“A wonderful tour”

Ted Coney's Family Portraits
Ranked #13 of 17 things to do in Ely
Reviewed 2 October 2017

We found out about Ted's gallery on an online page here on Trip Advisor. He was very helpful when I made contact and arranged for myself and friend to visit. The work is outstanding, and the descriptions and explanations of the thoughts behind the paintings were touching and thought provoking. We absolutely loved it, and found Ted to be a charming and pleasant guide. We will visit again to view some other paintings. Thoroughly recommended to those interested in personal experiences of art. Thank you Ted. You were a highlight of our weekend.

Reviewed 16 October 2016

I thoroughly enjoyed my visit to Ted's home. I often go to London to visit galleries and was thrilled to be able to enjoy a tour of excellent work and fascinating tour with detailed explanations of each piece of work - right on my own doorstep. The best part of a gallery visit, for me, is having an insight into the artist's ideas, inspirations and processes. I learned a great deal from my visit and even felt inspired to produce something myself. I had one of the eight tours on the subject of Time and I intend to go back and gradually work my way through all of the other tours. Highly recommendable.

Reviewed 30 September 2016

Ely on a rainy day is still worth a visit - as is Ted Coney's very personal trip down Memory Lane. Not simply a gathering of 'faces from the past', [although there are some] but with fascinating representation of times gone by - both happy, sad, even painful times. It was an enormous pleasure to spend time with the Artist, whose boundless enthusiasm was a real joy, too. There was even tea and a tea-cake or three. Thank you.

1  Thank ethelthefrog69
Reviewed 11 July 2015

We came across this attraction when researching what do to in Ely for a weekend and were directed to watch the virtual tour. This short video gave us a sneak peak into the world of Ted Coney's family portraits. What a fascinating world it is. This video made up our minds and we booked that evening for a tour (make sure you book as the tours fill up fast). On the tour each painting was explained in detail; what inspired Ted to paint them, the history of his family and the stories behind them. It made us reflect on our family and how much we don't know. It clearerly shows Ted's passion for his subject (his family!) and his ability to bring ideas together. I thoroughly recommend this as a 'must do' for any visit to Ely and the beautiful waterside area.