The Chester Grosvenor
Hotels.com
US$97
PremierInn.com
2,739 results
All reviewssimon radley restaurantla brasseriearkle barthermal suitemichelin star restaurantturn down serviceafternoon teacontinental breakfastdeluxe roombeautiful hotelmini bartable serviceluxury hotelspecial occasionporridgeon arrivalcar park
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 January 2018

We were very well received by professional, polite and helpful reception and portering staff. The hotel held a good central location and the parking by the portering staff was a real benefit.
The entrance, sweeping staircase and chandelier in the hotel befitted its reputation.
However, our room was hugely disappointing. We were expecting five star luxury but the facilities, decor and cleanliness of the room and bathroom fell well short of our expectations. For example, to find black hairs in the bath was unacceptable. The bathroom was old fashioned and the bath needed replacing as a replacement surface which had been applied to the bath was disintegrating. Not enough attention had been paid to cleaning overall.
Smaller details such as a limited choice of teas in the room for the morning and a limited breakfast menu choice did not compare well with a bed and breakfast hotel in which we had stayed the night before. The price we paid, even at a discounted rate was not commensurate with the facilities experienced. Much improvement required by management.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Milhars
TheChesterGrosvenor, Guest Relations Manager at The Chester Grosvenor, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2018

Dear Milhars,

Thank you for your review, and I am delighted to read that your arrival to The Chester Grosvenor was a warm and friendly one.

I am very sorry to read your comments with regard to your accommodation, and I too share in your disappointment. Should you wish to discuss your comments further then I would welcome the opportunity to discuss these with your directly. If you would be so kind as to contact me on Danielle.Facer@ChesterGrosvenor.com.

Reviewed 8 January 2018

Enjoyed the most amazing afternoon at the Grosvenor Hotel, lunch first followed by Handbags in Harmony ladies choir to entertain and sing to us. This was a Christmas celebration event, and one I| would certainly wish to repeat. The dining room was so beautifully decorated and we were treated like royalty. Glass of bubbly on arrival if wished, and bottles of water, still or sparkling on hand on your table at all times. Lunch was lovely, and hot considering the amount of people to be served, and tea and coffee in abundance (with a mince pie of course) afterwards. The choir was wonderful, a really pleasant, fun filled afternoon. Lovely memories.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
TheChesterGrosvenor, Guest Relations Manager at The Chester Grosvenor, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2018

Dear Judith A,

Thank you for taking the time to write your kind review following your ‘Handbags in Harmony’ ladies lunch in December.

I am delighted you had such an enjoyable afternoon, and I am pleased to announce our dates for 2018 are for Sunday 16th December and Friday 21st December. If you would like any assistance in making any future reservations please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Chester Grosvenor in the near future!

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 7 January 2018

We stayed here for one night as a surprise for my Birthday. My wife had booked in December and got the room for £200 instead of £400. On arrival we parked in the Grosvenor multi-storey which is attached at the rear; the car park charges £10 per 24hrs. but reception validated parking with a small subsidy and charged £8.50 per 24hrs.

On arrival our case was taken by the concierge and we checked in. We were given a free upgrade and were allocated room 132 which is on the first floor at the end of the corridor. The room itself was large, clean, modern and warm. We ordered room service at 02:30 hours when we came back from our evening and our sandwich came 20mins later. Despite the time of night the food was very good.

Breakfast the following morning was table service; we were seated and provided with menus. Continental breakfast is included but a cooked breakfast is an extra £9.50 which I thought was disappointing considering we paid £200 for the night and actually its usually £400. Despite the extra charge breakfast was good.

Overall we had a very pleasant stay.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mr_MrsBeckett
TheChesterGrosvenor, Guest Relations Manager at The Chester Grosvenor, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2018

Dear Mr_MrsBeckett,

Thank you for taking the time to feedback following your recent stay with us at The Chester Grosvenor, and I am pleased to read how enjoyable your stay was. Thank you for your kind words with regards to our housekeeping and room service, which I will be sure to share with the relevant team members who will be thrilled you had such a wonderful stay.

I do hope we may have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future, and if I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed 7 January 2018

We stayed there for the hotel New Year's Eve party which was great fun with Taittinger Champagne, food by Simon Radley, entertainment by Red Hot Opera and dancing. On arrival we were met by a uniformed concierge who valet-parked our car. The room was fine with good sized bed. The in-room kettle has to be moved to the desk to plug in. Wi-fi works and is free. At breakfast there was too long a wait for a glass of water needed urgently. Apparently it needed to come from the bar together with other drinks.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MijasEsteban

Dear MijasEsteban,

I am delighted you had such a wonderful time celebrating New Years with us here at The Chester Grosvenor! It sounds like you had a thoroughly fantastic stay, and it will be my pleasure to share your thanks with all the team.

Many thanks for such a terrific review; it's much appreciated by us all, and I do hope we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 4 January 2018

My Wife and I have stayed at this hotel on a number of occasions over the previous 10 years. Its an excellent hotel and we have always had a fantastic stay and very good service, I booked through booking.com at a very good rate of £162.00 for one night in an executive room. On arrival we were allocated room 248, this was exceptionally clean, of a really good size and very nicely decorated/furnished. One very small criticism was the location of the tea/coffee tray, it was on a shelf above the fridge with no socket present, when we needed to use the kettle we had to plug it in over the other side of the room on the dressing table which isn't ideal.
Although I'm not a big fan of showers over a bath in general the bathroom was of a very good standard, the shower was adjustable with powerful water pressure, the towels are also of premium quality.
We attended breakfast which due to refurbishments was being hosted in the Simon Radley restaurant. We were seated at 9.08am and asked if we wanted any drinks - tea or coffee, orange juice etc. Continental breakfast, fruit, croissants etc are included in the normal tariff but we both decided to pay the extra for the full english, one with poached eggs and one with scrambled eggs at £9.50 each which we ordered. We also ordered tea, orange juice, cereal and mixed toast the mixed toast and drinks arrived at around 9.25am shortly followed by our cereal at around 9.30am. At 9.55am when a waitress came to our table to clear our cereal bowls I asked where our hot food was, she said 'it had been called' and would be with us very shortly. We weren't prepared to wait any longer so at 10.12am I called another waitress over, but before I had any chance to speak she said our breakfast would not be very much longer. The reason I was calling her over was to tell her we weren't prepared to wait any longer and were leaving the restaurant. When I told her this she offered no apology for the wait whatsoever and just said okay, we then left the restaurant.
My Wife advised reception of our wait and requested that the extra charge was not added to our bill on checking out due to the fact that we didn't receive what we had ordered, again no real apology was made.
We then went to our room to get our belongings packed ready for our departure. On settling the bill the member of staff who checked us out made a big point that we were not being charged for the breakfast, 'quite laughable really when we didn't even receive it' am I missing something, should I have been grateful??
This is a 5* hotel, I cannot believe why we weren't offered any explanation whatsoever of why we should be expected to wait for over an hour for a cooked breakfast, I also cannot believe how a 5* hotel wouldnt see it fit to offer me some small gesture of compensation such as offering to pay the £8.50 parking charge added to my bill for my parking in the Grosvenor Multi storey, or even a small discount offered to us on any future stay.

If this had been done then I wouldnt have written this poor review.

This is a great hotel right in the centre of a fantastic City, but sadly our stay was let down by a very disappointing breakfast service.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank paul432144
TheChesterGrosvenor, Guest Relations Manager at The Chester Grosvenor, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2018

Dear paul432144,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a comprehensive and constructive view of your stay with us, and I was concerned to read the points that you have raised.

As you have highlighted a number of issues I would welcome the opportunity to look into theses and respond to you personally, to that end perhaps you will be kind enough to contact me directly at Danielle.Facer@ChesterGrosvenor.com with the date of your stay.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.