“Amazing Easter Sunday lunch! ”
Review of Rose and Crown

Rose and Crown
Price range: US$7 - US$20
Cuisines: Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Set on the edge of Bentfield Green in the village of Stansted Mountfitchet we are a family owned traditional country pub. Our kitchen offers seasonal, wholesome cooking using the abundance of excellent local produce available to us. As well as the best pub classics and home made bar snacks. We pride ourselves on our well kept selection of Ales as supported by CAMRA, cold draft, premium spirits and wine list. Family friendly, dogs and children are welcome, especially in the summer when our beer garden really comes in to it's own. Food Served Tuesday 6.00Pm - 9.00Pm Wednesday 12.00Pm - 2.00Pm 6.00Pm - 9.00Pm Thursday 12.00Pm - 2.00Pm 6.00Pm - 9.00Pm Friday 12.00Pm - 2.00Pm 5.30Pm - 9.00Pm Saturday 12.00Pm - 2.00Pm 5.30Pm - 9.00Pm Sunday 12.30Pm - 5.00Pm Bank Holidays 12.30Pm - 4.00Pm
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

We decided to celebrate the Easter weekend with our family and friends with a meal at our amazing local pub.
It certainly didn’t disappoint and all of us in our party (11 adults and 6 children) had delicious meals. Most of the group opted for roast, choosing various meats from the 4 they had on offer and everyone commented on how tasty and perfectly their meals were cooked. I chose the turkey & ham pie which was divine! It was so nice to have a proper home cooked pie with a base and lid as opposed to the half hearted attempts I am often served at other places with just some filling and a pastry topper. We all had more than plenty to eat and Stacy, Matt and their team couldn’t do enough for us all.
Despite being very full from my main, I couldn’t resist trying their pavlova and it was definitely worth finding the room for!
Thanks once again for an amazing meal, I can’t recommend the Rose & Crown highly enough. I look forward to our next visit!!!

31RandC, Owner at Rose and Crown, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2018

Hi amber,

As a regular customer here we much appreciate your comments. Kitchen, bar and all the team work very hard to continue to produce great service and seasonal homemade food. In this day and age it is great that we are supported by our local residents who come back time and time again. For people visiting the area who use tripadvisor as a guide where to eat or drink comments made here are extremely important and to know that not only bar staff but our regular customers are friendly and chatty is priceless. We look forward to seeing you again, Im Sure not far in the distant future. Cheers stacy

Reviewed 1 April 2018

We visited this Pub for lunch on 31 March 2018 whilst exploring the Stansted Mountfitchet area. It's rather off of the beaten track, but is well worth finding. Three interesting and well-kept Real Ales available, together with a wide range of menu options. All three in our party agreed that the home made food was excellent and the portion sizes were more than generous. You won't leave here feeling hungry! The service was efficient and friendly, and the Pub is 'dog friendly' (unfortunately ours had elected to stay at home on that day!). Based on our visit, I would highly recommend the Rose & Crown.

Hello, we much appreciate you taking time to write review and are pleased to read you enjoyed your time here. We look forward to welcoming you again, maybe with your four legged friend. Kind regards, stacy

Reviewed 25 March 2018

We booked the Rose and Crown for Sunday lunch, on the basis of the fantastic reviews on tripadvisor.
Not sure wether we came on a bad day, as very disappointed with the roast dinners we ordered. we ordered 1 lamb and 3 roast beef meals.
The lamb (1 medium slice) was quite dry and tough, the beef (1 medium slice) were all very tough, in fact my sister in law had to cut my nieces ( who is 14) beef for her.
As for all the trimmings which is stated on the menu board, our roasts came with 3 small roast potatoes which tasted like they had been re-cooked, a 1/4 of a parsnip (yes a quarter), a bowl of cauliflower cheese and a bowl of mediterranean vegetables.
I'm no Gordon Ramsey but you would expect seasonal vegetables with a traditional roast dinner, not mediterranean veg.
The highlight of the roast was the home made Yorkshire pudding.
My only regret was not taking any pictures of the dinners as they do not match any of the roasts on this page. (tripadvisor)
My overall view of The Rose And Crown
Poor quality and overpriced.

6  Thank ringo8180
31RandC, Owner at Rose and Crown, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2018

Hello, thank you for your comments. I would just like to clarify that we cook our beef rare and our lamb pink. When I took your order you requested well done beef, we accommodated you against our better judgment. Unfortunately when beef is cooked this way it will become tough and tasteless. We rotate out Sunday roast vegetable for the benefit of our many regular customers and in keeping with seasonal produce, we cannot please all the people all the time and it's apparent our veg choice on that particular Sunday was not to your liking, had you mentioned while here, we would have happily provide more roast potatoes and alternative vegetable, when we checked on your table on numerous occasions you told us everything was ok. I trust the other three meals of lasagne and pie were to your taste as you have not mentioned this in your review.

It's good to talk and give people the opportunity to rectify a situation at the time, in your case you said nothing until you chose to display here on tripadvisor. I have noticed that you have only written one other review since 2016 , which makes me wonder about the credibility of your comments.

We provide the best local produce at a competitive price and will continue to do so as our other reviews speak for themselves. I wish you a very happy Easter. Kind regards, Stacy

Reviewed 11 March 2018

We have just got back from an amazing Sunday lunch, the food and service was excellant, one of the best Sunday Roasts I've had for a long time. All the food was obviously home cooked and extremely tasty topped of with good Beer and wine. I would totally recommend, I think we have found a little Gem and will definitely be returning.

31RandC, Owner at Rose and Crown, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2018

Glad to read you had a great time here, we look forward to welcoming you all again.
Cheers stacy

Reviewed 11 March 2018

My sister booked here for Sunday lunch on Mother’s Day and to be honest as we had left it late we chose somewhere that had the availability. However what a lucky find this was. Only 10 minutes from where we live and an absolute gem of authentic british pub. Totally what I want for a Sunday lunchtime, bustling, excellent food, families and dogs. The food was lovely and the bar staff really attentive and pleasant. Stacy is a “proper” landlady and a million miles away from some of the more bland chain type pubs. We will be back again and probably even more since my husband has just pointed out that the beer is exceptionally well kept and unusually these days the correct temperature. All round fab!

Thanks for the wonderful review. Lovely to meet you all and pleased to read you will be back,again. Cheers stacy