“Birthday meal”

The Milk House
Price range: US$7 - US$70
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Situated in picturesque Sissinghurst, The Milk House is a village pub at the heart of the community. Every day the bar welcomes loyal locals, along with visitors from further afield, offering cask ales from Kentish breweries and a wide selection of wines that include offerings from the area's renowned vineyards. The Milk House offers a range of classic pub fare as well as a seasonal Dining Menu. A light Grazing Menu is available all day, while the terrace is home to a wood-fired pizza oven. On Sunday there's a choice of delicious roasts and there are wholesome choices for children too, all prepared with fresh local ingredients! The Milk House also has four beautiful bedrooms. Spacious and light, these have been styled to feel relaxing and home-from-home, with comfortable beds, luxurious en suite bathrooms and scenic views of the village and surrounding orchards. An overnight stay is completed with a hearty breakfast in the morning. The Milk House welcomes families and dogs and has an ample car park.
Reviewed 5 January 2018

My family booked a table here for a surprise Birthday meal on 23/12. I had heard of 'the milk house's so was pleased with their choice. Decor inside was lovely, very classy with an eclectic mix of furniture. The menu was a pleasant surprise as a real mix of dishes with something for everyone. Starters were ordered and at that point my chair collapsed! Causing me to crash to the floor catching arms and legs and back - I was stunned and couldn't process what had happened!!! Staff rushed over and I managed to clamberbup, a very embarrassing experience in a full restaurant!!! Another chair was brought over but that too was rickety. I must stress that I am not a 'large' lady it's all very well having rustic furniture but it must be safe. We were offered a bottle of prosecco on the house of which I needed a glass!!!!! Very sore and bruised over the Xmas holidays as a result Back to the food - generally very good all had different mains and only the breaded chicken was a little disapointing. I had the corned beef sandwich sounds odd but absolutely delicious - proper beef with sourcrout and cheddar - will return purely for that dish. Puds were lovely with a decent cheese board. On the whole we found staff and service very good. If not for my accident would have been a perfect Birthday evening.

Reviewed 31 December 2017 via mobile

We're booked in for the weekend, staying at the pub.

The room is lovely, the food is great and the kitchen is accomodating.

Everything works...

Reviewed 23 December 2017 via mobile

I have eaten here several times. Back in July it was my Birthday so booked a table for six. The service and the food was appalling. We had been sitting down for 15 minutes and no one had taken our drinks order, called someone over and they got the drinks and took our order. It took 45 minutes from ordering to bring the starters and the restaurant was virtually empty. Then the main courses arrived and two of the six meals were sent back. The waitress even agreed when I showed her that half of the massive piece of beef served in the roast dinner was thick fat. And the vegetables were cold. One of the other meals was also sent back and this the person said no I don’t want another meal. We had now been there 1 1/2 hours. My roast was replaced but now everyone else had finished and I was eating alone. Not an easy deal Birthday celebration meal.
We had now had enough so skipped deserts.
The waitress walked away and spoke to the manager who agreed not to charge for those two meals. We still paid a lot of money for an awful experience. I was also embarrassed as I had suggested booking here and we had invited friends.
The one thing that really bugged me was the manager standing only a short distance from our table did not come over and say a word. The restaurant was empty. ?? When we left the waitress was standing with the manager and when we passed them they didn’t speak. Could they not have even said bye and thank you.

Recently a friend was going there and invited me. Once again service and food was not great.

5  Thank sdd900
Reviewed 21 December 2017

Steer clear of the 3 bird roast....inedible! Very disappointed in the food, too heavy, too much mashed potato and very dry meat

2  Thank janebeaugie
Reviewed 17 December 2017

Went for lunch with friends and had an exceptional meal. Interesting menu, great locally sourced food and good service. Good value and we will go again.