“Plenty to enjoy”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch
Reviewed 26 November 2016

We are fortunate to have a few excellent sushi restaurants ( like Sam's) for a smaller community and Sushi Deco is one of them. When I visit a restaurant for the first time, I am looking to see is what makes it different from similar restaurants that will bring me back again if I enjoy the food. The first impression of the outside might make you pass it by, but the food should have you coming back for more. Parking can be tricky if you park in front so I recommend parking at the back as it easier than getting back onto the Island Highway. The lunch plate is their generous version of a bento box, reasonably price for all that you get and allows you to choose from 11 types of sushi rolls. I had their spicy noodle soup which had been recommended to me. It is a sizeable serving of noodles ( two types to chose from) and plenty of ground pork and a tasty broth. What caught my eye quickly was the creamy eel tempura roll ( I've not seen this in Parksville before). Excellent! I can not easily recommend their version of the sunomono salad because the soy sauce based dressing was not to my liking. I prefer the more traditional vinegar based dressing. They offer some unique sushi rolls along with more familiar ones. Kids rolls available if you have little ones. Brown rice options for the sushi rolls is available. There is endless free green tea while dining in. It does have limited seating and is very busy at lunch. Their service is very friendly and attentive. Deserves to be one of the best sushi restaurants in Parksville.

Reviewed 23 November 2016

No where in Japan will you find BROWN RICE sushi...so much more healthy for us than that white bleached no food value rice used at most sushi joints. Local wild fish, great preparation and presentation with friendly smiles service. Lots of vegetarian items on the menu plus FREE brown rice tea...I have been eating here for 4 years and keep coming back because of the excellent quality and taste satisfaction. Their prices are way too cheap for what you get. This indeed is the best place to eat in Parksville. (I drive 140 km round trip to feast here! that's how good it is!)

2  Thank SecureSenior
Reviewed 1 May 2016 via mobile

Clean but very basic take-out joint with friendly owners. Good average sushi, but for any true sushi lover, the high rating is misleading. There is much better out there. I won't be going back.

Reviewed 27 March 2016

This sushi restaurant serves high quality sushi, rice bowls, salads, tempura, and other appetizers. The staff consists of a young Japanese couple - he does most of the cooking and she does most of the serving. There are a half dozen small tables - we reserved to get a table for 4. The food was made fresh and served quickly. The yam roll was particularly good! We also had dynamite roll, California roll, inari, and tuna roll - all very good. One of us had the chicken teriyaki bowl - it was a little too much rice compared to the amount of chicken and teriyaki sauce but was delicious. The tempura was very good - fresh, light, and not greasy. The only down side (and it's slight) is that the hours are very short (closes after dinner at 7 pm). We would definitely go again!

2  Thank Lisa T
Reviewed 28 January 2016

Sarah at Cedar`s Restaurant recommended this place. It is small but the food was very good. We ordered take-out so we could enjoy an evening at our Cottage at Tigh Na Mara. Great choice! Prices were reasonable as well.