“Birthday Meal”

Giggling Squid Clifton
Ranked #125 of 1,735 Restaurants in Bristol
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: Thai
Description: My husband, Andy, has a cousin who lives in beautiful Clifton. She told us that this part of Bristol would love a Thai restaurant like ours. So we put one in! We really enjoyed turning what was a square box into ‘a feast for the eyes’ as someone put it. You’ll notice that there are lots of books lining the back walls. To open the restaurant, we had to sell the house we were living in, which meant all our books needed a new home. Without me knowing, Andy decided to relocate them to the restaurant! One day I was flicking through a couple of the books, and thought how weird it was that they looked similar to ours. It didn’t hit home until I saw a ‘How To’ baby book covered in my notes! When we eventually buy our own house again, I’ll have to take them back!
Reviewed 6 August 2017 via mobile

We went to the Giggling Squid to celebrate our daughter's birthday and thoroughly enjoyed our evening. There was a lovely atmosphere and all the staff were extremely polite and welcoming. We had a sharing platter of starters which was very enjoyable. My husband then had a chicken curry, my daughter the duck in orange and myself the sizzling mixed seafood. We also had side orders of rice and Pad Thai. Everyone enjoyed their meal and the food was tasty, beautifully presented and portion size just about right. Yes, as with all restaurants the drinks are on the expensive side but it is up to you what and how much you drink. We didn't have desserts so not able to comment on these. All in all, well worth a visit if you are in Clifton.

Reviewed 5 August 2017 via mobile

From the greeting to leaving the restaurant the team at the giggling squid was faultless. The staff were attentive, the food incredible-as the title says it took us back to the restaurants we ate in when we visited Thailand 18 months ago which reflects the authenticity of the food-the stood up sea bass was the highlight for me-an unbelievably tasty dish! Don't hesitate to visit!

Reviewed 4 August 2017

We checked out the menu a couple of weeks ago on the way to another lunch. So today (a rainy Friday morning) we decided to cheer things up and try out the Giggling Squid for lunch. We ate at about noon so the restaurant was quiet and sat at a table by the window watching people dodging showers. The lunch menu offers Thai tapas as individual dishes or as several 'set menu' selections. There are also curries and noodles as 'one big dish', but we chose to have the option of a starter and main for £7.75 - when made with chicken; slightly more for prawn, slightly less for vegetarians. We were offered and took the option to have all the dishes served together so we could share them 'banquet style', albeit a mini banquet for two. Pork dumplings and tempura vegetables were light, fresh and delicious, with good dipping sauces. The 'mains' of Red Curry and Pad Thai, both with chicken, ticked all the boxes for fragrant flavour and spice. The balance of meat, vegetable, sauce and carbs was just right for a satisfying lunch. A glass of Merlot highlighted on the menu as "popular" didn't disappoint with the way it complemented the food. Good food, good service and atmosphere, and a reasonable price. And... there are plenty more things on the menu that we want to try so there are a few more meals on the horizon. What's Not To Like.

Reviewed 4 August 2017

We went on a Monday night thinking it would be quiet. It was busy but we did not have to wait long for our food. There were four of us and we all had starters and a main. I had the salt and pepper squid and it was gorgeous, we all had different mains and they were all very good. The staff are very efficient and polite.

Reviewed 3 August 2017 via mobile

The giggling squid is great and always a good atmosphere, very busy most of the time as the food is great so would recommend booking even on a weekday. My friend and I had prawn crackers to start with sweet chilli sauce (great portion sizes) then we had the red Thai curry (one with prawn and one with chicken) food came quickly and every time the flavour is consistently on point! Both cooked to perfection! The service is always brilliant and the friendliest staff in a bristol restaurant, will be heading back here soon!