody it. Everyone from the kitchen staff to the boat guys, especially "small but spicy" Yacob, made the trip such an excellent experience and I would never stay anywhere else in the Mentawai's. Looking forward to a return trip soon.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Vere Dixon-Smith, General Manager at Mentawai Surf Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2021

WOW Jimmy!!
Thank you so much for the raving review! I'm humbled by your words and super stoked that you had a good time with us.
It was awesome scoring so many great waves and epic sessions and of course watching you all froth on it added to the good vibes.
Thanks for acknowledging my crew too - I could never do this without them and they love what they do just as much as I do!
I look forward to hosting you again soon!