“Much better than the reviews!”
Review of Sushi Sakura Japan

Sushi Sakura Japan
Ranked #49 of 104 Restaurants in Parksville
Price range: US$2 - US$14
Reviewed 18 May 2017 via mobile

I'm not sure where the multitude of poor reviews about this little restaurant came from, or perhaps I just came on an excellent day for them - but our meals were fantastic. I ordered the teriyaki salmon rice bowl, and my husband ordered the Bento box with a California roll and teriyaki chicken. You can see into the kitchen from the restaurant and watch the chef prepare your meal, his sushi chef certification from Japan is on the wall in front of the kitchen. They used fresh raw salmon to fry up and use in my teriyaki bowl, and fresh chicken to deep fry for my husbands bento box. The service was quick and friendly, the waitress was very happy and polite to us. The owners/chefs are a very kind Japanese couple, it's a family owned business that my husband and I were very impressed by. Perhaps they've had a hard start up as a family owned business prompting the poor reviews, but our experience was excellent and I will be back if I'm ever in the area again!

Reviewed 3 May 2017

Drove up from Nanaimo for dinner to find it closed. Had same experience back in December so called to confirm they would for sure be open. Was assured that they had staffing issues then, for sure would be open Tuesday. Nope. Can't believe it is still open if this is the way they run a business. Went down the street to Samurai Sushi... .see my review :)

Reviewed 25 February 2017

We have eaten at Sushi Sakura several times in the past few months. The food [nigiri, sushi rolls, bento boxes, etc] is always excellent. The sushi is always tasty, fresh and quite delightful. No problem in recommending this restaurant., Robin B

Reviewed 26 January 2017 via mobile

Went here in Dec for lunch on the run. Service was good. I eat a lot of sushi..living on the coast fish with all the seafood available. I just didn't enjoy my lunch. Didn't feel great after eating. So good service...poor sushi..so won't be going back

1  Thank Daphne D
Reviewed 2 January 2017

I was craving sushi and thought I'll check to see what restaurants there are in Parksville and two came up that were open on NYE - then I checked out Groupon and found a coupon for this place - having no expectations we went there and were quite impressed. Firstly with their "can do anything for you attitude" our server was very nice and accommodating - my husband is gluten free and she brought him a separate menu. We had the bento box and I wanted to sub the dynamite roll instead of cali roll and they said sure! Husband ordered the large Sapporo beer and she brought him a bottle, when we told her he wanted the large beer, she said no problem - keep the beer he had AND brought him the large beer n/c. We felt bad as we did tell her that we were dining on a groupon before ordering and they still went above and beyond.

What was a bonus is I love my Starbucks as much as I love my sushi and it was pouring rain outside so after sushi, I grabbed a coffee and we walked back to our hotel. I'd certainly come and eat here again "without" a groupon it was such great service and good sushi. Great value bento box $10 - the restaurant is small and hidden and nothing special but it was bright with lots of windows.

3  Thank Rae B