“Perfect”
other travellers have booked this property
Cheese Press Cottage The original gritstone cheese press
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
Cheese Press Cottage
The original gritstone cheese press
Sitting Room
Wood-burning stove
Kitchen area
Fully equipped kitchen with granite worktops
Dining area
Pine table in the Sitting Room
Set for dinner
Bedroom
Antique double bed
Bathroom with basin, loo, bath & shower
Enjoy the spectacular views over the fields
Patio
Views overlooking Biggin Dale from the cottage
Another view from Cheese Press Cottage
Enjoy watching the cows grazing in the fields from the cottage
Park your car next to the cottage
All-weather tennis court
Monastic Barn which dates back from the 13th Century is where the property began
Cheese Press Cottage
Cheese Press Cottage is a converted barn in the grounds of our home
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Emily C
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect”
Reviewed 4 April 2017 for a stay in March 2017

Had a lovely stay at Cheese Press Cottage. It's in the perfect location for a tranquil weekend away. We came here on our Mini-moon after getting married the day before. The cottage was well kept and warm and cosy on arrival. The views surrounding the cottage are superb. Easy to walk to local pubs and Biggin Hall for a nicer dinner. Hartington is nearby and can be easily driven/walked to. Also, the bed is SOOO comfy.

5 Apr 2017
So thrilled you chose Cheese Press Cottage after your wedding and I'm so glad you had a lovely few days. Thanks for the great review and I wish all the luck and happiness in your years together. Jane
Anjali631
Bristol, United Kingdom
“beautiful stay”
Reviewed 21 March 2017 for a stay in March 2017

We visited cheese press cottage on a weekend break. It was an Oasis of luxury and the hosts were very welcoming. We have very busy jobs and this really was an amazing place to escape to. Everything in the cottage was of an extremely high standard and the location was excellent for rural walks. I don't think I would want to stay anywhere else in the Peaks!!!

3 Apr 2017
What a lovely review and thank you very much for taking the time to write it. So pleased you enjoyed your time in Derbyshire!
Expeditio...
“Perfect Peak District Retreat !”
Reviewed 10 November 2016 for a stay in November 2016

What more can I add to those that have already written great reviews about this gorgeous little cottage in the Peak District. Don't hesitate. Its as good as it looks if not better.

We were blessed with some fine weather for the time of year, not that would have mattered if it wasn't. The cottage would have more than compensated if we had been stuck indoors looking out over the rolling hills. The stunning views were only made better by the Autumn colours.

We spent the days out walking, visiting local villages nearby. Chatsworth house, about 20 minutes away, is also well worth a visit. After a long day. Cheese Press was the perfect romantic little hide-away to come back to. Log burner on ! snuggle up on the sofa and enjoy a glass of wine with your better half.

As I like to cook, we mainly prepared meals at the cottage and its very well equipped to do that with all the pots, pans and dishes you would need for a few days away.

We did eat out at the local pub, the Waterloo Inn, one evening. The food was good wholesome tasty home cooked pub grub and the portions were very generous too. Can certainly recommend the Lamb Chop.

All in all we had a fabulous four days here and both me and my partner were sad to leave. We will certainly return in the future.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness
Liked best: Log Burner, overall cosyness & Fab views,
Liked least: Nothing
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
AHeathlig...
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Great get away in the Peaks”
Reviewed 2 November 2016 for a stay in October 2016

As with every other review this cottage is brilliant for an escape. My wife and I used this as a mini break after our wedding. We wanted a place that was in the Peaks, tranquil, away from everything and self catered. Cheese press cottage ticked all the boxes and then some.
The cottage is really nice presented with clear instructions on how to use the equipment and what to see and do in the area. My wife commented that it was one of the cleanest properties we have ever stayed at. Especially the bathroom that looked like it was recently installed it was that clean.
The day we arrived Jane popped round to ensure we were happy and made sure we were looked after with really tasty chocolate brownies. After that we were left to our own devices however we were told that if we wanted more wood for the fire etc we could get in touch.
The kitchen is well stocked with all the items you might need. The one thing I would suggest taking is a good pairing knife for vegetable prep. Everything else was perfect for what we needed.
We found the location great for Bakewell, Chattsworth, the Monsal Trail and Macclesfield. Even though we were there for a short time we managed to pack a lot in to our trip. Its definitely somewhere that we would go back to for a break away.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
4 Nov 2016
Thanks so much for the lovely review and so pleased you enjoyed you staying in Cheese Press Cottage. I will definitely get some new knives as I'm a keen cook so always want sharp knives! I have just installed a blue tooth speaker so I keep trying to add new bits and pieces. Please do come back and see us again when you need to escape to the hills!
FloEddy
Loughborough, United Kingdom
“What can I say apart from 5 stars on every level.”
Reviewed 12 September 2016 for a stay in September 2016

This cottage is like a little sanctuary in a hectic world. From the moment we arrived, explored the cheese press cottage and took in the beautiful views we started to relax.

The cottage is fully equipped down to washing up liquid,tea and coffee sugar and even oil to cook with! Seems like a small thing but arriving at a cottage and finding the basics are already there just adds to the ease and shows the welcome the owners of this fabulous place want to give to their guests. Home made brownies in a tin on the table just added to the warm welcome. Sounds simple maybe but we stay in many cottages all over the country and it is amazing how many don't provide these little touches that somehow make all the difference.

Location is wonderful with a local pub ten minutes walk away. Hartington is a couple miles away and also has plenty of food and drink options as well as the village stores that has beatiful local food and beer to buy if you fancy eating in and enjoying the atmosphere of the cottage and the view. We did just that, cooked a simple meal, opened a bottle of red, lit the fire and admired the view.

The cows in the field, the sheep on the hills, the Indian runner ducks and chickens in the garden and a family of buzzards flying overhead. Just wonderful.

Comfortable, clean, fully equipped and quite simply fabulous.

If you are looking for an escape in the wonderful Peak District. Look no further. I'd have no hesitation returning or recommending to friends galore.

We tend not to return to the same place twice, with so many places to see however this one has made me rethink. We would love to return.

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
12 Sep 2016
Am so pleased you had a nice couple of nights staying at the cottage and thank you for writing such a lovely review. The buzzards have only appeared this year so I do hope they stay! Hartington seems to be getting better and better and I gather now wood-fired pizzas on a Friday night at The Village Stores so I must try that out soon!
I'm sorry I didn't get to meet you but I hope my son and husband helped you.
Jane
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing