“Birthday meal”
Review of Wilsons Restaurant

Wilsons Restaurant
Ranked #34 of 1,674 Restaurants in Bristol
Reviewed 29 September 2017 via mobile

What a wonderful, unique, charming restaurant. Loved it and will certainly be back. Thank you for a really delicious meal celebrating our friends birthday. Just exquisite

Reviewed 27 September 2017 via mobile

Small menu but exciting delicious food. So great to have such enthusiastic and knowledgeable staff who couldn't do enough for you. Incredible cod roe on squid ink cracker amuse bouche

Reviewed 27 September 2017

we arrived 12.30,only couple there for a while then joined by 7 more diners.Unless you go down there[no website menu] you are not able to see the 3 starters,mains and puds,tough if you do not like the options.Seating hard, but nice laid out clean tables with proper serviettes. Amuse bouche profiteroles of mushrooms nice and squid ink wafers with cod roe not sure I liked.We had starters of mine; boudain tasty his turnip/peach too sweet.Both had deer with pear and beetroot again nice but could have improved with some puree potato,pud of pear,choc and ice cream lovely.Portions small so do not expect to feel full.Good bread and 3 choices of wines.

Reviewed 24 September 2017

This was my second visit in a few months and third or fourth in total. Wilson's is the perfect local, independent restaurant. It's good value for the quality of food and attention to delivering an enjoyable evening without the formal stuffiness normally associated with food of this quality.

In a previous visit in the early summer, we had an amazing tomato consommé as one of the pre-food 'nibbles'. It was the best dish I've tasted all year. We mused on this in advance of our autumn visit thinking it would be but a memory of summer.

We had some yummy wafers with smoked cod's roe and some beignets filled with mushroomy/ truffle yumminess.

And then some late season tomatoes appeared in a cup of ambrosia. The consommé was still on the menu!

Quite frankly I could bathe is this creation. We cheekily asked for more and Jan appeared with two extra wine glasses of this nectar.

It's worth coming here just to experience the essence of tomato. But you'll portably have to wait until summer 2018 now.

The pigeon broth with pigeon dumplings was yummy and the mallard luscious. My son had the hake, leeks and it was yummy too. The peach soup was a bit underwhelming but once a lemon verbena leaf was included in a spoonful the dish really came together.

Wilson's is a perfect local (at least it is for me), independent restaurant - great cooking, great space, , great stand, and great value given the quality, care and ethos the owners and staff put in.

Reviewed 23 September 2017 via mobile

What can I say? Jan and the team at Wilson's just keep on delivering, and last night was no exception: the amuse bouches were tantalising and between the four of us we tried all three of the starters - special mention for the woodcock broth, oh and for my turnip with caviar and as for the Mackerel tartare: sublime!

Onto the main courses.....I'm still dreaming about my Mallard but balancing that with my food envy for my wife's choice of Hake. So, having had the third main option as an amuse bouche we were still on for having 'eaten' the menu between the four of us.

However, we stumbled at pudding: two for cheese and two for the Peach soup and sorbet. Again, faultless...I'm going back for the chocolate delice!

I'm no Jay Rayner, but I can see why he canned Cardiff to come here (Google his review). The restaurant is simple and unpretentious and there's an air of humility about the team: this place is about the food and not about egos: bravo Wilson's.

PS so pleased to see a thoughtful beer selection too!