“Decent Caribbean food outside of the city”
Review of Tweedy's

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Tweedy's
Ranked #164 of 300 Restaurants in Newmarket
Reviewed 15 March 2017

Generally speaking this place is quite good for Newmarket, but just average if you are used to Jamaican/Caribbean food. I find that the food can be hit or miss and can be a little inconsistent. Prices are typical for Jamaican food. Jerk Chicken has been amazing one day and then a little too dry the next. The curry goat was quite nice. Cocktail patties have been ordered from their quite a few times for social events. Quite a few times I have been there and they have been closed so not the most ideal times but are usually open during lunch/dinner times.

Better than Sunrise down the road that is for sure, but not as good as Enmores or Taste of the Islands in my opinion.

Service is always very good though.

Reviewed 2 March 2017

We ordered take-out from this restaurant recently and overall the food was average at best. The Jerk Chicken (all dark meat) was dry and bland! Anytime you take chicken off the bone and chop it up, you run the risk of it drying out, and that seemed to be the case here. The jek chicken was served over rice and peas with very little sauce, which may account for the lack of flavour. The rice itself also lacked any zip and was also overcooked. My suggestion would be to ask for extra sauce on the side and make sure to have some hot sauce handy because there is little to no heat in this meal. Thank goodness we ordered some Jamaican Patties (beef) with our order because these were terrific! We got both mild and spicy and there was a noticeable difference between the two. Even with take-out they were hot and crispy when we got them home. My advice is to stick with the patties at Tweedy's and skip the jerk chicken. For excellent jerk chicken I recommend A Taste of the Islands Jamaican Cuisine on Bayview Ave. in Newmarket. They serve the chicken on the bone so it's tender, flavourful and not dried out.

1  Thank schaefdog