See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 2 February 2020

Really clean hotel and staff couldn’t be any more helpful. Rooms are spacious and well equipped. What stood out to me was the attentiveness And friendliness of all the staff here. Would definitely visit again.

Date of stay: February 2020
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 24 November 2019

We stayed here for 2 nights for a wedding, my husband is a wheelchair user so we stayed in an adapted room which was a good size,very large comfortable bed, even better was a bath for him. Plenty of hanging space and cupboards. The only thing I would say is that the bathroom in our room needs updating, but friends who stayed in another room had had there bathroom already done and it look fantastic.
Hotel staff were so helpful and very friendly from all the reception girls to the lovely lady in the restaurant in the morning that allowed me to take my husband something to eat as he was unable to make it.
Just want to mention the lovely manager Kumar ,this man was brilliant at his job , warm , friendly and never stopped running around helping people. So nice to see a hands on manager with time to talk to people as well as run a very well organised hotel & wedding reception...
would definitely stay again

Date of stay: November 2019
Reviewed 27 September 2019

When we got to our room it smelt strongly of chemicals (cleaning fluid, air freshener?) I rushed to the window to find that it was not designed to open. The air conditioning was not working and the fan provided was noisy and not suitable for changing the air in the room. While we were in the room we had the door propped wide open so we could get air from the corridor.
We were offered a change of room but this was no better.

Date of stay: September 2019
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Reading West, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2019

Hi val k,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your stay at our Holiday Inn Reading - West.

Providing our guests with a simple yet engaging place to rest is all that we aim for, but I am sorry that this didn't fully happen as pictured. I'm sorry to leave you dissatisfied with the overwhelming smell and faulty air conditioning of the room. The experience you described certainly isn’t what we want for any guest, val k.

I want to look into this. I have sent you a private message to obtain additional details about your stay. I assure you that your feedback will not go unheard as the management team has been made aware of the incident.

I hope you give us the chance to turn things around the next time you stay with us.

Glaiza G.

Reviewed 1 September 2019

Oh dear, a huge list of things to complain about it here; where to start?!
On arrival, we learned that the air-conditioning in the hotel was not working. Others who have stayed at the hotel tell us that the air-con has in fact, never worked!
This would be OK, but it was 32/75 degrees outside and the windows in the rooms don't open. That's right, they don't open, at all. Not only a very uncomfortably hot room, but also a fire hazard as no other means of escape is available other than the corridor.
We were provided with a fan in each room to move the stifling hot air around at great speed and some cold bottled water from reception (for free!, gee-thanks!). I wasn't sure whether to drink it or throw it over myself!
So, off to the bar for a drink.
Alexander Cru is the barman, he's under training. Hasn't yet attended the customer care course, so my request to charge the drink to my room is met with a huff, and a gruff "I can't charge it now". When I questioned why, he strode off without explanation, only to return 2 minutes later, with no explanation, other than "Room number!", which I took to mean "Sorry for the delay, I've sorted it now, if I can take your room number, I'll charge that for you now". Alexander is a man of few words, most of them rude and abrupt. Hope you enjoy the customer care course Alexander, it should be an epiphany moment for you.
Second night, 3am, I'm asleep, covered in sweat of course, but asleep nevertheless. Then the fire alarm goes off. I hurriedly dress, go out to reception to be told "false alarm!". Great, better that it works than not at all I suppose.
Breakfast is pretty basic UK Holiday Inn fare, although the quality of the cooking varied from Day 1 (when the hotel was busy and the food was horrible), to Day 2 (when the hotel was very quiet)
One final point, when the Holiday Inn group has invested huge amounts in its other hotels, with features such as air-con, Electric Vehicle charging, light airy lounge spaces, this place is stuck in the 1970's. Come on Holiday Inn, invest in getting this place sorted, or drop the Holiday Inn branding, make it a Premier Inn, and we'll all have our expectations set correctly.

Two nights, two rooms, £525!! No aircon, rude staff, awful decor. There are better options available locally, Look there first.

Room tip: Go somewhere else
Date of stay: August 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank SteveBM
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Reading West, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2019

Hello SteveBM,

Thank you for your stay and for taking the time to leave us feedback. I am sorry to learn about the issues encountered with the air-conditioning system. Along with your observations about the level of service received, I have shared your comments with the hotel management. I trust that the steps taken will improve your next stays with us.

I hope you choose us again!

Best regards,

Clayton G.

Reviewed 6 August 2019

Room was clean & tidy as was the whole building, there was a wedding party there but nothing was heard in our room, shower was amazing & very modern, Breakfast was fab good quality produce & loads of selection
The Aircon was not working in the hotel even thou we had a fan supplied it was not enough to make the room comfortable it was just moving hot air, we was also unable to open a window to allow a breeze through the room, it was unbearable which ended with me not sleeping very well & having to have 3 showers throughout the night to try to cool down when checking out staff explained there was nothing they could do for at least 3 weeks, but would of thought we would of been offered some sort of discount due to inconvenience but all we was offered was a bottle of water.

Date of stay: August 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Reading West, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2019

Hi EmmaM162,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us among your many lodging options, and we appreciate you sharing your feedback.

Ensuring our hotels are always clean, our service always friendly, and everything always works is paramount to our guests' overall experience. I am overjoyed that you found our room and public spaces spotless, along with good soundproofing, amazing shower, and, gastronomic breakfast choices.

It is with regret finding out that your room was a little uncomfortable due to the unworking air conditioning unit that also caused troubles in getting a good night's rest.

This is definitely not the experience that we are known to provide. Your concerns will be addressed immediately with our hotel's upper management. This is to ensure we are on-track in giving our guests the best hotel experience.

Again, thanks for making IHG hotels your home away from home. I hope you will give us a chance again to show you that your unsatisfactory stay was an exception.

All the Best,