“Dinner and a show.”

Daruma Sushi Restaurant
Ranked #1,367 of 3,766 Restaurants in Auckland
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 24 February 2016

The outside appearance of this place looks very inviting and interesting, it also doesn't give much away of what awaits inside. Once I walked inside and I saw the long food train the center of the room I certainly was intrigued.

I had a look at the menu and sat down around the train. They have seats all down every side of the food train. They have certain prices for each color place the sushi sits on. Therefore you are aware at all times of what the plate will cost you!
They have an extremely wide range of seafood, from fresh salmon, smoked and fried. Raw fish, and even eel with that is what you are into. I understand its a japanese Restaurant but I was slightly disappointing that they didn't have much option other than seafood!
You can also order of a menu if you choose not to eat from the train!
The atmosphere is very Japanese inspired and deffinitely a place to be if you love seafood!
The staff is also very helpful and friendly

There are newer reviews for Daruma Sushi Restaurant

Reviewed 1 February 2016

We have been going here regularly since they open a few years ago. Always found the sushi to be good, and service great. Spicey tuna and garlic prawn would be my two favourites. You can also order anything from the menu if you can't see it on the sushi conveyer.
It is a bit more expensive than Maccas or Burger King, but I believe thats a reflection of the ingredients and overheads invovled in making a sushi. The plates are all colour coded, with the price of each plate/sushi on signs throughout the resturaunt, so you can easily estimate your cost as you eat.
They also have kids meals for the litlle ones if they don't like what they see rotating past.

Reviewed 13 December 2015

It was a lot of fun watching the sushi coming by you a selecting what looks good. It seemed that the dishes were a bit pricey and maybe we took more than we usually eat. Our total was over $47 for the two of us, when we typically spend $25 to $30 at a pick-your-own sushi restaurant. This restaurant did have some interesting sushi that you don't typically see, so these may have added to our total.
I managed to take the last Ebi and was waiting for more to be put out, but it never was. Not sure how your get them to make more of a particular sushi.
We asked for Gluten-free soy sauce, but they didn't offer this.

Reviewed 9 December 2015

We are coming to this place quite often for both - fast snack and good family dinner. This place is unique for the area since it is only sushi train type restaurant in the Botany-East Tamaki area. The quality of sushi is great, and staff friendly and helpful. While it may be noticed some increase in the price and drop in the quality (which is insignificant actually) the place is still remaining our solid favorite. They serve not only sushi, but have good menu which clients can offer, as well as takeaway option. They still have a lot of things to improve (one of which are the toilet facilities). Overall in quality-price-convenience this place is one of the best in the proximity.

Reviewed 11 September 2015

Pro: The only Sushi train in the area, fresh, nice dish. Waitress is friendly. I love the soft shell crab.

Cons: Since this is the only one Sushi train, it is pricey for the size of the dish

The manager (Kei) is very ignorance despite the friendly staff. I got the hot pot soup which was very salty. Called him to asked if I could get some more water for the soup, but he just ignored me, still still in the corner and wave to the waitress girl to give me some water while she is very busy serving other people. He walked pass me several times but no bother to check if I still wanted some water. I thought the service was quite poor.