Ballinwillin House
US$81
US$238
US$70
Great National Ballykisteen Golf Hotel(Tipperary)(Great Value!)
US$129
US$125
US$136
US$85
US$109
US$106
Travelocity
US$55
No availability for your dates from our partners
TripAdvisor
All reviewswine tastingvenisonthe kitchenwild boarirish breakfastlovely placepeaceful locationfantastic hoststasty foodfamily kitchenwelcoming atmospheregreat experiencedeer grazingblack and white puddingvery pleasant stayirish hospitalitycommon room
Reviewed 22 December 2017

Thank you to Miriam and Patrick for a lovely stay. On arrival we received a warm Irish welcome and in the morning enjoyed a gorgeous breakfast with the best brown bread I have ever tasted. We will be back!
Kellie Blaise

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kellie B
Reviewed 26 October 2017

Patrick and Mirrium were great hosts! The house has a history all its own, being over 300 years old! Our accomodations were excellent!
Our main purpose for being in Mitcheltown was to do some ancestory work. Patrick knew of a local geneologist. We spent the entire day with him! We did discover more information about my wife's ancestors! What a great 50th anniversary present! The food was great as was the conversations around the breakfast table. Can't say enough about our hosts!!

Room Tip: Cottage area is separate from the main house. Very comfortable and quiet!
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gkwalsh1365
Reviewed 23 October 2017 via mobile

We only stayed for one night but what a night.

We were staying in the annex which we think was probably originally stables or dairy. Our room, on the first floor, was spacious with atmospheric slanted roof and low windows. The bed was deliciously comfortable and the pillows were such a perfect balance between soft and firm pillows that, very unusually for me, I only needed one. The radiator was hopping with heat, so much so, we turned it off as we prefer the roof relatively cool.

The en-suite bathroom was really big with a powerful shower, nice loo and lovely large sink. The radiator in the bathroom was plenty in th room to keep it comfortable. There were both Barry's tea bags and good Kenco coffee and quite a few milk capsules.

But the breakfast and family welcome put everything else in the shade. Breakfast is served in the family kitchen which we shared with some other guests and the grandfather who is a sprightly 99 years. The kitchen is large and had a roaring log fire to add to the welcome. Pat Mulcahy joined us after we sat down to eat. And their son, and his lovely wife Laura were there too to add to the family welcoming atmosphere. Our breakfast was cooked for us by Miriam herself. We didn't opt for the cereals, the fruit, home produced cold meats and the various yoghurts. We did have some orange juice and homemade brown bread while Miriam finished cooking.

The full Irish - all organic, was primarily made from the Ballinwillin Deer and its wild boar meat. We had venison sausage which was rich and delicious. Wild boar sausage which was just gorgeous and moist, there were no bulking up additives, just luscious meat, herbs and spices. The wild boar rather was equally lovely and while there was no added water, the meat was tender, moist and yummy. These was all served with perfectly cooked fried eggs, and some mushrooms and tomatoes. Only the mushrooms and tomatoes were not produced on the farm.

There was endless good strong tea and great coffee to enjoy while we chatted about the house and the family. Miriam and Laura showed us photos of the wedding in June which took place in marquees at the front of the house. If they were to offer Ballinwillan House as a wedding venue, we could see them being inundated.

This house and farm are run by an industrious and generous family. The also have their own wine label, Chateau Mulcahy, the wines for which have been produced in Hungary. Pat constructed a super vaulted wine cellar which he showed us with great pride. It would compare with any historic wine vaults we've seen abroad. Ballinwillin do group dinners for a minimum of 10 people. The events start with wine tasting and champagne in the beautiful sitting room. Then the wine for the dinner is chosen to be served at dinner in the formal dining room. Dinner will include the gorgeous home produced meats and we have been imagining what it would be like to have such an evening.

We loved our time in Ballinwillin which we hadn't heard of before we booked it for ourselves. We don't often have such good luck and really appreciated our find.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank contactcarmel
Reviewed 5 September 2017

I think we didn't get the full Ballinwillin House experience that others reviewers raved about due to the owners being away. Nevertheless we had a very pleasant stay albeit with some bizarre moments. After arriving at the electric gates (unusual for a B&B) we where buzzed in and on reaching the property warmly greated by a charming lady called Freda. She showed us to our room which was upstairs in the court yard building. The room was relatively newly decorated and was very clean, bright comfortable and tastefully decorated. After a good nights sleep, I awoke to the noise of pigs squealing and the vision of butchers in white coats crossing the yard! We were a bit of a loss as to where breakfast was being served, having not been told. I found a staff member making up the room below us and she kindly showed us over to the main house.
Breakfast was served at a large communal table in the kitchen of the main house. We shared the table with a very pleasant and friendly family from Luxembourg. Freda cooked our very fresh and tasty breakfast to order, and it was delicious. No sign of the famous venison sausages etc though. Freda was very friendly and charming.
All went well till I went to drop the key back to the main house (not being sure what to do with it) when we were ready to leave. Off I went through the shrubbery and was greated by two large over friendly dogs, a collie and Golden Retrevier who proceeded to jump all over me with muddy paws, I am used to dogs but I couldn't get these two to stop and let me pass. In the end they chased me around the shrubbery, with me shouting my husbands name and trying to fend them off. Eventually the same lady that showed us to breakfast came and called the dogs off, at this stage I was destroyed with muddy paw marks, hot, sweaty and out of breath.I had to go and change my clothes, only put on clean that morning. Thankfully I have a sense of humour and I knew that the dogs were just excited and friendly, but for someone else this could have been a frightening and off putting experience.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mdheffernan2017
Reviewed 14 August 2017 via mobile

We stayed in Ballinwillin House for one night after attending a family wedding nearby. There were eight of us, comprising four couples. My wife and I were in the main house and the other three couples stayed in the lovely annex. The rooms were well appointed and spacious with good bathrooms, comfortable beds and all toiletries and towelling that one should expect.

Access to the property was through an electronically operated gate which led to an avenue along a field containing beautiful deer grazing. This was a stunning introduction to the house.

The real joy, though, was next morning at breakfast. We ate in the kitchen and all of us were accommodated at a single long table. Pat and Miriam, our hosts, were there to greet us as we arrived. They were very engaging... both interesting and interested. We learned how they had come to purchase the house and had renovated and updated it. They farm their own deer and wild boar. We were served a variety of cereals, fruits and homemade breads along with copious cups of tea and coffee. The best, though, was the breakfast fry that included everything one could expect, and more. As well as mushrooms, eggs, tomatoes, rashers and black and white pudding we were offered venison and wild boar sausages produced from Pat and Miriam's own livestock. They were simply delicious.

This was a really lovely experience, at a very reasonable price, and I highly recommend it.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family