“German home cooking ”

Ranked #11 of 49 Restaurants in Castlegar
Price range: US$7 - US$20
Cuisines: German
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Description: The restaurant will be closed for public from November 1st till April 1st. Open for hotel guest everyday. Just let know at the reception you would like to dine in. Chameleon Restaurant-a fully licensed family restaurant,- is located down town in the center of Castlegar in the previous-once famous -Marlane Hotel, now Chameleon Hotel- with its own restaurant entrance. There is space for 39 people inside and a huge sunny licensed patio outside. The atmosphere is very intimate european. The food is all made from scratch and is major German and European like different Schnitzels, Bratwurst, Maultaschen Soup etc, but also incl. a variety of Spaghetti dishes,French dishes, Borsch, etc. The salads are all big chef salads and filling,and of course for the North Americans...home style Hamburgers. We speak english, german russian, romanian, french, open for lunch & dinner.
Reviewed 29 June 2017 via mobile

The Chameleon is owned by a German/Moldova couple. Most of the menu is German food, schnitzel etc. The food was good. Not 'high cuisine' but very good home cooking.

The restaurant is downtown Castlegar. It has some outside seating if it is a nice day.

Reviewed 24 June 2017

Good food takes time to prepare, so don't expect the 'fast food' experience. You will be rewarded for your patience, by an excellent dining experience. There was time to really enjoy a beverage, while waiting for my meal. It was not so long as to try my patience, but long enough to reflect on my day and thank my God for a lovely day.
I'm not really familiar with Bavarion cuisine, so I didnt know what to expect. My taste buds and my tummy were pleasantly surprised. I will be back to sample some of the other items on the menue.

Reviewed 11 May 2017

we stayed at the hotel for two days. we could not have enough of trying and enjoying the food.
everything was soooo good. especially the blinchiky and jager schnitzel with homemade spatzle. the chocolate mousse is also very good. the service was excellent .jager we will return for sure .
best of luck

Reviewed 18 February 2017

I enjoy german cuisine and have hoped to try this restaurant for more than 3-years now, but every time, season and year that I have gone to its doors for a meal there has been a hand written sign explaining one reason or another for its temporary closure. While some unpredictability is charming in a small town or small independent district sort of way, a consistent inconsistency is challenging to a potential customer, for sure. Maybe hiring a cook and a wait person would be a good investment in building a solid business?

Marina K, Owner at Chameleon Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2017

Dear traveler , we are very sorry to disappoint you. We are close for the winter seasons and will be close in future. But we are open for hotel guests. If you would like to try our food, we would be more then happy to cook for you. You would have to give us a call in advance .
We will not hire a cook unless its a German cook. The reason the food is so good is because we are doing it ourselves with love and care .
Sorry again and hoping to see you in our place .
Have a great day.
Marina

Reviewed 29 August 2016 via mobile

The restaurant has a great European menu. The spaetzle is served as a menu option during dinner that you should try. The staff is friendly and helpful.