“Not worth going”

Bukit Merah Laketown Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Semanggol
Reviewed 11 May 2010

We booked to stay at this hotel because of the orang utan island attraction. On arrival we were informed that orang utan island was closed due to the lake water level being too low. We were then informed that the bar (as advertised on the web site) was also closed. Obviously we were very disappointed. We checked in and were shown to out "superior room". The room smelled very musty, the bathroom was filthy and the facilities were very poor. We had the impression that the hotel was in the process of closing down although on asking the staff they denied this. The resort is very big although the hotel only had about 30 guests that we could see. The breakfast was half buffet and half set breakfast. I work on the principle that if there is bread and eggs I can always make a breakfast. On this premis I ordered boiled eggs to go on toast. When the boiled eggs arrived i cracked them open to find they were as good as raw- need I say more about the skills of the chef. I feel extremely sorry for the waitresses and the reception staff who must consistantly take the punishment for this terrible hotel. These staff were extremely friendly and nice under very difficult circumstances. On check out we were presented with a voucher for a discount for our next visit- we will not be returning.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
9  Thank nick045
There are newer reviews for Bukit Merah Laketown Resort

Reviewed 27 September 2009

Hotel is conveniently located within the resort grounds, easy access to all the attractions eg. waterpark, ecopark, jetty to orang utan island etc.
However the hotel rooms are poorly maintained with termite infested furniture and dusty.
I'm a bit sensitive to dust, so I ended up awake most of the nite sneezing and wheezing while the rest of the family was asleep.
Overall room condition not worth the money spent. Breakfast spread below average and food quality at the nearby foodcourt was also below par. However, did not try other restaurant in the resort area.
Next time around, considering coming just for day trip to the waterpark and/or ecopark

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank vyn74
Reviewed 4 June 2009

I have been to Bukit Merah Laketown Resort twice and both times with my staff for our company outings and team-building.

The first time was sometime around 2001 or 2002, I can't remember the exact year and month. We stayed at the Laketown hotel, the hotel was still new at that time and so was the rooms. The water park was great and so was the ecopark. The first time we were there I don't remembered there were cages on the orang utan island. We were allowed to hold hand with the orang utan and and even take them for a short stroll and the whole island looked quiet a natural habitat to the orang utan.

My staff enjoyed the team-building activities the most. The team building program was really well planned and the instructor was great and courteous.

Oh ya, the food was okay. And my staff enjoyed playing snookers and other games at the Marina Village during the night.

My staff requested for a second trip there as they enjoyed the first time so much and so we went there again in 2007. This time we stayed at the Culture Zone Apartment. I don't like the apartment. It is far from the main resort and you need transport to and fro. Too far to walk. The rooms were just average and not so clean. The food was average too and there were lots of flies all the time. There is a swimming pool at the Apartment but it is always crowded.

The ecopark looked like as it has not been properly maintained, the water park was still great though but I don't like the orang utan island because it's all caged up and does not looked natural already. And ya, the baby orang utan was wearing nappy as has been reported recently in the newspaper.

But again the team building activities was good and it never dissapointed us. In fact it was even better than the first time and there were lots of new activities e.g. the obstactle challenge, water confident, shelter building and many more. The instructors were great and really patient and guided us well and our itenarary were well planned.

It's a great place for team-building.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 May 2009

i stayed there for a 3day course in bukit merah suria service apartments.nice room,very simple and clean. each room has a balcony and mine was facing the lake.the service is good.what i would like to highlight about this place is the amazing food.even tho the main cuisine is malay food,it was delicious.they served a tasty food and my colleagues and i were waiting for the meal time during the course. 2 thumbs up for the chef and staff!another good thing about bmlr is the themepark nearby.it's a bonus for us to work and play at the same time.however,i do not recommend this place for a long vacation as you might get bored after a few days.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 March 2009

Stayed at Kampung Air Water Chalets at BMLR for two nights in Mid March. Resort is located close to a freeway exit if you are driving. Service excellent we stayed in top level accomodation but was well worth it - 480 RM per night expensive by Rural malaysian standards - there is cheaper available at resort.

Room - excellent, clean, satellite tv, large balcony,good breakfast, One no alcohol in mini bar and on resort a bar that does serve alcohol does not open till 9pm each night. No rules about having alcohol you just need to BYO.
Resort parks excellent in particular Orangutan Island - Magnificent!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and ECO Park Very Good - Water Park fun - it was hard for me to feel comfortable being only caucasian non muslim in whole water park i left my pants and T shirt on with bathers underneath. Good for a 2-3 nights you may get a little bored after this. Manger Mr Mustafa provided and made sure his staff catered for your every need.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank kelmick51
Also consider these accommodations in or near Semanggol
19.1 km away
18.3 km away
Hotel Panorama Taiping
Hotel Panorama Taiping
#9 of 16 in Taiping

Been to Bukit Merah Laketown Resort? Share your experiences!