“Greasy, chive heavy dim sum.”
Review of Royal Teahouse

Royal Teahouse
Ranked #20 of 20 Coffee & Tea in Markham
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 11 July 2017

While there are much better Cantonese dim sum places in Richmond Hill and Markham, Royal Teahouse is the only one in this immediate area. As such, it is somewhat of a Teflon-restaurant that has survived serving mediocre greasy Chinese-chive laden food for years.

The wait time for this place can be long and there does not seem to be a set order in which those waiting are seated. However, again, unless one wishes to sit in traffic across 16 or highway 7 into Richmond Hill or further into Markham, or fight for parking space at First Markham Place, then the Royal Teahouse is pretty much it for this immediate area.

This place isn't completely awful, but it is not worth the hassle of driving here if you are closer to other decent places.

Expect grumpy service during dimsum.

Reviewed 28 August 2016 via mobile

I basically hate this place because if you only order from the dim sum menu after 4pm, they force you to pay $1.20 per person for tea!! Even if you dont drink it!! If you try to ask for just water, they will still charge $1.20 a person. They never tell you this until you get the bill and see the charge!! RIDICULOUS!!!! DONT EAT HERE!!!

1  Thank TripMember09032016
Reviewed 8 August 2016

The food was mediocre but the service was remarkably awful. I'm used to surly Chinatown services but this place takes the cake! All the staff looked miserable and was downright rude. I was told that the place changed management and it was much better with the old manager. Definitely not coming here again.

Reviewed 17 April 2016

Our friends invited us for Dim Sum today. it was 10 am and the restaurant was not too busy; it was almost half full. Having a "Royal" in their name can entitle them to charge 2 or 3x for their food. However, you should complement with a royalty services. I can accept slow and poor services (waited 50 mins for my food); I can accept the small serving, but I can not accept tasteless (I do not mean no salt) and under-cook foods. And worse of all, it is their very bad attitude. When I waited 50 mins. and still have not received the food we ordered, we decided to leave for our appointment and asked for the bill. The waitress then told us that we must pay for all the food we ordered, even those ones that have not been served. Now, this is what I call Royal Treatment!

Reviewed 1 January 2016

-I was surprised to find seats for lunch on a weekend when dim sum restaurants are usually packed. I soon found out why

-all the food, even simply shrimp dumplings, are bland and tasteless

-the beef and egg congee is tasteless, no beef or egg taste (probably due to very few of them in the congee). it taste like plain congee

-the fried rice cake looked like it's leftover from yesterday

-the pork dumplings (siu mai) has no pork taste, and it falls apart at first bite

-the service is terrible; after we order, we waited for a good 10-15 minutes before the first dish came, then another 5-10 minutes for the 2ned one. mind you, we have only order simple disk like dumplings, nothing fancy, which you think the restaurant should have plenty ready for the lunch hour

-our table was full of empty dishes after a while. when the server came with the next dish, she did not bother to clean our table even when she has an empty tray

-we asked them to refill our tea, and they ended up giving our tea to another table

-the 'service panel' (see photo) where you press for service like 'order' 'bill' 'refill' is useless. we pressed for 'service' and no one came. we have to resort to the old ways and waved to get someone's attention

-their full business name is 'royal teahouse dimsum specalist'. they are not specialist at all

-I would not come back again

1  Thank Candy K