“Perfection!!”

Off The Hook
Price range: US$5 - US$25
Cuisines: Sushi
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating
Description: Locally owned and operated since 2004, Off the Hook has quickly become the locals' favorite spot for delicious food in a fun, upbeat, inviting atmosphere. Far from a traditional sushi restaurant, this California-style sushi bar puts a Western twist on an ancient Eastern food idea, offering so many unique flavors and ingredients you won't find anywhere else. There are over 40 rolls on the menu, but the Dragon Balls, Fire in the Sky and Gambler are a must try. The sushi is undeniably fresh as the chefs take the utmost care in breaking down and preparing the best quality fish available from whole into delectable bites for their customers. If sushi isn't your thing, the menu also includes a variety of cooked items, such as Tempura, Teriyaki, Bento Boxes, Udon Noodle Bowls, and cooked fish entrees. You'll even find Honey Walnut Prawns, Ahi Poke Salad, and Korean-Style Kalbi Ribs. The homemade desserts (tempura green tea ice-cream!)and extensive sake selection are as equally enticing! Located right in the middle of town on Highway 50, Off the Hook continues to strive to be a casual, yet high qaulity restaurant, cutting no corners when it comes to the customers' dining experience. Find out for yourself why Off the Hook has been voted "Best Sushi" by Tahoe locals for the last six years! Check out their Happy Hour Monday through Friday from 4:30 - 6 pm where many of their rolls, appetizers and drinks are discounted.
Reviewed 7 September 2016

Sushi doesn't get much better than this. I saw some negative reviews on Yelp before going but luckily disregarded them because my kids love sushi and this was around the corner from our hotel. The food was outstanding, so was the service. We ordered a bunch of appetizers as we were starving after our wait (well worth the wait and I generally don't wait). We had the Korean BBQ kalbi, gyoza, spinach oshitashi and sunomono salad, which the chef was kind of enough to amend to just octopus instead of assorted seafood. Spinach oshitashi is one of my favorite childhood dishes and I have not found an outstanding one since my 20s until this place. The spinach was perfectly blanched so still crunch, the dressing was excellent, not overly sweet, and the salad was chilled just right. My kids had never had it before and they loved it too. The sushi we had was excellent. My son stuck to his tried and true favorite nigiri -- which was excellent and the inari was delicious, no soggy sushi rice and a nice slice of avocado on each one. They did not have my husband and my favorites -- sea urchin, amaebi and red clam (this annoyed other reviewers but given that all the other food is so delicious and perfect, I can't fault them. Maybe they can't get fresh sea urchin and other fish so choose not to serve them) -- so we tried the Holy Smokes special roll. Normally I'm not a fan of these rolls that throw everything in except the kitchen sink. But this special sounded delicious and it was simply outstanding. Just the right amount of spice so we could still take the crab and tempura shrimp. Even though I was stuffed, I wanted to order another. But unusual for us, we ordered a dessert. Normally the fusion desserts in Japanese restaurants are not to our liking. The banana tempura was another winner. Excellent tempura batter and fry. My only suggestion would be to replace the whipped cream with ice cream as the hot and cold together with this kind of superbly fried banana would make it even better.
Lastly, I like Japanese plum wine, even the usual cheap one served at most restaurants (kind of like the Bud of plum wine). I lucked out and they were serving a special one made not with plum regular white wine but with plum and rice wine, my absolute favorite. Lush that I am, I carried a bottle around with my in my rollover when we visited Japan many years ago.

There are newer reviews for Off The Hook

Reviewed 4 September 2016

Good sushi roll selection; fish was good and service was very good. No reservations taken, so b ready to wait a lil (depending on what time u wanna dine). The only thing it think was odd was that the rice was not warm.,.... It was some what cold.
Th dining room was loud.

Reviewed 23 August 2016

We love the Happy Hour at Off the Hook. There is typically a line there at 4:30 pm when they open. I love their Kalbe Ribs and Kimchee. All of the Sushi is great, too.

Reviewed 22 August 2016 via mobile

Went there at 8:40 on a Sunday night (yes 20 min b4 closing). Service was awesome, tried some simple rolls spicy tuna/ hawaii lady. But the big stand outs to both my fiancé and i, hands down the poke salad and the tuna tataki appetizer! Talk about of the hook, will definitely come back every time we come to tahoe. And maybe a few times before we leave.

Would definitely recommend

Reviewed 11 August 2016

Love getting sushi here. It's always fresh and the menu has nice selections. Happy Hour is pretty good and the Hamachi is out of this world!