“Four Seasons?? Really?!”

Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Mae Rim
Reviewed 22 May 2012

I'm sorry, but this property does not deserve to be called a Four Seasons! Our dissatisfaction started out with the concierge. We wanted to set up an elephant experience, and also a special dinner for my birthday. I contacted concierge online weeks before our trip. They sent me some choices for elephant trekking, etc. and when I decided on one of them, they got back to me and told me that it was not available, but they recommended Baan Chang. We wanted a private elephant experience, and not to be with a group, so they told us that it would be 5,900 Baht each for this, which is a total of 11,800 Baht. Expensive, but worth it we thought. And it was worth it. A driver picked us up at 7:30 in the morning, and we were taken to the elephant camp. They rescue elephants, and treat them well. We rode them bare back and washed them in the river. It was awesome. However, after learning about the elephants, and before we rode them, our guide told us that we paid to ride only one elephant together, and not our own separate elephants. We thought this was very odd, because why would we go to the expense of a "private" elephant trekking tour, and ride only one elephant together? So, we had to pay an extra 4,000 Baht to them. When we told the hotel about this, they really had no apology or explanation for us. Not cool.
Also, when I had emailed the concierge before our trip, we asked to have a private dinner on my birthday at the rice barn. They told me that there was a function that evening, and that they would be "short staffed" so would not be able to accommodate our request for that night, but
we could do it the next night. We were disappointed that we couldn't do it on my birthday, but we just accepted it. I also couldn't reach the concierge online right before we left for the trip, because he was on vacation! He gave me an alternative email address, but even though I cc'd that other email, no one got back to me to confirm our plans. When we arrived at the Four Seasons, I told the concierge who was helping us there that I did not hear back from them before we left on our trip, but that I had an email that I received a few days after we were in Thailand, but I had to go online to see it. She just handed me an ipad, and expected me to just find the email. She didn't even get me online or anything. I had to ask her for the internet access code, network, etc. They should have been able to pull up the reservation without asking me to check my email!
So, that evening, we were having dinner at the restaurant, and we were talking to our waiter about our dinner at the rice barn, and that we were disappointed that we couldn't have it the night of my birthday. He told us that he did not know of any function that was happening, and that we could indeed have it the night of my birthday. So again, the initial concierge made a mistake. We did end up having the private dinner at the rice barn, which was absolutely the most amazing and romantic dinner I will ever have in my entire life. It was so beautiful, I couldn't stop crying. (happy tears) They had a man playing a beautiful string instrument, called a khim. Romantic candles and torches lined a rustic wooden bridge that lead us out to our private table under the rice barn surrounded by drapes, more candles, and flower petals ever where. The view over the large pond and rice patties was amazing, and the hotel restaurant across the pond reflected and glimmered in the water. The 5 course meal was incredible, and we had our own waiters, standing off to the side, ready to serve us at any time. It was pricey, but literally, the most memorable romantic dinner ever! This would be the place to propose for sure! This was the best part of the Four Seasons.
Now, back to the concierge. : ( We also asked for a private driver to take us to a temple, (Doi Suthep) and also show us around Chiang Mai. The driver showed up and the car wreaked of cigarette smoke. It was almost nauseating. We opened the doors and let it air out for about 10 minutes before we could even get in. It was not a nice car at all. After we went to the temple, the driver took us to lunch at a very funky restaurant that had terrible service and old sewing machines for tables. My husband is 6'3. He was very uncomfortable at these tiny tables. The food was not great, but the one thing that was very tasty was the mango and sticky rice, which I would highly recommend, but not the restaurant. We think our driver got a kick back for taking us there. It took a very long time to get our food. The driver also told us she would take us to change money, and she forgot, so after driving for about 10- 15 minutes, she realized it and turned around. We wasted time doing a big u turn route, and we had very little time. I'm a photographer, so we wanted to have a photographic experience with culture and interesting people, and this is what we told the concierge multiple times. She suggested a place where they make hand crafts, and also make silk. We thought that our concierge discussed this with our driver, but she did not. The driver spoke very little english, so it was difficult to explain what we wanted to do. We asked to go to the place where they made silk, and the driver took us to some store that looked like a scaled down version of Macy's. No charm or culture at all. When we pulled in the parking lot, we said, no, we want to go to the old silk place, where we can watch them make silk. She acted like she just "got" it, and took us to a cool place called Piankusol. We feel that she was probably going to get a kick back from the Macy's style silk place, because why would any tourist want to go there, when you can go to Piankusol. They were spinning silk right there, and the buildings were old, and interesting. They had a huge store as well. Good place to buy scarves! The driver also charged us more than we were told it would cost. We also found out the night before we were leaving Chiang Mai that there was a "long neck" village just about 15- 20 minutes away from our hotel. I was VERY disappointed that our concierge did not mention this once, even though I told her many times that I was looking for culture and interesting people.
Now, the room. Not good. We splurged and booked a pool villa. The first room they took us too smelled like smoke, and you had to walk around a walk way to get to the pool. We asked if they could take us to a different room, and they did, but this one smelled like a cheap apartment that was just painted. I just put up with the smell, because I didn't want to complain again. The pool villa is supposedly recently built, but it seemed like it was built in the 70's. Absolutely no flow, and very uncomfortable layout and design. The bathroom was poorly designed with a sink that took up most of the counter space, so very little room for your toiletries. The only place to use the hair dryer was in the closet area, and that was cramped and uncomfortable. There were no drawers, only wicker baskets. Really? Don't put your nice lingerie in a basket where it can get snagged! The furniture was worn and old looking. The pool area was not good. Stones surrounded the pool that are very uncomfortable to walk on, and you can't even rotate the chase lounges, because it's so difficult to move them in the stone area. Oh, and there were tiny ants in the desk area, and in the bathroom. They came in and sprayed, and then our room smelled like raid.
There were 2 wooded doors to be unlocked with a key to get into the room. Very inconvenient. The room had absolutely no flow, and no feng shui.
The service for the room was also terrible. They were nice, and gave us a bottle of champagne, because of all of the mistakes they made, but when we finished the champagne and little appetizer plate, it took them more than a day to take the empty bottle, wine bucket and plates out of our room. They also knocked on our door multiple days in a row to do turn down service at 5:00 PM! First, that is much too early for turn down service. Most people are resting, showering, or chillin' in there room during that time. You would think that after my slightly annoyed reaction when I answered the door on the first day, that they would not send turn down service at 5:00 on the next day as well, but they did. The Banyan Tree in Phuket was amazing service, and when we arrived, they asked us what time they should send turn down service, and when we wanted the maid to come. The Four Seasons should take lessons from The Banyan Tree! We paid top dollar, about $1200.00 a night for this room, and it was very disappointing! During the stay, out of curiosity, I did look at another room overlooking the rice patties, and those rooms did not have the pool, or the privacy, but at least they were nice rooms, with good feng shui.
The restaurants at the hotel are overpriced, of course, and the food is not anything to write home about. It takes about 25 minutes to get into town. They have shuttles that go every few hours, but if you don't catch a shuttle, I believe it's about a $20 - $30 taxi ride each way. The concierge suggested a restaurant in town, that was on the river, but not good. After dinner, we went next door to a place called the "Good View" which we wish they would have suggested instead. We had cheap drinks there, and watched a live band. It was great! The place was packed, and mostly with fashionable young locals. Unlike the place next door, with all tourists, and mediocre food!
We stayed at multiple hotels on our trip to Thailand, and we expected the Four Seasons to be the best, but it paled in comparison to almost all of the other hotels. Perhaps if you stay in a good room there, the experience may be different. Sorry Four Seasons. Perhaps you should pay more attention to these details, including your concierge service.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the rice fields looked nice. The pool villas are expensive, and very uncomfor...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank TravelingTracy33
TitiyaChooto, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2012

Dear TravellingTracy33,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I was very concerned to read about your stay with us in March and I would very much like to have the opportunity to discuss the details with you directly. If you are happy to do so, please contact me via email (using the address below) letting me know the best way for us to communicate moving forward. In the meantime, please accept my sincerest apologies for the various areas that did not meet with your expectations and I look forward to speaking with you in the very near future.

Kind Regards,
Ms. Titiya Chooto
Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai
email: titiya.chooto@fourseasons.com

Reviewed 16 May 2012

the resort is like a heaven. with its own rice field & lake, has a wonderful environment. the villas, rooms makes you feel like you are queen & king. very sophisticated and very comfortable. We loved this place, and will definitely go back again.

Room Tip: try to get an upper floor room; the veranda has a wider view on the resort & the mountains.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Charles F, Manager at Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2012

Dear Serdar S,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience! I was delighted to read that you loved the Resort and we all look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future!
Kind regards,

Reviewed 7 May 2012

Staying here was the greatest travel experience of my life so far. This place is absolutely beautiful and the people that work here could not possibly be more friendly and helpful. We stayed in a pool villa with its own outdoor infinity pool and jacuzzi. The pictures of this place don't do it justice. The grounds are amazingly well kept with exotic flowers and plants everywhere. I don't remember the name of the restaurant, but it was also fantastic. Sitting outside overlooking the rice fields with the fire cauldrons going is amazing. Put this place on your bucket list.

P.S. the coffee at the restaurant is sourced locally from the hills of Chiang Mai and is amazing.

Room Tip: Pool villa is the way to go. Huge and very very private.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Charles F, Manager at Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2012

Dear Ben S,
I am thrilled to read that you had the greatest travel experience of your life whilst staying with us! The combination of both the physical resort and the heart of team is very special and we hope it will not be long before you choose to come back again. In the meantime, do let me know if you would like information on how you can enjoy our local coffee at home each morning!
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.
Very best regards,

Reviewed 5 May 2012

This hotel is located a bit outside of Chiang Mai and is located in the countryside. The location is beautiful and very peaceful. I found the staff extremely warm and welcoming. We were greeted by name upon our arrival and kindly taken to our Pool Villa. The room was nicely designed and had a great outdoor shower as well as a very nice plunge pool and deck. I had once issue with some noise and the management jumped on it and fixed it immediately. The service was great and extremely friendly. Once gets the feeling that the staff wants to please you and they don't charge for every little thing which is quite nice. A total First Class 5 Star operation. We will be back.

Room Tip: We stayed in a pool Villa which has its own plunge pool.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear DoctorTreo,
Please accept my apologies for the noise disturbance you experienced during your stay with us. I was delighted that we were able to resolve the issue quickly to minimise the disruption to you and to read that you will be back in the future. When that time comes, please do not hesitate to contact me directly so that I may help you with your arrangements.
Very best regards,

Reviewed 29 April 2012

I'm practically speechless. We stayed at the FS for two nights in our two week trip to thailand and we are not soon to forget them. The hotel is placed in a huge terrain of rice fields, it has amazing rooms with huuuge restrooms. Walkin closets and luxurious ameneties. Each rooms (pavillon) has a private bali bed on the terrace where you can relax and admire the breathtaking views. The infinity pools are amazing, the food is delicious and the tennis courts perfect. The service is just impecable, well, you can't beat a four seasons service.
Overall, one of the best experiences of my life! Please come here is you have the chance.

• Stayed: April 2012

Dear Livingthedreamco,
To read that we have left you "practically speechless" and having enjoyed "one of the best experiences of your life" makes me so proud of the team at this resort and the work that they do everyday to look after our guests! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and I hope that you will have the chance to visit us again in the not too distant future.
Kind regards,

Le Meridien Chiang Mai
#19 of 392 in Chiang Mai
13.0 km away
Panviman Chiang Mai Spa Resort

Been to Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai? Share your experiences!