“Beautiful! Mountain Retreat”

Gaia Oasis Retreat-Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Tejakula B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

Lovely setting and accommodations. Good food and friendly helpful staff. They arranged for excellent drivers and amazing day trip. Unless you are with a group yourself, you might want to plan your trip for when there is not a large group there. Very peaceful for us and large group arrived on last day of our stay.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

It's a treasure. In a small village called Tejakula, a pursuit of happiness is being safely kept from mass tourism. 4 years ago a phrase in a book led me towards this resort and I’m still loving every inch of it. And though the magical setting is mind-blowing with every little detail minuscule precised, it’s something else what distinguish this place from all the others.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 July 2017

I have stayed here twice now for a yoga retreat and would recommend the mountain retreat to anyone looking for a secluded and peaceful holiday. The hotel is tucked away on a mountain away from anything "touristy".

The fresh vegetarian food is delicious, the rooms are luxurious, the pool is great and the staff are incredibly accommodating.

Room Tip: There are alot of stairs so if you don't want to walk far ask for one located near the pool or r...
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 July 2017 via mobile

Vegetarian and yoga types will love this laid back, rather tired hotel right on the shore of the Bali Sea. Quiet and relaxed but basic. Food healthy but quality indifferent. Sublime spa with unbelievably low prices.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Margaret B
Reviewed 12 March 2017

I had found the Abasan Mountain Retreat by chance. I had not realized that it was an approximately three hour drive from the Denpasar until one day prior to my arrival. I am so thankful that I had decided to go ahead with my accommodations despite travelling alone for the first time and so far away from familiar spots in Bali; because I have found a place that I would return to time and again in the future after having experienced its genuine values and culture, the people who work there and the guests who choose to stay there.

For the unsuspecting this resort is not decked-out with the typical comforts of a luxury travel accommodation. However, for specific purposes and intents, I was very impressed with the guest-room that I had booked as it came with a very spacious outdoor bathroom, and a lovely outdoor patio facing the soothing greens that was furnished with a day-bed and dining furniture. The refrigerator is located outside of the guest-room and suited me just fine as the room was equipped with a fan and no air-conditioning. The radiation from an indoor refrigerator would have made the room quite warm.

The four-poster bed came with effective mosquito netting and despite being a prime candidate for mosquitoes, I was pleasantly surprised that I remained unassaulted in my room by those insects throughout my stay.

There was also an ample amount of towels stored in the closet, a torchlight and a thoughtful bright yellow resort umbrella provided on the patio. Shampoo and liquid soap was readily available in the bathroom and I although I am particular about using generic toiletries, I found these very pleasant and eschewed my preferred cleansers for the ones provided by Abasan. I was informed later that anything that the resort's toiletries are non-toxic and specially sourced for their guests. Which resonates with their organic philosophy.

The path from my guest-room to the main office and dining area meandered through the beautiful foliage on a paved stone path. A lovely, lovely stroll in daylight, it was necessary to use a flashlight to walk this path in the evenings or at night because was not lined with lights.

There was no telephone in the guest-room and the front desk is open until 8pm local time. The hotel wifi is turned off at 8pm and otherwise would only available in the main dining area. There may or may not be mobile data reception on the mobile phone in the rooms. This would depend on a guest's mobile reception I guess. Be prepared to fully disconnect from distractions of social media and reconnect with yourself. There is a night-guard on duty and no other staff so if you have any medical requirements or special requests, you should inform Yen, the manager or the front desk prior to your stay. If you have expectations that you could order up a mid-night snack, do note that the resort's kitchen will also be closed. However, the wonderful buffet served up at dinner would certainly suffice until breakfast begins.

I would recommend that you either take Gaia-Oasis' transportation from the airport to the mountain retreat to avoid getting unnecessarily lost. My driver was unfamiliar with the route and we took another two hours to locate the retreat.

Yen, the manager of the retreat made me feel warm and welcome. She seemed to know all the names of the guests and was very helpful with recommending places of interest and arranged to personally take me to see a holyman, assisting with the language translation. I also found out that she was actively involved in environmental and species conservation. I would highly recommend connecting with Yen, if you have an interest in conservation, the environment and a love for nature in general. I found our conversations very informative and inspiring. As I was travelling solo, Yen very thoughtfully connected me over dinner with some of the guests at the resort who were keen to visit similar places of interest so that we might share the cost of transport.

I had most of my meals at the resort and chose the buffet as this was sufficient and extremely satisfying for me. I note that one reviewer had commented on the selection and quality of the buffet dishes, and this had concerned me as I do enjoy food. My first experience of the buffet was delightful and set the tone for the rest of my stay at Abasan. I observed all the dishes to be very thoughtfully put together. I appreciated the intimacy of the Abasan's buffet experience. It felt like I was attending a tasteful and well-hosted dinner party catered exclusively on a beautiful al fresco patio. The Abasan buffet experience displays every sign of dishes that were creatively and sensitively crafted with the well-being of the guests in mind while satiating the epicurean's tastebuds. Their ingredients, I was informed, are sustainably sourced. There was always at least one attentive staff in attendance at the buffet table. Each meal that I had in that tropical open-air dining room left me feeling good about myself and always looking forward to the next meal to see what the talented chefs would create next. The other well-travelled guests I dined with shared similar sentiments.

Yoga classes were held in the mornings in a shala overlooking a beautiful pond teeming with water lilies. This pond, I was informed, was thoughtfully created to enhance the experience of the practitioners.

The timing of my stay also coincided with Sabine's, the founder of Gaia-Oasis who kept our conversations in mind and sent me an email to enquire on my well-being even after I had left Abasan and returned to my country.

What made me wistful was that I did not have longer to spend at the resort and go out on a boat trip to see the dolphins pods. I had mentioned to Yen, the manager that I did not select this tour option as some operators conducted the tour in a manner that was harmful to the well-being of the dolphins, Yen informed me that the tour operators that Gaia-Oasis utilises were taught to operate in an environmentally friendly manner that did not cause trauma or harm to the dolphins.

Gaia-Oasis Abasan Mountain Retreat is an experience that I shall always remember. And the only place without the frills and thrills that has managed to impress me so fully that like so many of the guests I had met, I shall return to relive the experience and more in the future.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled solo