“Perfect!”

Price range: US$59 - US$99
Cuisines: European
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Olive Tree may be in Chester, nestled in the sumptuous womb of the Green Bough Hotel, a luxury Victorian townhouse hotel, but for all the world it can feel like you've been transported to Tuscany. Rich Italian wallpaper and beautiful Italianate oil paintings grace the walls. Happily, you can take your time absorbing the space - a table is yours once seated. Savoy-trained chef/patron Philip Martin brings together an eclectic mix of aromas and flavours in an extensive, weekly-changing menu of innovative dishes epitomised by assiette of seafood - a delightful offering of red mullet, brill and king scallops; and Mediterranean vegetables with goats' cheese and parmesan crust. On cold evenings, it's nice to sit nibbling canap��s by the smouldering 17th century lounge fireplace. Attentive service.
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We were staying in the hotel as part of a 50th party and decided that we would all dine here. 18 of us. The staff were first class, the food was delicious and the room was just the ticket for the size of the party. Well worth a visit even if not staying at the hotel.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

Last night's visit to The Olive Tree restaurant at the Green Bough hotel for their 8-course Valentine's Gourmet Dinner was really enjoyable. The service was friendly and welcoming but unobtrusive. The food was delicious. Our favourite was the Rosemary and Garlic Baked Camembert but the fillet of Aberdeen Angus as well as the Poached Oysters and Scallops were equally memorable. Gaps between courses were perfectly-timed and, although the dining-room was full, the experience still felt intimate. Only tiny criticism was my husband's fillet could have been a little warmer. Overall excellent value and we will certainly be dining there again.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

After a truly shocking meal at MPW's the previous evening, this was exactly what we needed. Unpretentious, perfectly prepared food, cooked for us as indiviuals, arriving piping hot and beautifully flavoured. Staff were attentive without being overbearing, atmosphere, quiet and extremely civilised. I could not recommend this restaurant highly enough. Next time we're in Chester I shall be going again, (and I hate doing that because I love trying new places)

Reviewed 17 January 2014

My wife and I were staying at The Green Bough Hotel and ate, like many of those commenting, at their restaurant, the Olive Tree.
My food was fabulous. Scallops to start, tasty and delicious. The twice cooked Welsh lamb was falling off the bone. By the time the plumb crumble came I was near finished but managed. My wife had a beet root soup that was also first class, followed by a gnocchi that was a little sweet for her taste but still thoroughly enjoyed. A wild berries, limoncello cream was a little heavy on the latter but she finished it off nonetheless.
The staff were excellent, attentive from the moment we arrived until our departure.
We enjoyed their complimentary breakfast the following morning. The spread of cereals and fruits was eye catching but I opted to end my stay with the full English and that was perfect; poached eggs as best as I've eaten.
Next time we're in Chester this will be the place to eat.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

We stayed at the Green Bough and ate at the Olive Tree on our first night, after reading all the reviews I was very excited at the prospect as most of the reviews complimented the food. However I was quite disappointed, everything was ok but not out of the ordinary, the bread that we were offered to start was tasteless, I would have thought that it would have been freshly baked and warm but it wasn't. I can't really remember what I ate, I think I had the salmon (that's how memorable it was!) We have stayed at many Hotels in the past and had really fine dining but unfortunately the Olive tree didn't live up to its reputation.