Open today: 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Review Highlights
Great tour 😀

Fantastic tour with a great insight of the goal... Hearing about the history and seeing the cells... read more

Reviewed 5 days ago
angiesJ9776CL
Newcastle, Australia
via mobile
An eye opener

Reviewed 18 January 2021
rogertT5970AK
Coffs Harbour, Australia

All reviews self guided tour night tour interesting place to visit two hours ex convict my partner an eye opener hell hole prisoners stories maitland audio ivan milat escapes australia
Selected filters
Reviewed 18 January 2021

Really interesting place, and so glad I can see it and be allowed to walk out at the end of the day. A tip for you... when you download the tour app it stays on your phone even after you have left the gaol, this is especially handy of you have impatient members in your group who don't want to listen to all of the narrative, ie it means you can listen to it later on your own.
Only thing I would ask to change is to be allowed up to the guards walk on the perimeter wall and to see the towers, otherwise really good. Roger

Date of experience: January 2021
Reviewed 9 January 2021 via mobile

My partner and I experienced a themed night tour as part of a group of 28 adult guests. On the night, we were greeted outside the prison gates by our knowledgable and charismatic tour guide, Robyn. Once everyone had arrived, we embarked on our tour of the facility. We found the ‘Crimes of Passion’ tour and the half a dozen (or so) stories told to be very interesting. I’d recommend bringing a light jacket, wearing flats and bringing a spray jacket or poncho if it looks like rain. I’d also recommend eating prior to the 8pm tour and saving your drinks until after as the tour doesn’t bypass the facilities (located at the entry/ exit). For one reason on another, due to COVID, it’s not a torchlight tour as such as the prison floodlights are on. We’d recommend this tour to adult singles, couples and groups, and will be sure to return with friends and family in future :)

Date of experience: December 2020
Reviewed 27 December 2020 via mobile

My Mum & I enjoyed our Guided Day Tour 150 years Under Lock and key. The guide was very informative & it was very interesting. This is our first time here & we love history. We had some Children in the group & they were included, the tour guide asked them special questions, just for the Children to answer , to keep them interested. It was great.
We would love to come back some time & do a night tour. Thank you very much. This is a must if you are in this area. Great for all ages.
PS. Family with no Teenagers.

Date of experience: December 2020
Reviewed 26 November 2020

Really enjoyed the tour, it was interesting. Due to Covid there were some restrictions but I am sure when these are lifted it will be an excellent experience.

Date of experience: November 2020
Reviewed 15 November 2020 via mobile

We did the torchlight history tour at 8pm. Our tour guide was knowledgeable and friendly and we loved hearing all the stories about the old and new parts of the gaol. It would have been good to have more cells open in the various wings, which would have made it easier to adhere to social distancing protocols. But otherwise we enjoyed the evening. An interesting piece of Australian history.

Date of experience: November 2020