“Fish Night Out”
Review of Fish Tales Cafe

Fish Tales Cafe
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Why not treat treat yourself to a traditional English favorite:Fish & Chips, we pride ourselves on offering the best Fish'n chips on the Island as well as an extensive selection of seafood, steaks, chicken, salads, homemade soups & daily specials. Enjoy the ambience of an old English country garden setting, just steps away from the beach.
Reviewed 3 February 2017

My wife suggested we give this place a try and we are glad we did. It has the charm of an English cottage inside and out. Very quaint and welcoming. We were seated at an intimate table by a window. The menu cover, tells the Tale of how this place came to be, and in going through the food selections, English style fish dishes are throughout. Both of us ordered the Cod (two pieces) with chips and slaw. I also ordered a side dish of mushy peas. The food arrived in a timely fashion and was served fresh and hot. Each piece of fish was of a good size (guessing 4 ozs.) along with a good measure of inhouse made french fries. The peas came in their own dish, served piping hot and were very flavorable, definitely brought back memories from my youth. Back to the fish, the batter was light and tastey, of good quality and more than met our expectations. Our only regret was that we did not leave room to try any of the deserts, will have to remember this for next time. In conclusion, we totally enjoyed our experience at Fish Tales and look forward to our next visit.

Reviewed 21 January 2017

Four of us went to this restaurant and ordered the 'All The Fish You Can Eat' and were very surprised at the quantity of fish we got right at the start, the amount of fries, and the lightness of the batter, the tenderness of the fish and the 'yumminess' of the fries. The beer on tap was a great accompaniment. None of us ordered any more fish! We had tried this before and wondered if the quality and portion size would be the dame. Everything was consistent! This is becoming a place to go to for us. I'm sure they would like us to try something else on their varied menu! Maybe next time.....

Reviewed 17 January 2017

We had heard about their prime rib dinner so wanted to try it for ourselves. Two of us had the prime rib dinner, which was wonderful, according to my friend "one of the best ever", and I had calamari with tzatziki, and a spinach salad, also very good. The staff were prompt, attentive, and professional, and the food was excellent; we really enjoyed the atmosphere as well. As we were one of the last ones in the restaurant, the owner came over and talked to us for a few minutes and it was interesting to chat with him - he's a very pleasant person. The recommended wine with dinner was also very good. We will definitely be back. By the way: The carpets are obviously new and the bathrooms are renovated and are fresh and clean.

Reviewed 11 January 2017

We'd heard so much about this restaurant that we made the drive from Nanaimo up to Qualicum Beach to try it. This was the night before our early morning flight home, and we drove up because we wanted to see if the hype is justified.

IT IS!!!! I can't say enough about this place!!

The building looks like a quaint British cottage on a wonderful property. The interior is just as quaint, and a tad romantic.

We were greeted by hostess Becky, who was warm, welcoming and friendly, as she showed us to one of the best tables by a window.

Our server, Deryk, took over and made great menu and wind suggestions. He was friendly, knowledgeable and professional. And attentive!

The calamari was excellent, as was Mesclun salad.

Deryk's wine suggestion was right on the mark! I regret that I had to drive back to Nanaimo that night. :)

I had the Ling cod with french fries.

The batter is an in-house secret recipe, which was delicious. It was light and crispy.

The fish itself was delicate and truly outstanding.

Dessert of sticky toffee pudding topped it off. I've had it in Britain many times, and this was just as good as I've ever had.

The place was spotlessly clean, even though we arrived near the end of the dinner period and were the last guests in the restaurant. I tipped double what might be considered 'normal'.

If you get anywhere near to Qualicum Beach (like within three hours), this place is a MUST!!

Reviewed 3 January 2017

We have been through Qualicum Beach many times but this was our first time at Fish Tales Cafe. If I could give it 6 stars I would. It surpassed all expectations. The decor of the restaurant was excellent. Clean, well maintained, cozy English pub atmosphere, everything you would want for a comfortable dinner out. The service was absolutely fantastic. The waitress was very efficient, helpful, attentive, nice person. We did not have to wait long for our food. It was cooked perfectly and the flavour was incredible. The price was extremely good for what you got. Large portions of halibut, delicious fries. It was one of the best restaurants we have ever eaten in. We will be going back many times and telling all our friends about this place. You will not be disappointed.