“Lovely fish restaurant”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 12 October 2021 via mobile

Really nice food and relaxed atmosphere. Staff were very welcoming. Great selection of fish dishes. We all enjoyed our choices.

Date of visit: October 2021
Write a reviewReviews (1,150)

Reviewed 10 October 2021 via mobile

I visited with my parents and sisters to celebrate a birthday. It was lovely to receive such a warm, personable welcome from staff that recognised us. They were so accommodating and friendly throughout the service and the food was top-notch, as always. Great cocktails, too!

1  Thank lovedaym722
Reviewed 8 October 2021 via mobile

This restaurant is set in a lovely old building overlooking the harbour and following the mostly good reviews we decided to go her on the last night of our holiday locally. The staff were really friendly and accommodating even though we were a little early.

We ordered two starters my partner had squid and I had the fish cakes - this restaurant has an open kitchen which in my experience is the sign of a confident chef, it was a little off putting to watch my fish cakes be microwaved and then served on shop brought sauces - for the prices they are charging I would have personally expected different. That said they all tasted great although if my partner commented that her squid was quite a lot thicker than she had had elsewhere during the week and a little on the greasy side she ate it.

For mains we had the cod and the steak - again the dauphinois potatoes were microwaved to be reheated and as a result the sauce had split. My steak was perfectly cooked but the chips and onion rings were way too greasy and the onion inside raw. The food wasn’t inedible by any stretch but when you are charging nearly £20 a dish which puts you in the higher price band locally I don’t think it’s too much to ask to have fresh ingredients rather than frozen chips and shop brought sauces.

We then ordered a desert which was advertised as having Cornish ice cream, fudge pieces, biscuit and cream. After ordering I noticed a member of staff come back in with two tubs of walls ice cream sure enough my desert came out shortly after a glass full of walls ice cream and a tiny bit of Carmel sauce at the bottom, in fairness to the restaurant when this was raised with them it was removed from our bill, surely if you are running out something take it off the menu rather than trying to charge someone £6 for some shop brought ice cream and taking them for a fool?

Overall we left feeling a little disappointed, maybe my expectations are a little high but at this price point you should expect everything to be freshly cooked rather than reheated in a microwave.

Reviewed 6 October 2021 via mobile

Lovely food here! Glad we booked in as there are only a few tables inside. We had the baked camambert to start followed by the cod loin and the catch of the day with chips. The portions were generous and it was delicious, would definitely recommend!

Reviewed 4 October 2021

we found the staff very helpful and Kieran kept me amused running up and down stairs in fact the waitress explained they were trying to keep him fit !! The cocktail - well I could have drunk more of them!! They are very aware of not touching too much of the cutlery etc - covid awareness great. The music was my generation which helped the atmosphere no end !! We both had the soup whch was mushroom - I can recommend that. Then the seafood pie - OMG full of fish and what I liked was not mash on top but sliced potatoes - too busy eating mine to ask my husband what his was like !! We we not rushed , so had time to let one part of the meal go down, before the next part.All in all good food, good wine and a lovely old building. I would say more of an adult restaurant than one for small children.