“March”

The Lock Up
Ranked #20 of 1,758 Restaurants in Bristol
Price range: US$5 - US$25
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

The staff are friendly and very welcoming. Also love the decor inside.

I had a burger and chips with coleslaw. And have preciously had the breakfast. Both delicious. The burger was juicy and not over cooked.

On the breakfast my poach egg was perfect.

Definitely plan on coming back in the evening for cocktails and evening meal!

1  Thank grace r

Reviewed 29 March 2018

We reach the restaurant seemingly excited to see what the magic of all the great positive reviews written about the restaurant, we were then asked if we made a reservation, which we politely said no. We were then told we would have to wait till 8.45pm ( was 7.45pm). Well we thought since we were there anyway, might as well wait.

Now i am unsure if its a compliment to think that us asians are extremely resilient to cold but we were told to wait outside as inside seemingly does not have the space to allow us to wait.

1.Whilst time is approaching 8.30 ( in between the bustling of people leaving the premises) we were surprised to see that we had been waiting outside in the cold despite having empty spaces the whole time that we could have been inside in the warm condition, this does not leave a very good first impression. Its as though we were punished or the waiter seems to think it is right to give an impression that the restaurant is so busy that we should not think it would be easy to enjoy dinner there without a prior reservation.
2. So after sitting down ( next to 2 more other empty tables ), we had to see the waiters swooped past us and ignoring us when we obviously raised our hands to signal our intent to order, the waitress smiles *pretentiously and says please wait and continues to ignore us while serving, talking and chit-chatting with other customers. ( now at this point I'm not even sure if its racist or you have to be a long serving customer to be attended to courteously. So after some time, our orders are finally taken. The wait for the food isn't that long, probably around 30 to 45 minutes. Now the food is good, but it isn't great, especially not out of this world enough to warrant such treatment.
3. Now when it comes to payment, this time i am pretty sure it is not my imagination when the waitress actually saw me again raising my hands and totally ignored my plea to pay for the food. I usually provide tips but on this occasion, I felt that giving that additional 1 more point on my rating just because it is not entirely the establishment's fault, it is probably the fault of the two servers that were either ignorant or just outright racist.

Overall the painstaking 2 hours ordeal from a seemingly 6 star restaurant repertoire treatment leaves me wondering if nowadays reviews can be bought, or perhaps it is just my skin colour that has somewhat provided me with a different manner of a perspective of how others derived at a 5-star rating of this restaurant.
I would not recommend first-time comers especially if you are Asian and if you have not made a booking or reservation in advance.

Alexandra D, Owner at The Lock Up, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

Dear Nicos C

Thank you for taking the time to review the Lock Up.

We see online reviews as an important management tool as part of our continuous training for all of our employees, whether positive or negative.

I am sorry that your experience was not a positive one on this occasion and we are saddened that your views of us were so strong.

I was not personally working on the date of your visit, but have investigated your points with my staff, and they are very upset that any of their level of service would be observed to be negative, and certainly discriminatory in any way.

As a small independent restaurant, we, as is with the policy of TripAdvisor tm, we do not influence or purchase positive reviews and get a great sense of satisfaction from people using social media to champion all the great things we are doing here in Redfield. We pride ourselves on creating great working and dining environment and we are all smarting that you didn’t experience the Lock Up this way.

If you would like to email me (info@thelockupbristol.com ) I would be happy to address some of the other points of criticism, you have made in a more private manner and not on this public forum, and explain in detail how difficult it is to manage a busy restaurant sometimes
I hope you had a great Easter period and look forward to hearing from you soon.

William

Reviewed 27 March 2018

My wife, her parents and I went to The Lock Up last Sunday (25th March) for the Sunday roast. My wife and I have been here before for an evening meal and for drinks another time but that was soon after they opened. We booked lunch for 12:45 and when we arrived it wasn't so busy downstairs where we were seated but it soon filled up. The atmosphere was very warming and the staff were very polite. They had music playing which I don't mind but it meant people spoke louder over it so at times it was a bit loud for the parents but it didn't detract from the food or the meal. We didn't choose starters, preferring to go for a main and a dessert, but they sounded lovely. I found it hard to choose from the mains as they all sounded great but ended up going for the pressed shoulder of lamb whilst the in-laws went for the cider braised belly of pork and my wife the nut roast...adding some cauliflower cheese to share as an extra. Personally I believe that it was the best roast I've had in a very long time. The lamb was very tender and the vegetables perfectly cooked. The Yorkshire pudding was very light and airy and perfect for mopping up the last of the gravy, whilst the roast potatoes were lovely and crispy on the outside and fluffy in the middle. Even the mint sauce was great with a slight thickness to it. I had a little bit of my wife's nut roast and would have happily had it myself! I didn't go for a dessert but I did try my wife's dark chocolate torte, salted caramel ice cream and sesame snap and it really didn't disappoint; absolutely gorgeous. I know that everyone has their own ideas of what makes a great Sunday roast but this really ticked all of the boxes for me. I just can't wait to go back and try another choice.

Reviewed 21 March 2018

Second visit and it gets even better..dining with my wife and her brother,,and he cooks in a michelin starred restaurant,and was very excited by the food..says it all..

Reviewed 19 March 2018 via mobile

What a treat!!!
Great welcome from the start. This was one of our dinner away from the kids and it had to be special.
It exceeded expectations in every aspect. I had the pigeon which was cook to perfection.
The menu was so good that I couldn’t make my mind. I love the wine served by pichet (milk bootle). Our waitress was lovely and friendly.
We would love to have this place in downend or staple hill.