Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel
Dene Hotel(Chester)
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Breakfast included
1,657 results
All reviewspark and ridehealth clubleisure facilitiesevening mealbar pricesbreakfast was buffet stylecity centresteam roomcheshire oaksboth nightstea and coffeetwo night stayenjoyable staystayed here for one nightweekend breakyogurtcanal
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 February 2018

comfortable hotel. Parking on site. Not far from a couple of good pubs in the village. Nice walk down the canal. If you like squirrels,go feed them in Grosvenor Park in town at Chester. They are almost too tame....look on youtube ;-)

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Eric S, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2018

Dear Guest,

Many Thanks for taking the time to review us at the Mercure Chester Abbots Well.

Unfortunately today is my first day but I did not want you to think your review had been ignored.
Although I am unable to honestly respond to previous reviews I can assure you they will be read, actioned and shared with the team.

Reviewed 8 February 2018

Firstly I felt I had to write a review due to some negative ones that concerned me. Please be assured this is a lovely hotel, check in staff are really friendly and helpful. We booked a privilege room which was comfortable with robes, slippers, widescreen tv and a daily newspaper. The leisure club we used twice, nice size pool, sauna steam room and jacuzzi. Breakfast was a good choice of cereals, fruit, yoghurt, hot buffet, toast, pastries and coffee or tea. Our room was cleaned daily to a good standard, fresh towels daily. The public areas were clean and nicely decorated. We used taxis into town for £5-6 and also took a train into Liverpool for just £5.20. Great location and if you want to eat local there is a lovely pub/restaurant called 'ring o bells' in the centre of the village. I would definitely stay here again and would recommend to friends.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Diane T

Reviewed 7 February 2018 via mobile

Great location for exploring the area and North Wales Coast. Close to Park and Ride for easy access to Chester. Comfortable room. Excellent food in Brasserie as part of DBB option. Would definitely stay again.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank Emma W

Reviewed 5 February 2018 via mobile

Bed was very comfy and food was excellent in the restaurant. Highly recommend the lamb shank with a glass of Merlot. The waiter tended for the table well. Only reason for the loss of one star was we did have to wait at the bar for a long time but we could here the staff chatting away round the corner and had to ask the receptionist to get someone. Other than that was a lovely stay with the usual mercure breakfast buffet!

Stayed: December 2017, travelled on business

Reviewed 5 February 2018

I stayed here for a week whilst in the area on a course. Check-in was friendly and efficient.

The room was fine, clean and with a desk. Bathroom was good - the shower was hot and reasonably powerful but like most hotels the head didn't detach from the wall.

Breakfast was reasonable with a good hot buffet, although the choice didn't vary each day the food was of reasonable quality - although it would have been nice to have the choice of scrambled eggs in addition to the supplied fried ones.

There is also a cold breakfast buffet but the choice was very limited

Evening meals were a little on the pricey side and were a little disappointing. I had an evening meal twice. The first time my main course appeared within about 30 seconds of my starter plate being removed - and that was removed pretty quickly after I had finished it ..... which suggests the main course had been prepared already and was sitting around.

This suspicion was confirmed the second time I ate in the restaurant this time there was a decent gap between my finishing my starter and the main course arriving - however it was immediately clear the main course had been sitting around for some time as it was very dry, as happens when food is kept under a heat lamp.

However the biggest gripe and hence only three stars is the price of drinks.

OK I accept drinks in a hotel are very rarely cheap and, in a way I only have myself to blame, however I ordered a double gin of the day plus a tonic only to be charged £18 for the privilege. That is ridiculous - I even put out a challenge on social media for people to guess how much I was charged and the nearest guess was £12. I really don't know how they can justify charging £7.50, plus £3 for the tonic.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled on business