All reviews club room beautiful garden traditional accommodation complimentary coffee single room welcoming staff fresh fruit on arrival saturday night rutland water full english next morning proprietor school curtains bath
Reviewed 20 December 2017

Entering in to the picturesque land of Uppingham we couldn't have asked for a better hotel to stay in. it was beautiful. Large spacious rooms, welcoming staff and a great breakfast. We opted for the family room with a bath and 2 bedrooms which was lush! On the Saturday night we went for dinner in a local pub and having 2 rooms to get ready in was fun!

The area is lovely - a short drive from Rutland Water where you can run (which we did!) walk and cycle. And the village just a few minutes walk to the left of the hotel with quaint cafes, and pubs.

I massively recommend this hotel to anyone who is coming to Rutland / to anyone who wants a break from the hectic-ness that is life!

Room Tip: Medbourne - make sure you have a drive here. Lots of beautiful walks and pubs!
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2017

What a pleasant surprise to arrive at this quaint hotel - more like an old fashioned guest house in the best sort of way. The proprietress called me before I arrived to ask what time to expect me and to advise on parking, then greeted me by my name on arrival. Such a personal touch is rare in the generic hotels on offer everywhere now a days. A delightful individually styled room too with everything you could need, a residents lounge and breakfast served in a lovely breakfast room. A really refreshing change from chain hotels and I hope to find more such places on my travels round the country.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Fiona H
Reviewed 13 June 2017 via mobile

I don't think that this categorises as a real hotel despite high price.
You get a key for the front door and your room and are told that breakfast is between 8.00 and 9.30 and that is it.
The free parking is not on site - there is 2 hour free parking in front but longer is somewhere else.
No phone in room so if you have any problems I assume that you have to go down to find the proprietor.
The bedroom furniture is tired and the bathroom feels 1970s
No independently controllable heating in room or bathroom so it felt cold.
Others have said what a great breakfast but I wouldn't agree cornflakes soft.
Sorry but we won't be coming back.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
3  Thank Route66Wiltshire
Reviewed 15 April 2017

Stayed two nights in April on a short walking trip. Great small hotel. Very friendly staff and owner. Traditional accommodation. Very comfortable and tucked away opposite the famous school.Free parking. Very close to all local amenities. Excellent breakfasts with complimentary coffee in a pleasant lounge. A very pleasant short stay. Highly recommended..!

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
3  Thank Michael W
Reviewed 2 April 2017

A welcoming and friendly hotel conveniently located in Uppingham. Stayed for one night, paying £70 for a single room. The room was comfortable, and overall it was a pleasant experience. I would certainly return.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo