“A Real Surprise”

St Mawes Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 18 Restaurants in St Mawes
Price range: US$20 - US$49
Description: The bar restaurant at the St Mawes Hotel is a convivial escape to enjoy authentic quality dishes that will showcase the best locally sourced Cornish ingredients. Menu options include both smaller and larger dishes based on the wonderful produce from the sea, alongside stone baked pizzas and daily specials. Alfresco tables provide an idyllic location to make the most of sunny days.
Reviewed 21 September 2017

Lunch time in St Mawes - no idea where we were going to eat. The St Mawes Hotel had tables outside and it was sunny...
The menu looked interesting and the light bites appealed. The fishcake in chowder and the scallop and crab au gratin were exceptional...far better than we'd expected - and reasonably priced. Service was friendly and efficient. Brilliant. Thanks.

BenSMH, Manager at St Mawes Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2017

Many thanks for your kind words, which I have passed on to the kitchen and front of house teams. We very much hope to welcome you back one day soon. Kind regards, Ben

Reviewed 15 September 2017 via mobile

We have lunch in St Mawes Hotel three times
Each time great variety of well presented sea food
Great staff , really friendly , nice wine list and good ambience
To be honest preferred the food to their big sister Idle Rocks

BenSMH, Manager at St Mawes Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2017

Dear David. Thank you for your kind words and may I say how delighted I am to hear how much you enjoyed your lunch with us. Please do come and visit us again soon. Kind regards, Ben

Reviewed 13 September 2017

A good meal served by cheerful staff. Tasty simple food well prepared. Good choice of wine by the glass.

Many thanks for taking the time to let us know about your meal with us. Really great to read that you had a good all round experience with us and hopefully we will see you again soon! All the best, Ben

Reviewed 13 September 2017

Wet and windy night; staff reception seemed to capture the mood of the weather. Front of house greeting was 'indifferent, borderline unfriendly'. We didn't feel welcome. Ordered two drinks whilst waiting to be shown to our table. Only one was as ordered, the other wrong. Probably should have read the tea leaves at this stage and wandered to another option, but regrettably didn't.

Starters were ok, but portion size of the mackerel was disappointing and difficult to justify the price.

Steak for main course. Rib eye is my favoured cut and I ordered medium rare as usual. I can eat my steaks rare, but this was served inedible in my opinion. For the first time in my dining experience I had to ask for the steak to be returned for more cooking. Waiting staff were very good in dealing with this, but the returned steak was hardly any different. I could sense the chefs indignation! With a 'fatty' cut you need to apply heat to render it. The fat was raw and unpleasant and the steak far from tender. At least 30% of the steak returned to the kitchen; not even fit for the doggy bag request.

The table waiting staff did a decent job and I have no qualms with their help, but they seemed badly supported by front of staff reception and kitchen. We ate here twice last year and couldn't fault the food or experience; what a disappointing return.

As if to amplify the staff support we watched newly arriving (elderly) clients struggling to their rooms with bags. My wife even got up to help one lady who was clearly having difficulty, despite at least two members of nearby staff being completely oblivious to the situation. Uncaring indifference seemed to be the theme!!

Many thanks for taking the time to write your review and for letting me know about your meal with us. I am very disappointed to hear about your experience and would like to talk to you about this further at a time that is convenient.

Please email your number to me at ben@stmawes.com with a suitable time and I will call you to discuss further.

Kind regards, Ben (Hotel Manager)

Reviewed 7 September 2017

Ben fitted us on a small table by the door, as we dropped in on an early August evening. The place was understandably buzzing, in a good way, with folk spilling out onto the Harbour side, with their pints of Tribute & Doombar. The scallop starter was zingy, and the fish main-course was excellent, when it came. My wife's fish-cakes were moorish and tasty. The hotel has rooms over looking the estuary , so we will return out-of-season.

SMHBen, Manager at St Mawes Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2017

It was great to meet you and I am so glad you enjoyed your experience with us. I will pass on your kind words to the rest of the team and we very much look forward to welcoming you again soon. All the best, Ben