The Clifton Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$110
US$62
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn Express Bristol - North(Bristol)(Great Value!)
US$112
US$93
US$112
US$93
  • Breakfast included
Future Inn Cabot Circus Hotel(Bristol)(Great Value!)
US$82
US$81
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
PremierInn.com
All reviewsfresh fruitloose teaground coffeenight portercity centrevisiting bristolstayed here for one nightcliftonuniversity
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Unusual circumstances required on this trip as it was a Dads and Lads Annual rugby tour. About 50 of us on an U13 rugby tour. Yes the rooms are smallish, yes I hated the shower (it was incredibly temperamental) but to be honest, I’m struggling to hate anything else for the price. Staff have bent over backwards to help us, great (and surprisingly large) bar and restaurant in the basement. Quaint little coffee bar. Breakfast was nice. Always judge a breakfast by the quality of the fruit juice. Fresh and definitely not concentrate.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
Jack C, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear TheCroods,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review with us. I am sorry to hear that you had issues with the shower, I will speak with the team to get to the bottom of the problem! I am, however, very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay! The staff work so hard to give a high level of service and the breakfast is delicious. I will pass on your comments to the team.

Remember for the best available rates always book directly on our wesbite, over the phone or by email.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Staff were helpful, warm and welcoming. Questions were answered promptly, informative and accurately. The room was clean and comfortable (with plenty of extras - complimentary cafetière coffee a real plus.) The WiFi was excellent and breakfast was plentiful, fresh, locally sourced, and delicious. You can't really ask for more.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Thank G. Rhydian M

Dear G.Rhydian M,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a 5 star review with us! I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay. We work very hard to provide excellent service so I will pass on your comments to the team. We look forward to welcoming you back soon to the Clifton Hotel.

Remember for the best rates always book directly on our website, over the phone or online.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Just a one night stay as attended a concert at the O2 Academy. Ideally placed, approx 10-15min walk to the O2, but also close to many shops, bars / restuarants etc, amenities and the University.

Set in a Georgian period building, the hotel was very reasonably priced for an Executive King Room, although I would say the use of 'Executive' was maybe a tad OTT??, but the room / bed was comfortable, and there were some nice touches e.g. fresh fruit, plenty of tea and coffee, a mini-bar and the towels decoratively laid out on the bed. The shower room was very nice - a decent shower in fact.

The hotel has its own private parking facility, a secure garage approx 30m up the road. Easy! Just pull up to the garage door, ring the intercom and you are let in. Once at Reception, pay £8.00, that's for 24 hour parking, and you're given a permit to put in the car and a key fob for operating the garage door. Street parking is available, but it is limited. The garage facility cannot be reserved, so first come, first served really.

The only negatives about the room were, a stain on the bed cover and the window frames had not been dusted, a good layer of dust was present. These have been highlighted on the feedback card. I would also say that the mini-bar prices were a little on the heavy side e.g. £1.50 for a standard Cadbury Twirl bar. Needless to say, the mini-bar was not touched, although to be fair, we didn't need it. For those who do, then there's a reasonable choice of soft and alcoholic drinks to be had. The old fashioned large sash windows are not conducive to preventing the outside noise. Sadly, very early Friday morning appears to be bin day, so the sound of the bin lorry, and the associated noises, was a too early wake-up call. It may vary depending on which room you stay in?

Ending on some more positives, the Reception Staff we met were all very helpful and friendly, and the hotel does have a nice airy and friendly atmosphere. We didn't eat here, but the cafe / bar and adjoining restaurant all look like decent eateries. Would I stay here again? Yes, it's in a very pleasant area of Bristol, Clifton, and it is ideal to use as a base for exploring Bristol. The famous suspension bridge is just under a mile away, as is the zoo and central Bristol City is about a mile + away. All within easy walking distance and public transport is readily available. Thank you.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jerry B

Dear JerryB,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review with us! We are very lucky to be so excellently placed in Bristol; our location is perfect for the centre and the university. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our newly refurbished King Rooms and the extra touches which we provide in all of our rooms.

We are very lucky to have our own car park; Clifton can be quite difficult for parking so we are very proud to offer, as you say, a first come first serve car park.

Thank you for taking the time to fill out the feedback card. We have replaced the bed cover, and apologise for the issue. I am sorry that you had issues with the noise from the truck outside; I will address with them why they came so early. We are very proud to offer minibars in most of our rooms and prove very popular with some guests; but we are reviewing our stock so I will take your comments on board.

We have an excellent reception team at the Clifton who work very hard to give exceptional service so I am pleased you enjoyed our friendly atmosphere.

I am pleased to hear you would stay again; we would love to welcome you back. Remember for the best rates always book directly1

Reviewed 18 March 2018

There was a card in our room inviting us to leave feedback on Tripadvisor. I am not sure that this was wise but here goes. We stayed here for a night in March. We were allocated room 67 in the attic and found ourselves in a poky little room with drafts coming in through tiny windows, an even tinier bathroom, a hot tap that trickled and a toilet that wouldn’t flush. To add insult to injury we discovered that we were paying exactly the same for our room (£78) as friends staying one floor below in room 50 (which to be fair was quite nice). I raised this with the receptionist before we left and was told that attic rooms normally attract a lower charge but that we were all paying the same because we had made a block booking. Excuse me?

I would normally add a star or two to a review by saying the staff had been helpful but on this occasion cannot do so. I asked for a coffee only to be told that would not be possible because a particular member of staff was looking after a hen party who had camped out in the lounge. The hen party didn’t look as if they needed any help to enjoy themselves so I asked again. This time the person said I could have a paper cup but not a china cup. This didn’t make sense as both types of cup were available. So I asked again. This time the person said that it wouldnt be convenient at that moment as he was working on his laptop. Maybe he was having a bad day. He probably wasn’t the person who invited us to review his hotel for Tripadvisor...

Room Tip: Avoid the top floor at all costs
Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Chris I
Jack C, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2018

Dear Chris l,

Thank you for leaving the time to review with us. I am pleased that we are in discussion about the issues that you had so I can address them accordingly.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We always aim to give 5 star service and I am disappointed to hear that you did not feel that you recieved this. The issues with the toilet not flushing and the tap trickling is something which I have already checked with the housekeeping team to make sure that it is now working so that this issue can be prevented from happening. I am sorry that you were given misleading information regarding the upper floor rooms; the rates as a whole fluctuate depending on how busy we are and this is not related to the position of the room in the building. I will be talking to the team to make sure that they understand how the rates work as the attic rooms are not priced differently; it is dependent on the type of room.

We usually have really excellent feedback about our staff so I am disappointed that you did not find them helpful. I have spoken with the Caffe staff about the issues you had. The Caffe is also an event space which can be hired out by customers, this was the case on this occasion. During these times the Caffe serves take away coffees in times that are quieter during the event but unfortunately the space is closed off for private hire during this time to those who have hired it. I have spoken with the supervisor about the set up as I understand it was extremely busy, I am sorry that you did not recieve the coffee you asked at the time of asking and the service.

As I say I will discuss with you more about the issues that you had.

Reviewed 17 March 2018

The receptionist was lovely the evening I arrived. Small room but functional. Single glazing and not sound proof unfortunately. The staff was not as nice in the morning. There was a power cut at night

Stayed: March 2018
JTiernay, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2018

Hi Juliette,

Thank you for your review. I am glad you found the receptionist on arrival friendly. I am sorry to hear that you experienced a couple of issues with power and noise. If you would like to contact us and chat with us directly regarding these issues our number is 01179736882 or you can contact us through the website. It would be great to be able to find out exactly what the issues were so that we can address them.

Kind regards,