“Away from crowded slopes”
Review of K3 Catskiing

K3 Catskiing
Reviewed 1 February 2016 via mobile

My first time cat skiing. Conditions were variable. We had some soft snow and sone dust on crust as well.
The K3 came recommend to me by a local skiers and I was lucky to get on. Positive: they have their terrain away from the resort in another mountain range, the guides were running the show with safety in mind, they picked me up at the hotel. Negative: you never know who is going to be in your party, they were 25 min late picking me up at the hotel.
Overall in the exchange of US$ to C$ it's a bargain. You get to ski some nice terrain and lay first tracks. Weather and snow coverage will affect where you go and what you do.
Bring food that you want to eat, you can place it in the cooler and enjoy on the cat ride, otherwise you will eat sandwiches and wraps they provide , like it or not.

2  Thank mtschindler
in 15 reviews
in 3 reviews
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 28 January 2016

The people in K3 are great and the day was a lot of fun, however we did not achieve the stated number of expected runs of 8 to 12 due to a powder newbie who was considerably slower. K3 does not stratify their groups according to skier ability so the odds are high that on any particular day there will be at least one slow skier in a group of 12 randomly grouped skiers.

The terrain is predominantly blue or single black so for anyone looking for steep and deep I'd look elsewhere to spend your money.

For us the day was an interesting and fun experience with lots of powder, fresh tracks, plenty of food, and good conversations, however I would not repeat the experience rather for my next cat skiing outing I'll look for an outfit that offers skiers grouped according to ability. That will likely involve a lodge-based cat skiing outfit.

But for an introductory one day cat ski experience I'd highly recommend these guys and gals.

2  Thank Dunderdiver
Reviewed 5 July 2015

Cat skiing was something neither my friend or I had ever done before. I can't say I wasn't a bit anxious. In am not a bad skier but I had no idea how far out of my comfort zone this would be.
We were picked up from our motel and taken up a rugged track to where the Cats were waiting for us.
Having climbed through stunning scenery to the start point we were all supplied with avalanche transceivers [they insist you use theirs] and given training in their use.
Everyone both staff and punters were very friendly.
After a gentle[ish] test run we headed off.
There had been a dump of snow that morning so there was a concentration on safety which gave me a sense of confidence in the team.
We skied some fantastic lines ... steep, trees, wide snow fields.
Most on the edge of my capabilities but so much fun!
The cat picked us up after every run and kept us topped up with sandwiches/drinks etc.
I am a Brit and only have a limited experience of Canadians ... everyone on that trip was friendly and encouraging.
I tended to stay at the back as I was worried about holding anyone up. On the last run down joyous untracked snow everyone insisted I go to the front to have first tracks. A real day to remember.
Thanks guys!

2  Thank Jez_and_Gill
Reviewed 8 June 2015

a new experience.
a Norwegian who is used to being alone in the mountains and run their own trails , it was unusual to ski with mountain guide . nice people and good mood. fun with catski , but not very challenging . was mild this week and bright sun, so we got unfortunately not powder , but plenty of untouched mountain anyway. would love to do it again, but I will investigate about the level of skiing.

See more reviews
Reviewed 27 March 2015

This is going to be a tough review to write and be fair to these guys. Bear in mind the skiing conditions in BC at this time as about as poor as you can imagine. No snow, warm, rain etc. We had booked way in advance to travel from UK in early March expecting guaranteed cold and hopefully some fresh snow. How wrong we were.

So the K3 guys put a brave face on it. They told us to expect little (we did) and it could only get better. It was awful. Very little vertical drop possible and the snow varying from soft (about 200 ft) into breakable crust/avalanche debris like boulders into heavy porridge. Leg breaking stuff. I cannot remember when I have enjoyed skiing less.

On balance I think they should have cancelled the days. They cancelled only one of our 3 although no refund has been offered. I guess they have a business to run and the overheads are committed...... However the conclusion is I would not travel from Europe to cat ski again. I would travel to BC expecting to trail ski as the default and then splash out on hell skiing if the conditions were good since it offers more vertical drop, the ability to get much higher and more available mountain to ski on.

I would rate the experience as 'terrible', the staff as 'good' and the whole idea of cat skiing in BC as average (accepting if you hit a fresh powder day it could be 'excellent').

4  Thank Zouppy