“More than Sushi”
Review of Mr Sushi

Mr Sushi
Ranked #217 of 390 Restaurants in Waterloo
Reviewed 15 January 2017 via mobile

On a chilly Saturday night this place was packed. Very busy but we still got our food in good time. I ordered the bulgogi which came with rice and a side of miso soup. Everything was good. The prices are very reasonable and the portions are a good size. Their menu is large and diverse, I'll definitely be back to try some other dishes.

In summary:
Good Japanese and Korean food that is reasonably priced.

Reviewed 19 December 2016 via mobile

Day trip to Waterloo on business. Was originally going to have lunch at Kenzo Ramen which is next door, however Kenzo was closed. Figured the shop next door would be ok as the place was packed.

Turned out service was slow as there was only one server. Instead of providing hot tea we were given a jar of Cold water. When we asked for hot water we were given a jug and it was disgusting (picture attached).

Reviewed 29 September 2016 via mobile

Me and a couple of friends came here on a weeknight and were seated. That's pretty much the only good thing that happened. The waiter didn't give all of us menus for a while, and after coming back with water, he asked if we were ready to order. We just got menus so we said no.

He came back and then warned us that it was going to be a 20-30 minute wait due to back log in the kitchen. We had already wasted 10 minutes by now so we decided to stick with it. However, when we told him we were slightly in a hurry, he said the specials would come out faster - they were the noodles with a roll. We had to look into the menu a bit more now to decide if wanted the special instead - the waiter left again. It's important to note now that there appeared to be only one waiter...

When he came back, we finally got to order after 15-20 minutes after waving him down away from the other tables. One friend ordered a roll, and then another the special. He warned us now it was going to be 25-35 minute wait and we were already sunk in our time so we sighed and continued to order. One friend ordered the chicken set and the waiter chose THEN to say they had no chicken or beef. NO CHICKEN OR BEEF. We basically stood up and left pretty much then, unwilling to wait more for food that wasn't going to come anytime soon and for a very limited selection that was going to be even slower and now pretty much excluded a large portion of the menu. It was an overall poor experience worthy of writing up even though we didn't eat anything. They definitely need better service and more staff in general - for serving and in the kitchen!

Reviewed 22 May 2016 via mobile

I hadn't been to Mr. Sushi in Waterloo since before the fire, and I was looking forward to taking my daughter there. I had great memories of the warm tea, hot miso and fresh delicious sushi paired with friendly service. We walked in and wow what a reno! This doesn't look like the Mr. Sushi I used to visit at all. I have to say the decor is lovely. They definitely high-ended the place. Beautiful chandeliers, great stone work on the walls, really upscale. The menu was also revised. The variety they offer now will cater to not only those looking for sushi but Vietnamese as well.
Well service was prompt and courteous, but no matter where I am, I HATE seeing my server on their phones.
We didn't get warm tea or complimentary miso soup :( and although the meals we did get were delicious the portions were smaller then I recall and the price was higher. Must need to pay for the renovations?
Overall the visit was OK. Not the "oh we gotta hit Mr. Sushi if we're in Waterloo", that I remember it to be.

Reviewed 18 October 2015

The Korean food was excellent Lived in South Korea for three years, so I know what I like. Very busy place so food was fresh. The Mackeral was very good, and I never order fish out, but I tasted the other person's food. My Galbi was excellent.