Hotel Kirchbuhl(Schoenau im Schwarzwald)
TripAdvisor
Parkhotel Sonne(Schoenau im Schwarzwald)
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 1 June 2017 via mobile

This was a Sunday lunch stop on the way to somewhere else and we had made a reservation, which wasn't really necessary.
Schönau is a small village in the southern Black Forest approximately an hour from Basel. We arrived and perfunctorily told our table was at the end of the Terrasse. It is really just tables outside and the view is of other buildings. If you sit on the road side then you can see the Church.
I don't know whether the woman who served us was having an especially bad day but the service was dreadful. Everything was just too much trouble for her and this continued until we asked for the bill. The mood changed considerably but that may have had something to do with the (im)possible tip.
The food though was wonderful. The rump steak was cooked perfectly, the käsespaetzli were light and fluffy. It was asparagus season so we so we tried those as a side dish. They were also cooked perfectly.
There are so many other good places in the region it is a pity the service let them down, but food definitely gets an A.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 July 2016

Stayed four nights in Gasthof Vier Lowen with our 11 year old in July 2016 and were not disappointed. We originally booked to stay half-board (with evening meal) for 2 nights, but (in agreement with our child) we decided to extend this to a third night after our first meal there. The menu on each night was superb with a great choice of dishes, while the desserts were a wonder to behold.

Gasthof Vier Lowen is a very professional, family-run hotel, with both staff and management extremely friendly and courteous, and could not have done more to make us feel welcome. Our large bedroom was spotless, which included a very comfortable fold-out bed for our child, and also featured a lovely balcony looking out onto the village and local bakery (just a minute walk from hotel). The hotel pool is actually fairly large and great for a relaxing swim, particularly after a long day out exploring the Schwarzwald!

Schonau is a very peaceful and delightful village, with a couple of other eateries, but has all the essentials one might need if wishing to use it as a base to explore the area - bakery (as prev mentioned), church, bank, hairdresser, supermarket, pharmacy etc. There are also numerous walks available in the immediate area (without the need for a car) while the village itself is well served by a local bus service.

While Shonau is a lovely place to stay, it was Gasthof Vier Lowen that made this particular visit to Germany extra special, and we will definitely be staying there again. Five Stars!!!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 50 to the rear of the hotel - lovely view!
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2015 via mobile

Wonderful stay for Schonau. It is a very small town. Surprisingly the food is outstanding. Try the trout , it was superb. The place is very clean and well kept but do not expect high luxury, this is a country style hotel. Feels like hotels were a long time ago. I will stay here again.

The fresh mountain air and the quiet town gave me the best nights sleep in years. I really recommend this hotel and restaurant.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank cialeto
Reviewed 10 June 2015

Just stayed here overnight, choosing it originally for its location on good public transport across the Black Forest. Schoenau is a quiet place but reasonably good as a base.
I had one of the economy Belchen rooms which was fine, overlooking the pedestrianised street, and quiet at night. The hotel has adopted ecofriendly and "slow food " (not slow service!) policies, which also appealed to me - the food was excellent. There is a nice pool, big enough for a small hotel - my only quibble is that it shuts at 7 pm which is rather early. I didn't use the sauna as it's only free if you take half board - which I'd certainly consider if staying longer, the menu looked fine.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank Colin P
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Today marked the first day of our family vacation to the Schwarzwald. After a long day in the car we stopped in at the Vier Löwen restaurant and all I can say is wow!The food was absolutely terrific and the staff was perfectly wonderful to all of us (me, my wife and our 6 year old and 18 month old) leaving a great and lasting first impression on our visit to this breath taking region in Germany. Great food and an inviting family friendly atmosphere...a must stop if you're in the area!!

Stayed: July 2014