“Friendly and good food.”

St Mawes Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 18 Restaurants in St Mawes
Price range: US$18 - US$46
Description: The bar restaurant at the St Mawes Hotel is a convivial escape to enjoy authentic quality dishes that will showcase the best locally sourced Cornish ingredients. Menu options include both smaller and larger dishes based on the wonderful produce from the sea, alongside stone baked pizzas and daily specials. Alfresco tables provide an idyllic location to make the most of sunny days.
Reviewed 13 September 2017

A good meal served by cheerful staff. Tasty simple food well prepared. Good choice of wine by the glass.

BenSMH, Manager at St Mawes Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2017

Many thanks for taking the time to let us know about your meal with us. Really great to read that you had a good all round experience with us and hopefully we will see you again soon! All the best, Ben

Reviewed 13 September 2017

Wet and windy night; staff reception seemed to capture the mood of the weather. Front of house greeting was 'indifferent, borderline unfriendly'. We didn't feel welcome. Ordered two drinks whilst waiting to be shown to our table. Only one was as ordered, the other wrong. Probably should have read the tea leaves at this stage and wandered to another option, but regrettably didn't.

Starters were ok, but portion size of the mackerel was disappointing and difficult to justify the price.

Steak for main course. Rib eye is my favoured cut and I ordered medium rare as usual. I can eat my steaks rare, but this was served inedible in my opinion. For the first time in my dining experience I had to ask for the steak to be returned for more cooking. Waiting staff were very good in dealing with this, but the returned steak was hardly any different. I could sense the chefs indignation! With a 'fatty' cut you need to apply heat to render it. The fat was raw and unpleasant and the steak far from tender. At least 30% of the steak returned to the kitchen; not even fit for the doggy bag request.

The table waiting staff did a decent job and I have no qualms with their help, but they seemed badly supported by front of staff reception and kitchen. We ate here twice last year and couldn't fault the food or experience; what a disappointing return.

As if to amplify the staff support we watched newly arriving (elderly) clients struggling to their rooms with bags. My wife even got up to help one lady who was clearly having difficulty, despite at least two members of nearby staff being completely oblivious to the situation. Uncaring indifference seemed to be the theme!!

Many thanks for taking the time to write your review and for letting me know about your meal with us. I am very disappointed to hear about your experience and would like to talk to you about this further at a time that is convenient.

Please email your number to me at ben@stmawes.com with a suitable time and I will call you to discuss further.

Kind regards, Ben (Hotel Manager)

Reviewed 7 September 2017

Ben fitted us on a small table by the door, as we dropped in on an early August evening. The place was understandably buzzing, in a good way, with folk spilling out onto the Harbour side, with their pints of Tribute & Doombar. The scallop starter was zingy, and the fish main-course was excellent, when it came. My wife's fish-cakes were moorish and tasty. The hotel has rooms over looking the estuary , so we will return out-of-season.

SMHBen, Manager at St Mawes Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2017

It was great to meet you and I am so glad you enjoyed your experience with us. I will pass on your kind words to the rest of the team and we very much look forward to welcoming you again soon. All the best, Ben

Reviewed 19 August 2017 via mobile

After being caught in a mid Autumn hail storm we dropped into this bar/restaurant for shelter, and as it turned out, some great food. I recommend the moules mariniere with chips, excellent. Has obviously been recently refurbished in contemporary sea side style. Very stylish.

SMHBen, Manager at St Mawes Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2017

Thank you for your kind comments on your meal with us and be assured that I will pass on your kind words to our chefs. Many thanks, Ben

Reviewed 30 July 2017

We were staying in the Idle Rocks & ate here for a change on the second night. Apparently this is its sister hotel.

The meal we had was ok & we ordered a bottle of red which arrived 35 minutes before our meal! It was just plonked on the table & the waiter didn't even offer to take the top off & pour. Just left it there & went on to take an order from another table.

So my main gripe is, as there were very few dining that evening to wait 35 minutes for any of your order to arrive is very poor.

The overal difference in quality of service in this & it's sister hotel "The idle Rocks" is huge, but I guess what you pay for & take your choice

1  Thank adetanner

We really appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback following your evening with us at The St Mawes Hotel. I am obviously concerned to hear about your experiences with the restaurant service and further to this, I would very much appreciate being able to discuss this in person with you. Can you please email me at ben@stmawes.com with a suitable time and contact telephone number?

I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards, Ben