All reviews island hopping countryside tour tarsier sanctuary star fish city life a wonderful stay tables and chairs peaceful place low tide pangangan island sea cucumbers tours resort driver bohol hammocks port
Reviewed 20 November 2011

When I remember our stay at Isla Hayahay, I think about the food. The glorious food. I had to shake the hands of the cook before I left because every morning we'd wake up and wonder what we were going to be eating that day. 4 options for breakfast (I always went with the pancakes), lunch and dinner always started with a soup, followed by 3 more dishes. And every meal ended with a delicious dessert. Even a simple fruit salad was made special by the subtle taste of calamansi squeezed on top of it. It is clear that a lot of thought, care and detail has gone into every aspect of Isla Hayahay.

We stayed for 4 days-3nights and had food and some tours included. But the best place to see turned out to be the reef in front of the resort. They take you there by their own boat accompanied by a guide who will snorkel with you and I guarantee you will be amazed. I honestly don't want to say too much for fear of the place being discovered by too many too quickly.

The staff are helpful and friendly. We met Paul the owner and you have to admire his dedication to the place, we had many interesting chats. The rooms are very comfortable and clean. Bathrooms are big and western style (no hand spray near the toilet). The bed was very comfortable with extra pillows thrown in. There was TV and aircon.

The resort is on Pangangan Island so be aware that is very far from most attractions like the chocolate hills and various other places. It is however close to Calibao where I’ve been told there’s some excellent diving (on the list for another trip). Another trip to Bohol is definitely on the cards and I would pick some place to stay on Panglao Island so I can reach Balicasag and other dive sites easily but I will be sure to come back to Isla Hayahay to relax, for the great food and the beautiful Pangangan reef already beckons.

Tip: Skip the Loboc River cruise. Huge tourist trap. Did not enjoy being trust into a boat with 30 other people all rushing towards the very average buffet.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank nafz
Reviewed 25 October 2011

My fiance and I wanted to escape from the pollution and traffic of Manila, so we decided to travel to Bohol and experience some of the natural beauty. We decided we wanted to get off the beaten path and away from the noisy, screaming child-infested hotels and resorts that most tourists frequent. Instead we heard of this place, Isla Hayahay, and after doing some research we took a chance and made a reservation.

I must admit, being a "city-boy", this place was a little out of my comfort zone at first. It takes a "bumpy" car ride through an unpaved road to reach the resort, but within the first hour, I found myself really relaxing and getting lost in the beauty and tranquility of this little diamond in the ruff. There are a handful of rooms, but they are very quaint and cozy. They have a tropical motif, but most importantly have A/C.

Perhaps one of the best features of this resort is the food. Ms. Ara is by far one of the greatest cooks I have ever seen. Among all the great things we were doing and seeing in Bohol, trying to anticipate what Ms. Ara was going to be making for our next meal was among one of the best features of this trip.

As for activities, Isla Hayahay offers a vast array of great activities and tours. We took a cross island tour to Chocolate Hills, the Tarsier sanctuary and a lunch via river cruise among other things. The best thing is that the tour guide (Nicest guy too) was very adaptable and able to make this private tour the best experience possible. We also went snorkeling and got a chance to take pictures with giant clams and other sea critters. It was amazing.

In short, if you are visiting Bohol and are looking for an alternative to the usual craziness of most modern resorts and hotels, give Isla Hayahay a try. Your stay and the activities are all fairly priced, the staff are as friendly and warm and easygoing as that infamous Philippine "provincial hospitality" would lead you to believe, and most of all the food is amazingly delicious...

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cracky_Bear
Reviewed 18 October 2011

Absolutely fantastic place to stay,,Very clean,,great food,,very friendly,,My family & I stayed for 3 days and I will go back again,,
Good size bathroom & toilet..

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed 27 September 2011

We had a lovely time at Isla Hayahay, we did an all inclusive deal for 3 days which included all our meal, a day trip around Bohol and boat trip. The food was amazing, expect to put on a few pounds as the portions are huge and so tasty! The rooms are a great size and very comfort, it's a very peaceful place and you will go ahead feeling very relaxed and well feed.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Pretty P
Reviewed 27 September 2011

This place is a real jewel. Ara and Paul and the very friendly staff really look after their guests. We stayed for 4 nights and just wanted to relax. Package C was a great choice with one extra night. Absolutly fantastic time, and I must say the food is exceptional. This is the true Philippines adventure that you must experience. I cant wait to go back.

Room Tip: Just ask the staff they are great and very friendly
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple