“Splendid Smokehouse”

Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Nearest bus stop 300 yards
Description: Located on the bank of the river Dee at a spot known locally as the Groves, in the the heart of the historic city of Chester. We are fanatical about flames; silly about smokers and utterly obsessed with the smells, tastes and traditions of the Deep South. Our smokin' hot menu is available all day every day, from smokehouse classics including ribs, Texas style beef brisket, to steak and burgers. Serving breakfast, lunch and dinner 7 days a week and a specially designed kids menu that includes ‘grown-up’ tastes and some fun healthy options, the entire family can experience the flavours of the deep South.
Reviewed 12 February 2018 via mobile

Packed out on Sat evening (booked a couple of weeks in advance and the earliest table was 9:15!) but it was worth the wait to be greeted with the wonderfully smokey scents upon entering the restaurant.

Nibbled on the complimentary popcorn whilst waiting on the baby back and spare ribs which we shared between us. Half a rack each was more than sufficient! Lovely flavours and the meat fell off the bones.

Only minor point was the place felt very warm as it was so busy; could have done with a bit of air con as it wasn't the most pleasant dining environment.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,851)

Reviewed 11 February 2018

Greeted on arrival shown to the table and service was great, until the desert we asked for a menu but then nothing, and after 30 minutes just opted for the bill instead. Good afternoon until this point, raised the point with the floor manager who was more interested in what we had planned fro the rest of the day..

1  Thank karl h
Reviewed 11 February 2018 via mobile

The staff are extremely friendly and helpful, they even put balloons out on the table when I mentioned I was booking for my mum's birthday. Food was delicious, I recommend the ribs. Prices are a little high, but it's worth it for the standard of food & service.

Reviewed 10 February 2018 via mobile

Disappointed we arrived only to be told after 45 mins that thy did not receive our meal in the kitchen as otherwords thy messed up we noticed People arrived after us had their meal not impressed as it was my wife’s birthday meal as for the service I had to go to the bar to get our drinks very very disappointed in the service quite shocking really not impressed with hickory smokehouse very disappointed really two mistakes is not a coincidence it’s a tragedy then at the end to ask how the service was I asked what service totally rubbish sorry hickory you get a 0/10 from me and thanks for ruining my wife’s birthday unforgivable totally messed up you should be ashamed of yourself

Reviewed 10 February 2018 via mobile

Came here with friends to catch up. This is one of my favourite places to eat anywhere.
We were sat down and given the menus, I already knew what I wanted - the new road trip sampler! We ordered drinks (mine came with a Portland beer as part of the price) whilst my friend had a few "issues" with the server in terms of asking for a finance recommendation. She was offered a choice of two - Hendrik's or Beefeater... In the end, my friend went to the bar and the more knowledgeable barman picked a gin for her. In fact was a perfect choice.
The road trip sampler was £15 including:
* Sticky Tennessee Baby Back Ribs
* Fried Buttermilk Chicken Skewer
* Barbecue Wings Korean Style
* Charred Corn on the Cob
* Cauliflower Mac 'n' Cheese
* Beer
Great value, but I thought all the meats were overly salty. My friend had the sampler and he thought the same too. My other friend had the vegetarian skewers and was really happy with hers.
We then went for desert - custard ice cream. The perfect ending, whilst we also visited the "creation station" to add out own toppings.

I won't be having the sampler again, but will definitely be having the ice cream again. If you want an"special" drink, speak to the barman.