“Best meal I had in Italy”

Taverna de li Caldora
Ranked #2 of 12 Restaurants in Pacentro
Price range: US$25 - US$49
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 10 October 2017

This dinner was spectacular in every way. The owner of the restaurant took time to explain every dish and answer any questions my friends and I had to help us decide on a dish. The food portions were plentiful and delicious to say the least. I was blown away by the freshness of every ingredient and the fact that a large portion of what was served to us was local. We could tell the own took great pride in running an exceptional establishment. It was clean and well kept, and the food arrived in a timely manner. I wish we had stayed in Pacentro longer, just so we could have come back to this restaurant a second time. Truly a perfect evening.

Reviewed 18 August 2017

Had lunch here in early August. We had visited a couple of years back in Winter, had greatly enjoyed that, and had planned to return for some time now. Delighted that we did.

In Summer time, I would recommend calling ahead to book. It isn't such a remote place, but one would have to travel elsewhere to get a nice meal, if they were full.

I would also recommend payting close attention to the waiter describing the menu - we had intended to order 2 courses, but he sugested just the one to start with. Glad that we did, because 2 courses would have been too much for us.

I tend to be cautious with the anti pasto; restauranteurs' interpretations can be very variable. We had a choice between that based upon lamb / agnello, or cod / bacalla, and chose the lamb. It came with 7 or 8 "supporting" dishes, all of which were lovely.

We then shared one portion of lamb chops as a main. (The folk at the next table had the mixed pasta as a primo; 3 different pasta dishes, all of which seemed to be reasonably-sized servings.) The lamb was as good as I've had in Abruzzo, where it's a regional speciality.

Wrapped up with dessert and a coffee, but not before the proprietor brought out a bottle of ratifia, some traditional biscuits, and then some genziano.

Service very attentive, but not intrusive.

For 2 of us, with a bottle of wine, this came to 68 Euros; not cheap by Abruzzese standards, but excellent value for money.

Reviewed 10 June 2017 via mobile

What a great meal. We stopped for lunch in this charming little village. The restaurant is hard to find even though it's in the main piazza. Once you enter the doors you realize that everything is first class. The restaurant itself has been renovated with little expense spared. The main area has a fantastic patio overlooking the mountains and valley and the indoor area adjacent to the patio is floor to ceiling windows. The owner was very attentive and happily recommended food he thought we would enjoy. We ordered an antipasto, bakala salad delicious) and an 'assagio' of pasta. Three small portions of pasta of his choice. We literally licked the plates. Delicious and the service was first class. Easily the best restaurant we enjoyed this trip.

Reviewed 1 June 2017

My wife and I heard from 2 different folks in Sulmona that this was The place to eat and after a long and winding trip through the beautiful mountains of southern Abruzzo, we timed our stop at Pacentro perfectly so we could enjoy a truly fabulous lunch here. I am a Slow Food fan and loved the way Carmine Cercone is so passionate about his community and the wonderful local products one finds there. We were surprised by splendid appetizers including the stalks of the local red garlic, white beans from the local farmers, ricotta from goats which was still warm from its making that morning and others, all above and beyond the normal appetizers one normally finds. We had 2 pasta dishes, one a chitarra with saffron and black truffles and the other with that great ricotta again and freshly crushed red peppercorns. A sampling of lamb ribs which were stupendous completed the series of wonders and all were complimented by a local Montepulciano which has few peers. We were already planning a return visit midway through lunch to this wonderful place!

1  Thank ddsoffida
Reviewed 18 April 2017

Amazing restaurant offering a plethora of absolutely delicious regional dishes. Servings are generous, setting is elegant, view is breathtaking, staff are professional.

1  Thank mdds6