“Dinner OK but not dimsum”

New Starlet Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #455 of 652 Restaurants in Burnaby
Reviewed 24 February 2018

Lot of parking, service is friendly. All dim sum below average compare to neighborhood competition. Porridge was the worst. For dinner, smoked tea flavor chicken is really delicious, mixed smoky soy sauce was a good condiments. Rest were all in average.

Reviewed 13 February 2018

Local food and affordable. If you're in the neighborhood and feeling like some authentic Asian food i would encourage you to go in and enjoy the menu.

Reviewed 17 November 2017 via mobile

Don’t expect western service and if you are one of the few non-Chinese folks at the restaurant, don’t be surprised if you are seated off in the corner, but the food is excellent. Portions are large, but leftovers are always handy.

Reviewed 14 November 2017 via mobile

First time to be here and my experienced was excellent. The foods are very delicious and very affordable in prices. The service was awesome, servers are very attentive and always checking on your table. There’s a complimentary dessert too. The restaurant is very busy, takes a little while to be seated. Highly recommended and definitely will go back here.

Reviewed 7 October 2017

Had lunch with a manager one day upon return from Abbotsford, so it's kind of hard to forget the experience.

We ended up here as I was looking for a Dim Sum place to try somewhere close to the Best Western Plus that I was staying at on Kingsway. I WAS trying to find Lee Garden, but was hungry and ended up here instead.

At first look, everything seemed fine. The place was full of people, which is usually a sign of either good food at acceptable prices, exceptional food at premium prices, or a bunch of old people who couldn't care less about how good the food is so long as they received what was perceived a premium service.

I'm going to have to go with Choice C here.

I had a chance to eat at Lee Garden a few days later, so I feel qualified to make the following statement - HOW CAN THIS PLACE STILL BE IN BUSINESS!?!??!!

It does not appear that the pricing between the two restaurants is any different, or at least materially different. We're still looking at $6 - $7 a dish, which is crazy expensive for Toronto, but understandably the norm for Vancouver.

The quality of the food was day and night. Let me be clear about one thing - the actual food itself was not cooked poorly in the sense that nothing was undercooked or not fresh. It's just that everything SUCKED.

Off the top of my head, we ordered Beef Tendon which had no flavour, which if I am looking for a pattern, seems to be a problem in Western Canada. We ordered Rice Noodle Roll with Bitter Melon, and the Bitter Melon was partially blanched before being haphazardly stuffed inside the roll - it was basically raw. The Shrimp Dumplings essentially had no taste in either the wrapper or the shrimp itself.

My favourite had to be the Gai Lan w/Oyster Sauce, which at $9 or so, should be better than blanched vegetables with a side of sauce with the volume of a ketchup packet,

Everything I had ate at Lee Garden was much better than this, and was about the same price. Hence, my opening statement about the people caring only about the perceived preferential service.

Oh yes.. there are places like that. Places that serve the worst possible food known to man, but because the staff know how to suck up to rich people and the old guard, they do incredible amounts of business because they know how to provide good service.

So yes.. good service at a Chinese place does exist. You just need to be Baller enough.

I can't say for certain this is the main draw of this place, but I have my suspicions because it certainly can't be the food.. unless their main target audience is old people with no taste buds. Which can't be the case because frankly, you can't gum a piece of raw bitter melon.

Maybe they were having an off day...

At any rate, would I go back again? Not really.. not with Lee Garden a few blocks down the road. Unless I absolutely had to eat something Chinese, and literally couldn't go more than a block away because.. oh, I don't know, I was tethered there by the Police or something.

Only visit if you're desperate.