“Nearly excellent, but...”

The Milk House
Price range: US$7 - US$71
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Situated in picturesque Sissinghurst, The Milk House is a village pub at the heart of the community. Every day the bar welcomes loyal locals, along with visitors from further afield, offering cask ales from Kentish breweries and a wide selection of wines that include offerings from the area's renowned vineyards. The Milk House offers a range of classic pub fare as well as a seasonal Dining Menu. A light Grazing Menu is available all day, while the terrace is home to a wood-fired pizza oven. On Sunday there's a choice of delicious roasts and there are wholesome choices for children too, all prepared with fresh local ingredients! The Milk House also has four beautiful bedrooms. Spacious and light, these have been styled to feel relaxing and home-from-home, with comfortable beds, luxurious en suite bathrooms and scenic views of the village and surrounding orchards. An overnight stay is completed with a hearty breakfast in the morning. The Milk House welcomes families and dogs and has an ample car park.
Reviewed 11 December 2015

This restaurant is nearly there. My wife's duck confit with the cinnamon and clove red cabbage , butter bean and apple salad was excellent (as good as if not better than what we have had in France). My filet of plaice with shallot and herb mash, fennel and watercress salad and clam and black bean nage was, however, not quite there. While most things in the dish were lovely, the mash was disappointingly bland, and the resultant jus was too watery. The dessert, a stollen and gingerbread/butter pudding with ice cream and cherry sauce, was an imaginative, christmassy version of bread and butter pudding, and quite delightful. The dishes are like those served on Masterchef, but in my view the plaice dish would have not made it to the semi-final. The service was friendly and professional. Prices were reasonable for the general quality of the food on offer. A nice atmosphere in this establishment.

2  Thank Edward S

Reviewed 9 December 2015 via mobile

Lovely looking pub, I remember when it was dilapidated and looked very sorry for itself. The decor is lovely, very in keeping with the location. Feel a lot of thought has gone into it. Went for lunch, quite limited menu. Had scallops to start which were very nice but as there was only 3 of them and they came with a salad garnish I thought £12 was quite expensive. Had sea bass as a main which was nice but the dressing it came with was a little oily, would have preferred a sauce. It also came with sautéed leeks which I was looking forward to but they came out whole, not in rounds so we're stringy which I did not like. This maybe just personal preference. I was looking forward to my meal, but it did not live up to my expectations. The service was good as was the coffee. Would not rush back.

1  Thank Lorraine S
Reviewed 9 December 2015

I pop along the the milk house semi regularly for a little beverage and it's always lovely. The other day I had some things from the bar snack menu and although it was all delightful the squid was ridiculously good. Best I've EVER had. Already planning when I can go again.

Reviewed 6 December 2015 via mobile

I left a negative review a couple of months ago when service shambles ruined our meal. Determined to give this popular pub a second chance we booked last Saturday for lunch today. It didn't start well when we arrived to a very busy restaurant to be told that they had no booking for us.
Somehow they found us a table all done with very good grace
The food was great. Tasty quick to serve and very keenly priced. And the service unlike last time was impeccable. Will definitely be going back Asap

1  Thank michael t
Reviewed 30 November 2015

..Well, too slow service and too hot inside. Daughter had to go outside to get some fresh air. Busy is nice but they should have opened some windows or sorted out the aircon.
Food good to better than good, but expected at that location and price.