“This place use to be decent but it's gone DOWN hill.”

Koto Izakaya Sushi & Robata
Ranked #222 of 1,007 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Japanese
Neighbourhood: City Centre
Neighbourhood: City Centre
Reviewed 11 August 2016 via mobile

Where do I start? Let's start from the outside in. When we first pulled up to building, we couldn't help but notice the FOUL stench of rotting food from the garbage bins right by the entrance, not to mention the large amount of rat traps laid around the perimeter of the building. I've been here a few times before, so today's visit was utterly unappealing. We walked in 10 mins before the late night happy hour and we were asking to wait till 9pm to be seated. We were asked to wait at the sushi bar till a smaller table opened up, as only larger tables were available. Other people were coming in after us, and we noticed that two other tables of two were seated. We were then given menus at the bar and we reminded the hostess that she had asked us to sit at the sushi bar to wait for the table. She then said we could wait for the next available table. We got to the restaurant on purpose so that we didn't have to wait, and now we were expected to wait after other ppl were seated before us out of turn.
Let me also add, that as we were waiting at the sushi bar, I could not help but look around me. When was the last time they dusted, cleaned and sanitized this place?! I'm all for cool decor, but if I can see 2cm of dust built up on the decor..... Yuck! I looked down and saw dirty rags underneath where I was sitting, the floor was dirty and sticky, and as I looked in the little sushi refrigerator... I realized that it wasn't actually on.... So raw fish was in the little refrigerator, thawing out and probably rotting. This is such a same because the food in past has been decent. This really is a hole in the wall. A s**t hole in the wall. There are plenty of other sushi places in the area that are much cleaner, better service and better quality food.

Reviewed 5 June 2016

Our party of 3 waited in line for an hour simply because the hostess/waitress failed to ask us if it's okay for us to squeeze in a booth that's fit for only 2 persons. She just let those parties of 2 behind us in first without even acknowledging our presence or asking us about the seats. Some SERVICE.

Fortunately, the food was good. Probably even better than Matsuyama's.

Reviewed 6 May 2016 via mobile

Great service, food is by far the best quality for an all can watch menu nothing over $9.99 on the all you can eat menu.. And it does get extremely busy so go right @ 9pm!

1  Thank thecrazydoglady
Reviewed 30 April 2016 via mobile

Very surprising find in Richmond! If you're flying into YVR late in the day, head straight to this cozy izakaya place. They are open till 12:30am on weekends. Wide selection of authentic Japanese dishes from artichoke bacon to sukiyaki to grilled squid and all kinds of sashimi at very reasonable prices. On a recent Friday night visit the wait was 30mins. There are a few tables and 2 tatami settings hidden in the back.

I particularly enjoyed my sukiyaki and shrimp tempura. Agedashi tofu was so-so but at $4.95 was quite a deal!?

Service is awful; we didn't feel like the servers (especially an older female Asian server) were happy to help or eager to welcome guests. We felt rushed but oh well...

Reviewed 2 February 2016

Do not go to this restaurant if you want to have a good time, this is by far the worst service i have received in my entire life, . Strongly recommend to avoid this place at all cost. the old waitress just give you that attitude she does not want you there at all, you can feel that when you first go inside the restaurant, no one will seat you, you will stand at the door for at least 5 minutes for anyone to even look at you, and when you order food, only the old women will take orders, and again, she gives you a bad attitude for no reason. I felt terrified to even make orders. I felt like the people works there just simply do not want you to go to their restaurants. it feels like you are begging for food and begging for money when in fact you are paying.

I also strongly think that other good reviews of this restaurants are paid to write, all of my friends who visited this place absolutely hated it. i cannot believe anyone would like this restaurants enough to write good review if not paid