All reviewshighclere castlethe pubmodern wet roomeggs florentinevenisonbusy roadlight lunchon arrivalstayed longervery pleasant stayshort drivebreakfast was deliciousstayed for one nightshort stayearplugsstartersfurnishings
Reviewed 26 March 2018

Lovely country pub situated in a beautiful area - brilliant for walks. The food was delicious (I highly recommend the steak and the burger) and served in good time. The staff were extremely friendly and attentive. The room was lovely, very clean and tidy. We received complimentary champagne upon arrival which was extremely thoughtful.

Overall a very pleasant stay in a lovely country pub which has a great atmosphere, gorgeous food and cosy rooms - perfect for a weekend away! I definitely recommend this place and will be visiting again!

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 March 2018 via mobile

Rather disappointed on our return visit, beef was tough and the waiter forgot the vegetables. Needed to ask twice for top ups of drinks. I know it’s busy and run slightly differently when there is a high turnover of guests on such days, but the management are responsible for ensuring they have the right amount of staff on duty. The staff were friendly but I can’t honestly say this was worth £45.00 per head.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 October 2017

We booked in to stay overnight at the Yew Tree Inn mid-week for a short half term break. We had been hoping for a comfortable charming traditional pub. The reality was very far from this. First off, the pub/inn is managed and has a corporate feel with not a single local to be seen. Secondly, the pub was overrun by a 54 strong party from Vodafone who came over in cars and an enormous coach from Newbury. Good business for the pub but not great for the rest of us. I would expect as a minimum to have been warned in advance that the pub was being taken over for a corporate event.

Food was distinctly average. The guy next to us returned his burger saying it was too tough. Food prices were above average. Beer was good as was service.

Rooms are not up to much - some are very noisy (e.g. the Oak which is directly above the bar), one had broken lights with exposed cables at child height and the beds are very soft and sink in the middle. We had to move rooms twice. The next morning there was no hot water for us or any of the other guests. To be fair we were offered a discount but it didn’t compensate for the fact that we had had a miserable experience from the moment we walked in to the moment we left, unshowered. We will not be visiting the Yew Tree Inn again.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
7  Thank michael_down
Reviewed 13 October 2017

Lovely old country inn, easy to find and plenty of parking. Staff were very friendly and helpful at all times. Our room was fine, did not sleep so well and I did hear a spring in the bed go boing at one point, though it felt comfortable enough. First small negative was the selection of real ales, one was a stout or mild, the second was very heavy and dark beer and the third was light but not a great flavour. So I thought it was not a good balance. The food was good but everything seemed a bit on the small/ penny pinching side. For example my starter was king prawns grilled with nice sauce and a small salad. It was good but only three prawns and all of the items were quite expensive. It was also very noticeable with the cheese board... nice cheeses but all quite small. Finally the breakfast really was a bit of a disaster.... Incredibly slow, the order was not even taken until 20minutes after we had sat down.. The poached eggs all tasted very strongly of vinegar. We all said that they were as strong as we had ever tasted and my wife's and daughters eggs benedict were cold. So not a good note to leave on.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank PoitouCharentesphoto
Reviewed 18 September 2017 via mobile

I chose this B&B because of its proximity to Highclere Castle (10 min drive), I enjoyed my stay because of the supreme service that my husband and I received during our stay. I absolutely love the warm and inviting atmosphere of The Yew Tree, very charming with English aesthetics. It was very easy to book a room using the company website. Our flight arrived very early in London, we rented a car and drove to Highclere (took about an hour) we didn’t expect to be able to check into our room. However, the crew worked hard to accommodate us; we were able to enjoy a couple of beverages before they opened for business and check in! We were kindly asked if we wanted to book a dinner reservation, best decision ever, the food was delicious and breakfast was yummy! I would highly recommend this establishment and definitely plan to come back.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple