“Real Irish Country luxury and hospitality”
Glenboy Sitting room
Glenboy in winter
dawn at Glenboy
Sunset at Glenboy
Glenboy entrance
Mullaghmeen forest (5 minutes from Glenboy)
View from loughcrew hills, Meath (5 minutes from Glenboy)
Fore Abbey (10 minutes from Glenboy)
Lough Bann (Photo Steve Neale) (5 minutes from Glenboy)
Lough Sheelin (5 minutes from Glenboy)
Loughcrew Megalithic cairns - inside Cairn 'T' (5 minutes from Glenboy)
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
mrobbo56
Melbourne, Australia
“Real Irish Country luxury and hospitality”
Reviewed 12 June 2012 for a stay in April 2012
people found this review helpful

Glenboy County Accomodation really does offer the best of all; privacy; total country relaxation, and the nearby town of Oldcastle (walking distance), all in a glorious converted barn that has great character, but all creature comforts. If you want to experience 'real Ireland' this is the way to do it, from curious cattle at the fence eager to check you out, to Owen Trainer's Pub, where you have to walk through the small general store and through the single door to the bar behind to get a pint! But to head back to the accomodation at the end of a day exploring is to retreat to warmth and comfort that is second to none, whilst being homely. In fact, I thought the place was so comfortable I was not keen to leave it for day trips! I would have been happy to sit in front of the fire and soaked up the ambience. Hosts Karen & Pat are great and make you feel very welcome and looked after, whilst allowing the privacy one looks for on a holiday this. In a nutshell, I would recommend Clenboy to anyone who wants an authentic country Irish getaway.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The building itself is beautiful, rustic and comfortable.
Travelling group: With Spouse/Partner
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
Alaspillo...
Cheltenham, UK
“Great cottage - Disabled-friendly”
Reviewed 6 June 2012 for a stay in May 2012
person found this review helpful

Rather than just echo the good reviews Glenboy has already received, all of which I agree with, I am writing this review from the perspective of someone who has a physical disability, so that those of you with similar mobility issues can gauge whether it's appropriate for you.

I have a mild form of Muscular Dystrophy, which means I have trouble walking around on uneven ground, standing up from a seated position, and generally any activity that requires much strength. So with this in mind, the following are a concern to me: flooring, seating, bed and bathroom. I'll cover each of these in turn.

The interior flooring is excellent, and is a mix of wood panels and tiling downstairs, except for the bedroom which is carpeted. I don't recall and rugs or mats, besides something to wipe your feet on - so nothing to trip over. There is lots of space too, and so if you are in a wheelchair, you shouldn't have any problems navigating your way around the ground floor.

There was a real mix of seating in the main room. I mainly chose to sit on table chairs as most of the others were a little too low down for me personally, although there were ample cushions that you could use to boost the height with.

The downstairs bed was comfortable, with the mattress being medium-firm I'd say. It was a good height making it easy to roll out of in the morning.

The bathroom was superb and had a raised toilet with handles either side. It has a walk-in shower with non-slip tiles, again with a sturdy handrail to offer balance if needed. There is a decent sized bath there too, but I only used the shower.

I had no need to go upstairs, and so I can't comment on what it's like up there.

If you were going to mark down the property at all in terms of accessibility, you might do it for the driveway which is a mixture of patio paving slabs and loose chippings - which I don't find that easy to traverse, but you can park pretty close to the front door or patio, and so hopefully shouldn't be a problem.

I only had a couple of minor niggles with the cottage overall, and neither were from a disabled perspective.

The first is regarding the Wifi, which is practically non-existent. If you were lucky, you might get a weak signal in the lounge to the left of the chimney, if you had the window open and were stood on one leg... but that was it. In my group there were 4 people with laptops and I think virtually everyone had a smart phone, and we all had trouble. It's possible the router (which is housed next door) just needed rebooting, but I suspect it needs better placement.

My second niggle concerned the TV. It was an old CRT-style TV, and was quite small. I had taken a portable HDD with me, but of course neither the TV or DVD player has a USB port.

That said, none of us went to Glenboy to watch TV or to surf the web, and we were blessed with superb weather all week! I suspect had the weather be lousy, the lack of a decent TV or Wifi would have been a bigger issue. However, if those things aren't important to you, then consider my overall rating as Excellent, as opposed to Very Good.

Liked best: The bathroom
Liked least: The Wifi
Travelling group: With Friends
Your age range 35-49
Large groups
Management Response
14 Jun 2012
Thank you so much for your thoughtful review regarding access, it was a pleasure to host you. Glenboy routinely hosts wheelchair using and other mobility-impaired guests. A wee footnote on the wi-fi: we are glad to check any queries a guest has and so we call in on day 2 to see if there are any. Had wi-fi been mentioned, it would have taken less than a second to fix (the router ariel simply needed to be straightened up to be back to 3MB). Hope to see you at Glenboy again in the future, warm regards, Karen
Sarah B
Grantham, United Kingdom
“Fantastic, lovely home from home”
Reviewed 11 May 2012 for a stay in March 2012
people found this review helpful

Wonderfully welcoming and for the few days we stayed just perfect for flitting from local town to town. Very privately positioned with great views. the barn is spacious and very cosy with antiques along side modern convenience which works well.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: How clean and cosy it was.
Liked least: a lot of light switches
Travelling group: With Spouse/Partner
Large groups
Michele F
Sedona, Arizona
“Delightful Home in a Superior Location”
Reviewed 2 April 2012 for a stay in March 2012
people found this review helpful

I booked Glenboy for my group of 4 because of the home's excellent location in relationship to the Loughcrew passage tombs (just 10 minutes from the house), along with related archaeological sites that are within a 45 minute radius -- including Newgrange, Fourknocks, Hill of Tara, and others. However, this home would serve as a fantastic home-base in the Irish Midlands for any purpose.

The setting of Glenboy is wonderfully quiet and peaceful, and very private too. We enjoyed being situated in the country, surrounded by fields and the sounds of various farm animals nearby, but at the same time, just a short distance from conveniences in the towns of Oldcastle (5 minutes) and Kells (15 minutes), such as well-stocked grocery stores, petrol station, restaurants, pubs, and more. We were especially enamored with the nearby Sheridan's Cheese Market, where we found fabulous wines, cheeses and other specialty items that turned our in-home dining experiences into 5-star events.

The home is comfortably and tastefully furnished, and we appreciated being able to each have our own bedroom and bath. The bedrooms are roomy with beds of the highest quality, and there is plenty of hot water for everyone to enjoy a shower or bath in the AM. The kitchen is well-equipped and the gas range/oven and oversized refrigerator-freezer was especially appreciated.

Probaby the best part of Glenboy, however, is the accommodating management style of the owner, Karen. She graciously handled numerous questions from me in the months that preceded our arrival. On the day we arrived she greeted us personally and provided a nice tour of the home to help us comfortably settle in. She was quick to respond to any request or help us out if we had even the slightest difficulty in figuring out how to operate this or that.

We were all very pleased with our overall experience at Glenboy and I will definitely book this accommodation again the next time I visit the area.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Accommodating owner, location, overall quality of home/furnishings
Liked least: Found it a bit difficult to stabilize indoor temperature, but finally did
Travelling group: With Friends
Judy J
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
“"This place is cool," our teenagers said.”
Reviewed 11 August 2011 for a stay in July 2011
people found this review helpful

We selected Glenboy because we had a large family group and we needed four bedrooms. Having four bathrooms was a real bonus. The large kitchen-family room offered the opportunity for togetherness, but you could stay in your bedroom if you needed some alone time. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Check-in / front desk Service
Travelling group: Family with Teenagers
Your age range 65+
Older travelers Families with teenagers
Tourists Large groups
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing