“First time in a sushi restaurant!”
Review of Ye's Buffet

Ye's Buffet
Ranked #116 of 390 Restaurants in Waterloo
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 22 August 2015 via mobile

I had had sushi from grocery stores many times but never from a restaurant and so my mom and I went here Thursday night and it was spectacular !!!

My mom loves (and I agree) the Shaomai just outstanding ! The price was more than fair for the quality of the product and the fact that it's all you can eat is though as always overwhelming , quite nice to be able to try a variety of foods and not spend an incredibly large amount of money.

I even did ok with the chopsticks ! Inside joke but it matters!

Thank you to Ye's buffet for making my first (but definitely not my last) sushi restaurant experience a significant win!

Reviewed 28 July 2015 via mobile

Went here with my husband for lunch on a Friday afternoon. Having been to Ye's before, we were familiar with their food, but hadn't tried the buffet at this location. It was nice to have the ability to get our salads, fruit, desserts, some of the deep fried food, and soup right away. Downside with the new iPad ordering system is that the pictures are misleading! Some of the items we ordered were not what we expected and were pretty nasty and inedible. Way way way too much sauce on the veggies and they were mushy on top of that. Be careful what you order!

Reviewed 20 July 2015

We went for dinner and paid 22.99 per person and I must say if we didn't have a $8 coupon we would regret a lot. This place is good for those who like to eat a lot and is not too picky, but quality? Thin pieces of tuna and salmon and too much rice, rice is not even sushi grade (they probably used basmati rice?) and is not sticking well so half of your sushi rice ends up in soy sauce. Unagi (eel) was very thin, dry and too salty. Also, you are paying $2 extra for green tea. I am totally skipping this place.

Reviewed 9 July 2015 via mobile

Went with a small group for lunch. We were a little pressed for time and we didn't want to have to order a second time, so we ordered more than we should have thinking it would all come out at once. Instead the food comes out as its prepared and you can always order more as you go. Had we known that, we'd not have ordered so much. Our fault.

Nice decor and helpful staff. The buffet section itself was pretty bare for noontime but I'm told that's usually just for soups, salads and desserts. Only the salad was missing.

The food itself was tasty. A few dishes seemed pre-made (dimsum) but all of the sushi itself seemed freshly made.

I'd go again and recommend.

Reviewed 24 June 2015

I was hesitant because I wasn't a huge fan of the buffet idea. I used to eat there when they provided table service and started driving down to Ye's at the other end of town because I had read that the buffet idea was limited.

But recently I was in the 'hood and thought I would check it out again and was happy to see that table service has been restored, and that the only buffet options are for soups, salads and desserts, as well as kids' food (like pizza etc), which actually makes sense.

All cooked entrees, sushi dishes and sashimi are ordered via an ipad-like device.

I am not sure why people are so critical of this place and not sure where else they eat, but if you like raw fish and real sushi this is a great place. We don't bother with cooked dishes there at all (except for some tempura sometimes) and focus entirely on salmon and tuna sashimi and the red and gold dragon rolls (along with miso soup and seaweed salad).

To date I have yet to be disappointed. If you are looking for fauz sushi or fancy arrangements maybe this isn't the place for you. If you want Thai, go to a thai restaurant...at Ye's focus on the sushi, which is very high quality for the price.

My only criticisms are this: they seem understaffed compared to when they were all full service. I had a hard time getting a tea refill and at one point, our empty plates were piling up. I am also disappointed that they just give you a cup with a teabag, for which they charge, and don't just leave a pot of tea at the table, like they used to.

The new decor is standard pseudo-modern fancy typical of most sushi places--all sleek dark wood and red accents, and I sort of miss the old more practical, bright decor. But on the whole it is definitely a good deal and the quality stands up to other sushi places in the KW area.

The price is a little higher on weekend nights than it is during the week. I don't think they offer the Tuesday discount any more, but I did notice that lunch is significantly cheaper than dinner.