“Simple Lunch”

Ranked #353 of 948 Restaurants in Richmond
Price range: US$10 - US$60
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 2 April 2017 via mobile

After arriving back in Vancouver after a week of business in LA I stopped in for a sushi lunch. It has been easily 2 years since I was here last.

Previously there were Japanese owners / management, very friendly servers, and consistently good sushi. I really liked their dynamite rolls, which had a nice snap to them. Sounds weird but they were a tight, small roll, with asparagus, a bit of japanese mayonnaise, and prawn tempura. Not a large loose roll, but bit size.

Today I found the management has changed, food has changed, and it is now a sushi place like every other around. Server was pleasant, but food was so so, and not even 50% of what it was. Dynamite roll was large and loose.

I won't be back, as it is too far from my house, and as mentioned not remotely the same quality.

Reviewed 28 October 2016

After over a year since our last visit, we decided to stop by for a quick lunch. We noticed that ownership has changed and now no longer owned by a Japanese family. The quality has definitely declined. Two items that we wanted, Wakame Seaweed and Udon were not on the menu. It's as though they didn't want to serve it at lunch hour. We had to ask for them but the server did not even advise us of the price. In addition, we ordered the Sakana Box. The miso soup that was inlcuded with the Sakana Box was so so flavour. The chicken Udon was sparse of chicken and other
usual condiments. It was piping hot though. All in all, it was disappointing. The authentic flavour was definitely absent. We're willing to give it another try some time later. Total $21.42

Reviewed 22 June 2016

Top one choice in Stevenston plaza for dining. No matter what I ordered, always good, fresh, and fair price. The owner is always so polite and needs to nod to me no matter how busy he is.

Reviewed 13 December 2015

This must be the one of the smallest restaurants in Richmond, so get there early for lunch or be prepared to wait. BUT the wait is worth it. Marvelous sushi.

Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

This restaurant is very small. I got there for lunch and most the seats/tables were reserved. I had the Maruwa chirashi for $16. The fish and squid, roe... are ok, not bad but not impressive or anything. However the rice is very good and has the proper taste of Japanese sushi rice that you only get in authentic Jap restaurants in Vancouver.
Service was ok. I think the cook is the husband and the host/waitress is the wife. They are not cheery/friendly. The lady seems eager to please and attentive, just not as professional as the usual staff in other Japanese/Korean restaurants. I am fine with that.
Overall it's ok for a lunch. I am not sure about the dinner menu but if it is the same as the lunch menu, then there aren't many exciting selections, just basic sushi, sashimi and rolls.

1  Thank Emilie N