1,783 results
All reviews canal boat real ale bar dinner cruise canaletto restaurant business room overlooking the canal club room city centre premier room dinner dance car park health club bar prices spa facilities lovely hotel no air con breakfast was buffet style
Reviewed 12 October 2017

Very large and busy property, and some of the rooms overlook a very busy road and are not air conditioned so are noisy in warm weather. We asked to move and were given a room on the quiet side for our second night, staff were friendly and helpful, but check when you are booking!
Good parking and easy, level walk along the canal to most key locations in the city.

Room tip: Make sure you don't overlook main road.
Date of stay: September 2017
1  Thank Stephen L
emmarainford, Guest Relations Manager at The Mill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2017

Dear Stephen L

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay with us at The Mill Hotel & Spa.

We highly appreciate our guests’ comments as they help us to improve our service, ensuring that we deliver an experience in line with our guests’ expectations.

Feedback is a gift and we are always grateful to know where we can improve.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Mill Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 10 October 2017

My husband & I stayed here for the weekend when I was taking part in Chester marathon. The hotel location is great, along the canal & only a 5 minute walk to the centre. Very spacious room, although it was facing a busy road which meant there was some traffic noise. As there were several runners staying there, the hotel had arranged an early continental breakfast for anyone who needed it. The following morning it was the full English cooked breakfast which was very tasty.
I used the swimming pool & hot tub while there & was impressed with the spa facilities. We ate dinner in the hotel wine bar on Sunday night & food was excellent and reasonably priced.
Overall, my husband & I were happy with this hotel & would definitely recommend it.

1  Thank missinver

Dear Missinver

Thank you for highlighting so many positive elements of your stay.

Thank you for recommending us to future travellers, and I look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 10 October 2017

Just enjoyed a weekend break in the gorgeous mill hotel. From the moment we arrived the staff were very friendly and helpful.
The rooms are huge, spotless and the beds so comfy!! Loads of storage space, tea/coffee making facilities, ironing board and iron (we actually had 2 of each in our room) hairdryer and a very deep corner bath.
Breakfast was delicious, ample choice laid out but if you wanted anything specific you just had to ask.
We had afternoon tea on the restaurant cruiser, a wide beamed barge which runs daily trips from the hotel up the canal. They also do lunch and dinner trips. Very pleasant experience.
We didn't use the spa facilities so can't comment on these.
On checking out we decided we'd like to spend the day at the zoo before heading home and the staff were perfectly happy for us to leave our bags in their luggage room to collect later in the day.
Brilliant location, 5 mins walk along the canal to town centre.
Overall a perfect stay! Would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for comfort, friendliness and an excellent location.

1  Thank blackwidow2008

Dear blackwidow2008

We are delighted to know that you had an enjoyable stay and we were able to accommodate your needs. It is very rewarding to receive these comments as we strive to provide excellent customer service.

I am delighted you have had such an enjoyable break and had chance to experience our unique Restaurant Cruiser.

Reviewed 10 October 2017

Lovely hotel in a perfect location, nice and close to all the shops and restaurants. The rooms are quite standard but they have everything you need in them and the bed is super comfortable! The Spa area is great, a bit small but the staff were always really nice when we went down to use the pool area. Only thing I would say that could improve was the breakfast, it just seemed all greasy/fatty food and only a small selection of fruit/yoghurt. Otherwise, I had a great weekend break here!

1  Thank Jade M

Dear Jade A

I am delighted that you highlight our fantastic location and the friendliness of the team!

I was also sorry to read your comments regarding breakfast, as this is certainly not indicative of the feedback that we normally get about breakfast. I will pass your comments onto the Food & Beverage Manager.

Reviewed 9 October 2017

This hotel was booked for a short two night break away by a friend and his wife who we travelled by train with to Chester. We strolled from the station to the hotel in 7 to ten minutes and were plesently greeted by the attentive staff who swiftly checked us in and outlined all the information required required for our stay. The rooms on floor five were smaller than our usual choice as were the bathroom but I hasten to add that they had everything that was needed to make our stay pleasant, a large TV (with Sky) tea making facilities, two hair dryers etc. Both rooms 508 and 509 had bags of character with the original wooden beams running through them and 508 had particularly lovely views of the adjacent canal. It was very close to Chester city centre and we walked to both, the city walls, city centre, Cathederal and various canal pubs Resteraunt with in five to ten minutes. The breakfast was both well stocked with not only every thing you could think of but also beautifully cooked with such attention to detail as even your toast choice cooked for you freshly whilst you waited by a dedicated member of staff enabling you to pick up cereals and by the time you returned it was ready and waiting for you. ALL THE STAFF had bought into the family run ethos of service, service, service and we were treated like kings on our stay. The hotel was fully booked on our stay and busy and yet at no time were we like other hotels of a larger size kept waiting for anything. The range of real ales available were nothing short of breathtaking as were the quirky resteraunt disco evening meal that we had by chance. We had decided not to go out on our Saturday night as the weather had taken a turn for the worse and had asked that morning if we could both have a reservation for that evening and some ice for some celebratory bottles of fizz that we had brought and were in our room. I was expecting at least a tray charge to supply this if at all. I was surprised to hear that even though it was busy on the Saturday we were accepted and given the opportunity to choose the time of our choice to dine were duly booked in and she had arranged there and then for a bucket of ice to be delivered to our room and a tray of champagne flutes with the ice bucket being refreshed all day as on our return in the evening it was super chilled and delicious all at no charge. We dressed for dinner and again were treated to a small choice menu but that only seemed to make the choices both easier and perfectly cooked. The waiter who I unfortunate forgot to make a note of his name was extreamly charismatic and was shortly about to be married over in Ireland as we later found out. Our wine waitress (Jules) was wonderfully attentive and had a bubbly character, so much so that by the time we left at 12.30 it seemed like she had been a lifelong friend. Please don’t be put off by my description of a “disco evening meal” as we are all in our 60’s and had we known, we probably may not have booked or left straight after our meal and how wriong we would have been. An elderly gentleman arrived half way through our meal and was seated on the table next to us. When we had finished our meal I found out that it was the owner a Mr Gordon Vickers who was such a gentleman not only to our party but all the guests that evening treating us all to a demonstration of opening a Champagne bottle with a Sabre and pouring us all drinks. All the staff revered there employer and genuinely loved him. All chain hotels in my opinion have the same as this hotel, lifts, bars, TV’s etc but what makes this one different to the rest is the staff and service. We will definitely be calling back at some stage from South Wales and if you are reading this urge you to do the same.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Ian S

Dear Ian S

The team and I are thrilled to see your wonderful comments and feedback as this really acts as a great motivator.

It is important for us to ensure we look after each and every guest who walks through our doors and I am thrilled to see you had such a positive experience whilst you stayed with us.