“Outdated,over priced”
Review of The Mill Hotel

The Mill Hotel
Ranked #11 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed 11 August 2016 via mobile

I visited Chester (a city I love) with a good friend I don't see a lot of (who I also love!!) I was determined to have fun. I really tried and tried to find something I liked about this hotel and simply couldn't. From cool, abrupt staff to outdated decor to non-working lifts to old fashioned a very basic VERY noisy room to below average breakfast. I have paid much less for much more modern hotels with friendlier staff, nicer rooms and better breakfasts. Will I re-visit this hotel? No. Not even if it were free I'm afraid I really disliked it. There was nothing I could go and complain about - it just simply wasn't good enough.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank sjw191255
Write a ReviewReviews (1,530)

Reviewed 10 August 2016

Don't come here expecting the wifi to work properly, we had massive issues with it, and when we were able to connect, the speed was abysmal. When we talked to the front desk about the wifi issues, they said that they had just had somebody check it, and it was fine. I don't know where it was fine, but in our 3rd floor room and the lobby, it was not fine. The wifi was so unworkable, we ended up using a hotspot,

Also it feels a bit neglected. The front desk staff was not as friendly as we've had in most hotels we've been to, one lady was almost abrupt, and it needs a paint job in quite a few places. If I hadn't paid so much for it (last minute family room) it would have been okay, but I expected more considering how much we paid.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
MillHotel, Guest Relations Manager at The Mill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2016

Dear SunInHawaii

I am very sorry that there were aspects of your stay that did not exceed your expectation. We take great pride in striving to exceed our guests expectations so it is most disappointing that we didn't succeed on this occasion.
We do value all feedback we receive and we will be sure to look into your comments.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to stay again.

kind regards

Reviewed 10 August 2016

Nice hotel and in a good location. 5 mins walk from the station and another 5 mins walk into the City centre.

The rooms are OK - they serve their purpose but they feel a little dated.
Bathrooms are OK - again, could to with an update.

Breakfast was good - a nice choice of hot and cold food.

The hotel manager was very helpful (I think her name is Jane) and she gave us some good tips of what to do.

Overall a nice hotel stay. I stayed for 1 day but I wouldn't want to stay for longer than that.

Room Tip: Prob best to get a room on the canal side of the hotel as the road side is quite loud
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
MillHotel, Guest Relations Manager at The Mill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2016

Dear Shindymindy

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Mill Hotel & Spa. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us but also disappointed to hear you would not want to stay longer with us. I do apologise if we were unable to meet your expectations on this occasion but would like to reassure you that we do have an ongoing refurbishment programme in place and are constantly making improvements.

Once again I apologise and I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to stay.

Reviewed 9 August 2016

Very pleasant hotel. Breakfast and dinner was good variety and very good value. Nicely positioned on the canal and easy to get into a very quaint town centre. The walk round the wall was good but take some water on a warm day. There was parking at the hotel which gets busy as the day goes on. Chester zoo was easy to get too. I would go back without hesitation.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled with friends

Dear Flogel

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay you have had at The Mill Hotel & Spa. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you sincerely for your positive comments in relation to your experiences during your time with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed 8 August 2016

We booked for nights knowing little about Chester, or The Mill. What a lovely surprise on both counts. Our room was, as requested, quiet with the added bonus of a canal view, breakfast and dinner were very good indeed, the staff were great, friendly and efficient and the addition of the really good spa was a bonus. You can dine on the hotels narrow boat, or take tea and float around the canal whist doing so too. The location is great, five minutes into town, about the same to the station, we came by train, and if you chose a walk by the canal there are some great small but significant historic industrial sites on the way to stunning countryside- just FAB. We are diary searching for a return date as there is so much to see in the area.

Room Tip: The hotel straddles the canal via a pedestrian bridge, our room was opposite the main hotel faciliti...
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple

Dear Angela C

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at The Mill Hotel & Spa. Thank you sincerely for your positive comments in relation to your experiences with us, I am delighted you had such an enjoyable stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.