All reviewspienew ownersthe pubevening mealbar areayorkshire dalesburgerwarm welcomedining roomfood was lovelylast visitpuddingwell worth a visitfew drinksattentive stafflarge car parksmall portions
Reviewed 6 July 2018

Our family were self catering in the area and were recommended to the Maypole for my husband's birthday meal. Firstly I must comment that there was a lovely choice on the menu and the food was excellent.

I rang three weeks ago to book a birthday lunch at 12.30 for six people. The man I spoke to was very friendly and even commented that the booking was on American Independent Day. It is a pity that this friendliness does not extend to the staff. They were most unfriendly and did nothing to make us feel welcome, as we were leaving three staff were standing at the bar talking and not one of them could look up and say goodbye or ask if we had had a nice meal - some customer relations training would certainly not go amiss..

Considering I had booked three weeks ago we had two tables pushed together - tables 6 and 7 as the numbers were on them. My husband had to clamber onto the couch part to even get his legs under the table and two guests were sitting at an angle on the table which had been added.

As our meals arrived two ladies arrived with a dog and the chair of one of these ladies was completely back to back with one of our guests. As our guest's meal arrived the lady proceeded to get a bowl of water out for the dog which started shaking itself immediately next to our guest. The guest asked very politely if the lady would mind moving the dog to the other side of the table as she did not want a dog so near to her whilst eating a meal.

The lady got up and remonstrated with out guest that she was spoiling her mother's birthday and told her to Shut Up and Be Quiet. Not wanting to make a fuss our guest just said that she had asked politely and there was no need to speak in that tone.

Eventually a member of staff moved the two ladies and their dog to the other side of the restaurant.

It was only when we were leaving that we saw a notice in the entrance that the left hand side of the bar area was for people with dogs.

Why did we have to be seated where there were dogs, there was plenty of room in the rest of the bar area and a better configuration of tables and it should have been highlighted to me on the phone that where we were siting was the area for people with dogs.

I had originally asked for a table in the restaurant but was told the restaurant was only open in the evening hence we had the meal in the bar.

If I had known we were being seated in a dogs' area I would never have booked and if we had seen this sign when we entered the Maypole would have asked for another table.

Yes - whilst the food was lovely, the unfriendliness of the staff made us feel unwelcome and the rudeness of the lady with the dog was totally uncalled for and can only think she was probably local which cast a shadow over our celebration.

Room Tip: Did not use accom. if don't like eating with dogs around give place a miss or ensure your table is on right hand side of bar.
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank 815Evertonian
Reviewed 6 July 2018 via mobile

Passed many times but never stopped before, we will certainly call again. Only the welcome was warmer than the food, great host, fantastic service and unbeatable food. Don't think we'll be able to pass it by again.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

Wow! Just spent the weekend here for my other half’s birthday. Ate in the restaurant Friday & Saturday nights and was thoroughly impressed. Also some of the best kept real ale I’ve had in a long time. The food, accommodation and hospitality are first class. Will definitely be staying again.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Iain O
Reviewed 18 June 2018

Owner and staff all made us feel very welcome.
Plenty of parking behind the property.
Rooms were large, modern and very well equipped. Always nice to have free water.
Restaurant was great with a lot of choice and some nice specials. Emphasis was on taste not size which was very welcome.
Bit of noise from the road so if this bothers you bring some earlugs.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
2  Thank SP1200
Reviewed 15 June 2018

We've never been to this pub before but knew the landlord had previously been at The Craven Heifer in Skipton. We opted for the 3 peaks steak pie and weren't disappointed. It was superb, served with chips and a good selection of mixed vegetables.We chose the small portion which was much larger than expected so glad we didn't opt for the large version. Good value at £10.95 and we left full and satisfied. We'll certainly go again sometime when we're in the vicinity

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple