“Wonderful Culinary Experience”

Le Calabash Petit Conservatoire de la Cuisine
Price range: US$88 - US$2,321
Cuisines: African, French, Contemporary, International
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Le Calabash is set in a small French hamlet. Alison and Sidney are both accomplished chefs of international standard and the service is personal and friendly. The restaurant / culinary school is small and cosy which includes a cookery school and accomadation. Meals include a demonstration on selected days. They take bookings for private parties and groups.
Reviewed 6 July 2016

From the start Alison and Sidney were both extremely welcoming. They truly made the learning experience as fun as it gets. Would 100% reccomend anyone to do the week's program!

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant
lecalabash, Director of Sales at Le Calabash Petit Conservatoire de la Cuisine, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2016

Dear Lara,

Thank you for your kind words.
We at le Calabash truly enjoyed hosting you and your mum on a French Culinary Adventure.
You are both very special.

Best regards,
Alison, Sidney and Rebekah

Reviewed 15 June 2016

I decided to go on this trip as a birthday present for myself. I was traveling alone and was a little anxious about spending a week in a class full of strangers. Within an hour of arriving, I knew there was absolutely nothing to worry about. It's hard to express how amazing this week was. Sidney and Allison are so skilled individually and are truly gifted teachers, sharing their knowledge with patience and ease that made me confident to go home and try these dishes on my own. I learned more in this week than I have in years of teaching myself. Whether you are a beginner learning your way around the kitchen, or in the kitchen every day, you will still walk away with a wealth of knowledge. I made great food, saw some of the most beautiful French history and countryside, and walked away with a pair of mentors for my hopeful baking business. This has been one of the best investments I've ever made for myself and I'm already trying to plan my next trip!

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant
lecalabash, Owner at Le Calabash Petit Conservatoire de la Cuisine, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2016

Dear Tippi
Thank you so much for a wonderful reveiw. We all loved having you here on a Culinary Adventure at le Calabash with us. It was so evident that you loved cooking and baking and sharring our knowledge and passion with you was a absolute pleasure. We belive you will make a great pastry chef and would do so well having your own little Bakery or Pastry shop. Keep us posted and if you need any advise, we are here !

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 13 June 2016

My wife and I spent a wonderful 4 days with Sid and Alison (and their family) at Le Calabash cooking, storytelling, and learning culinary experience in the laid-back, comfortable setting of their small cooking school. Their school, attached to their residence, is set in the Loire Valley of France, near the village of La Roche Posay, in the bread-basket of France. With the best quality ingredients (from the region, naturally), our hosts set forth of a program of menu items that were delicious, easy to create, and told a story of simple, healthy cooking. Every meal we enjoyed was inherently healthful, and it was woven into the French philosophy of food culture.
The foods we created, whether it was chicken, vegetable dishes, or desserts, had a reason for their existence. Our hosts answered our questions with care and respect, as we learned the "whats" and "whys' of our cooking. Our meals always involved cordial discussions about a variety of topics, always coming back to the FOOD!
Our accommodations, the Chateau Valcreuse, were comfortable and peaceful. Whether taking some free time at the pool, taking a bike ride to the village, or just relaxing among the well-manicured estate, we felt at home.
Sid and Alison welcomed us into their home, to tell us their story- in words and in their food. We were honored to have shared in this experience, and if the opportunity presents to repay their great service to us, we would undoubtedly do the same for them- and we happily look forward to it.

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant
lecalabash, Director of Sales at Le Calabash Petit Conservatoire de la Cuisine, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2016

Dear Tim and Tracy,

Thank you for your review and you lovely words. We enjoyed having you both here at le Calabash and are so pleased you enjoyed your time here cooking and discovering the Loire Valley.

Best regards,
Alison and Sidney

Reviewed 13 June 2016

Such has been my good fortune that I have attended Le Calabash not once, but twice. My first experience in 2014 was so outstanding that I promised to return with my daughters. Sidney and Alison patiently but firmly teach and inspire in the kitchen. Cooks of any level will learn a great deal, and all are welcomed and encouraged equally. The more accomplished the cook, the more in-depth the experience. So it is perfect for every cook. Layered on top of that are the local excursions that expand this week from all culinary to a Loire Valley experience in total. It is a fantastic week. Don't think twice. Go!

Dear Ann,

Thank you for your kind words. It was a pleasure to have you back here at le Calabash.
Keep in contact and keep it cooking !

Warm regards,
Alison and Sidney

Reviewed 6 June 2016

I am really happy to have the opportunity to be at Le Calabash Petit Conservatoire de la Cuisine. I learned a lot and now I can share my knowledge with my family and friends. Is an experience that you never going to forget in your life.

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant
lecalabash, Director of Sales at Le Calabash Petit Conservatoire de la Cuisine, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2016

Dear Patty,

Thank you so much for your kind words, we can't wait to have you back here long term at le Calabash, you are a delight !
Please send us photos of your dishes that you cook for your friends and family, we would love to see them.

Love,