“Great cat skiing but mixed groups and snow conditions”
Review of K3 Catskiing

K3 Catskiing
Reviewed 26 June 2016

Last March I enjoyed two days with K3 and it was a great experience, although some things didn't work out as expected.
On the first day the temperature was bit too high and snow a bit too heavy but it happens, especially during el nino years. It was colder the next night and day and the now was way better, much lighter than the previous day.
On the first day the group was quite mixed, one third good skiers, one third average, and one third first time off-piste and in deep snow => 6 runs and lots of waiting. I was rather annoyed the first 15 minutes, until I remebered that one I was skiing deep powder back in 1986, my friends waited for me as well quite a lot. The second day was better, no beginners and 9 runs.
K3 operates a great terrain, steep enough, great guides, and everything worked well. If they would be nice if they would allocate skiers to groups based on abilities, but that would be just another headache for a day-catski operator, every day.
Thus it's always a bit of a gamble re weather and the cat group, but worked out quite ok for the first day and fantastic for the second day.

Reviewed 29 March 2016 via mobile

We've just finished a day out with k3 and had an awesome experience. The weather was in our favour in that it had just snowed overnight but the experience was top notch due to the professional service on offer. Matt and Todd who hosted us couldn't have been friendlier and more knowledgeable about the terrain and we got to ski some really great steep lines through alpine and mostly trees. The food and refreshments were constant and they delivered everything we hoped for. I would highly recommend a day out with these guys for any advanced skiers looking for something a bit different.

2  Thank Ben S
Reviewed 8 March 2016

1st time cat skiing on Feb 25, 2016. The terrain and un-tracked snow was excellent and have no complaints. The head guide knew the terrain without a doubt.

The customer service though is certainly lacking. Upon being picked up at the hotel, the 2 staff members did not introduce themselves and during the 45 minute ride to the snow cats, they only made conversation between themselves. At least, I would have thought they could have provided some information on where we were going, travel time and other information such as snow conditions and weather. Not a word....
Upon arrival to the snow cats, I was directed to one of the machines, but again, no information was given other than I had to do a avalanche training session prior to departure.
I had to ask the names of the 3 staff members guiding....would have thought they could have introduced themselves.
At the end of the day, on the drive back to Revelstoke, the staff only conversed between themselves and not the passengers. No thank you for coming out or picking K3.
The company has no control over weather or snow conditions. They can though, reinforce customer service with their staff. It goes a long way for getting return customers.

2  Thank skierandboarder
Reviewed 1 February 2016 via mobile

My first time cat skiing. Conditions were variable. We had some soft snow and sone dust on crust as well.
The K3 came recommend to me by a local skiers and I was lucky to get on. Positive: they have their terrain away from the resort in another mountain range, the guides were running the show with safety in mind, they picked me up at the hotel. Negative: you never know who is going to be in your party, they were 25 min late picking me up at the hotel.
Overall in the exchange of US$ to C$ it's a bargain. You get to ski some nice terrain and lay first tracks. Weather and snow coverage will affect where you go and what you do.
Bring food that you want to eat, you can place it in the cooler and enjoy on the cat ride, otherwise you will eat sandwiches and wraps they provide , like it or not.

2  Thank mtschindler
Reviewed 28 January 2016

The people in K3 are great and the day was a lot of fun, however we did not achieve the stated number of expected runs of 8 to 12 due to a powder newbie who was considerably slower. K3 does not stratify their groups according to skier ability so the odds are high that on any particular day there will be at least one slow skier in a group of 12 randomly grouped skiers.

The terrain is predominantly blue or single black so for anyone looking for steep and deep I'd look elsewhere to spend your money.

For us the day was an interesting and fun experience with lots of powder, fresh tracks, plenty of food, and good conversations, however I would not repeat the experience rather for my next cat skiing outing I'll look for an outfit that offers skiers grouped according to ability. That will likely involve a lodge-based cat skiing outfit.

But for an introductory one day cat ski experience I'd highly recommend these guys and gals.

2  Thank Dunderdiver